X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acourvil
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

I haven't looked lately, but back when I was was looking, the best deaL was the Precision Firearms ammo, because it was a reasonable price AND loaded with Lapua brass. And it shot well in my gun.

Comment

• Bruw
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

That's an interesting observation LWP. I've checked the factory neck size from rounds in several different boxes, but I did not check the lot numbers. I'll try to look at those tonight and see if the is any variation between my lot numbers if I have different ones. If the neck thicknesses vary that much and I need multiple bushings, I'm gonna be pissed.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
        Warrior
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LWP View Post
        Also kiwi shooter this is a load that has really preformed well in my Mini Howa BOLT gun that you may want to try. 120gr Sierra HPBT with 30.5grs CFE 223, CCI-450 primer, seated at 2.260"coal. Out of my 20" bbl I get 2475fps av. which is not as fast as I would like, but very accurate. I will be testing with this bullet at higher speeds to see if there may be another node faster, and also with some different powders too. Will let you know if I find something that works as well for accuracy but faster.
        No I haven't measured new brass and as of about 1hour ago all my new stuff is now loaded so I can't help you with a measurement how ever the bullets did feel tight to seat
        Im useing hornady dies so I think they are what they are
        As far as neck tightness goes

Thanks for the load data if I decide to try 120's I'll give it ago
        I have a 260 remington also and I use 120's in that so i more want to shoot light weight bullets in the grendel

If you want to try my load its 100gn hp sierra varmint
        32.3gn cfe223
        Cci br4
        Oal 2.200
        Haven't cornoed it yet

Shot 0.334" at 100 yards with it during load testing
        Its a pretty light load ive loaded upto 34gn of cfe223 with this bullet and oal
        So should be pretty safe with this one in your howa
        IMG_0019.JPG
        Last edited by kiwi shooter; 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• LWP
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Cool Thanks kiwi, I'll try that load. I do have that bullet and powder. I too am looking for a light bullet to work in my bolt gun. Have been trying 90gr TNT's and 95gr V-Max's, but not too much yet on accuracy. I have only had one outing so far in testing those two bullets. Hope to go to the range this week sometime to try the next batch. Have pushed the 90gr TNT's up to 2950fps with 31.0grs VV N-133 with no pressure signs. There where some groups in the ladder test that looked promising, so I have some loaded for next outing. Will let you know results. Thanks again for your info with the 100gr SMK's HP's. Will load some up for testing and chronographing.

Comment

• LWP
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Hey kiwi shooter, haven't forgotten about your load to test and chronograph, just ran out of time after more testing with 120 and 123gr bullets. Also I have to confirm some other loads shot with my 6.5 Creedmoor.I may be headed back to the range this week for more testing, will let you know the results after that.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
              Warrior
              • Mar 2017

Be good to hear how you get on mine loves that load but as we all know 2 rifles the same don't always enjoy the same food

Comment

• Bruw
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2017

All twelve boxes of my 123gr SST factory ammo are from the same Lot # and a random sampling of a bunch of rounds from different boxes all measure between .2875 and .288 at the top of the throat.

Comment

• pokey
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2015

A friend of mine shoots 6.5 Grendel, and prefers lapua hands down. Lapua weighs about 3gr less than Hornady, and seems to allow about .2 gr more of IMR 8208 before pressure signs than Hornady. Factory brass, head to head, Lapua is better by about 3/4 moa, or even fully reworked hornady still looses by about 3/8 moa. Both loaded exactly the same.

Pokey.

Comment

Working...
                  X