• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hornady ELD-M 123 gr. Black Box on Coyote #1

Video: https://youtu.be/DSZhQSuhj9E

When y'all shoot your coyotes, are you taking a close look at them to see what sort of condition they are in? Just curious. I seem to be shooting a goodly % of coyotes that are in distress. This first coyote last night had several sores on her and had a swollen elbow with open sores or wounds on it that exposed the underlying muscle and connective tissue. This seems to be the cause of her limp.

In the video, she is a bit hard to see. This isn't because of high humidity, distance, or lack of optics, but because she is mostly occluded by vegetation.

I made a headshot on this coyote, the hard way. The shot entered the left side along the lower thoracic vertebrae, breaking the spinal column in two and exiting the right side. The coyote was severely quartered away at the time and had turned her head such that the exiting bullet traveled forward and into the side of her face. The entry into the face was quite large, as you can see in the video. So by that point, the bullet was well expanded and/or fragmented.

I made an equally good shot with the second coyote. You can see in the slow motion how steady I was (new tripod helped!), the lack of flinch, and also the lack of timing, the coyote taking off just before the shot. The quarter second delay plus 0.1 second flight time was more than the enough for the coyote to be completely out of the way of the bullet by the time it arrived. It was a quick event, but I knew I was in a sendero situation and I should have been more ready. So the coyote got educated and I got schooled.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • AK Again
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

The only time I've noticed a coyote's condition was once when I was out hunting rattlesnakes and came across a coyote pup with either rabies or distemper. I shot it with my 20-ga. at about 10 paces. It died.
    Still, it's interesting to note the condition of game and predators when you observe them/shoot them/whatnot. Says a lot about conditions afield.

Comment

• Les
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Around here the last few years lots of mange. A few haired out good, but overall mangy, and yes to getting schooled once in a while. Makes life interesting.
      Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

I went out last night to try and find a hog, they were there but the grass was too high to shoot through and they spooked before I got withing the 30 yards of them where I could make a shot. On the way home near the railroad tracks I saw a coyote take off so I stopped to see if it would stop, there was a good moon and it did. About 125 yards out I hit her just right in the shoulder with the ELDM and it broke both shoulders exiting with an almost 2 inch exit hole. The bullet damage notwithstanding this coyote had almost no hair and to call it a stinking ugly mess would be a kind way of putting it. In skinny poor condition also though there is no shortage of small game in the area.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

A few coyotes I have killed seemed more of a mercy killing than anything else a few have been in bad shape from mange to one with broken leg.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Wait until you see my next one...

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

So glad you are doing these tests with the eld-m.. I'm not counting then out just yet..

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

And this is the next one...

Well, I had time, gear, and remembered plenty of gloves, but only shot this one coyote and it was so nasty that I tried handling it as little as possible. On top of that, I screwed up part of the video. Even so, the ELD-M entered the chest at the base of the neck and never exited. The coyote dropped in place - no problem.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

What a miserable life that mangy yote must have had.

Looks like you did him a favor.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Don't blame you for not touching it. I'd doubt it'd make it to winter. We have some of those here.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Might want to consider contacting the local Vet School to have them do a necropsy to see what the cause of the ailments is. Might have a plague running around.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        Might want to consider contacting the local Vet School to have them do a necropsy to see what the cause of the ailments is. Might have a plague running around.
                        More than likely, it is going to be Sarcoptic Mange. All the open, bleeding wounds are going to be from skin being unprotected by hair and from repeated scratching due to the intense itching causes by the mites.

Comment

Working...
                        X