• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FireFromNJ
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Federal 90 grain will not eject

I have searched this forum for a while looking for an answer or answers to a new 6.5 build I recently completed. The rifle functions flawless with Hornady sst and amax. Also works with wolf steel case. Federal 90 grain TNT will not eject??? Well sometimes if a single round is loaded it will spit it at a 1:00 position barely clearing the ejection port. Today after tearing the rifle down and switching to another bolt i tried again and same result. If I never shoot these again I would be fine with it but I guess its the fact that i would like this rifle or any of my rifles to work with a wide range of ammunition. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    19" rifle length 1-8 6.5 type 2 barrel (threads removed from a 20" barrel)
    Lancer fixed A2 stock
  • FireFromNJ
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by FireFromNJ View Post
    I have searched this forum for a while looking for an answer or answers to a new 6.5 build I recently completed. The rifle functions flawless with Hornady sst and amax. Also works with wolf steel case. Federal 90 grain TNT will not eject??? Well sometimes if a single round is loaded it will spit it at a 1:00 position barely clearing the ejection port. Today after tearing the rifle down and switching to another bolt i tried again and same result. If I never shoot these again I would be fine with it but I guess its the fact that i would like this rifle or any of my rifles to work with a wide range of ammunition. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    19" rifle length 1-8 6.5 type 2 barrel (threads removed from a 20" barrel)
    Lancer fixed A2 stock
    Odin adjustable gas block

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I'd try giving it more gas.

The lighter pill has less bearing surface, less friction and is out the muzzle before enough gas passes thru the port.

That's my theory
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• FireFromNJ
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

I'm planning to strip an clean reassemble and head to range with handguard off to adjust gas on a shot per shot. The case rims measure almost identical but there sizes are definitely different the hornady rims look thinner than the federal. I'm not sure if this is causing issues as well?

Comment

• Wafavre2
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

My guess, Undergassed. Load mag. With 1 round fire and open gas block till bolt catches open. Load mag. With 2 rounds and fire to check ejection, feeding and bolt catch after 2nd round. I used Wolf steel cased to set gas block and all the factory 123gr and handloads fed, ejected and bolt catch held after last round.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

When adjusting gas for bolt lock back make sure it's locking on the bolt catch and not the mag. While adjusting one of mine, it locked back but the mag wouldn't drop. That's when I noticed the bolt didn't quite go back far enough to engage the bolt catch. Another click or two did the trick.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• FireFromNJ
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

Right on heading out Sunday appreciate all the advice. Will update with hopefully good news

Comment

• FireFromNJ
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2017

Rifle worked perfectly I upgraded the extractor spring and made sure gas system was properly adjusted and bcg was well lubed. Ran through all my ammo wolf, federal and hornday without a hiccup.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

Cool deal!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Glad it's working good, and good job for all the good advice!
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                    X