• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timmy2Knives
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Greetings from a DC metro pistolero

Hey all. Been lurking on this forum for a while. Real wealth of knowledge here. Seems to be a lot of mis-info around about Grendel elsewhere. Always nice to find real factual info, not web echo-chamber nonsense.

My father raised me shooting, hunting, camping, and fishing from a very young age. He taught me the importance of our Constitution and 2A. He got his first AR way back when the AWB was setting in. Paid out the nose for it too! He was always more of a wood & blued steel type. That said, he does have a fully decked-out 6.8 SPC with about $3K in it. He likes *all* his guns. I am really the family AR addict: designing, sourcing, building, shooting, suppressed, FA - I love em!!!

Built my first AR as a pistol a few years ago when the SB15 was all the rage: 12.5 inch barrel "kino" config in 5.56. Still love that upper. 12.5s seem to fit me perfectly. Short enough to maneuver, but long enough to extend my support arm a bit. A little more velocity doesn't hurt either. Great all-around length.

Less than a year later, I built my second AR pistol upper. A 7.5" BA barrel chambered in 5.56. AKA the fire-breathing dragon. Fun to shoot for giggles, but not all that practical for me. Still have that barrel, but it is collecting dust in my closet.

Next, I re-barreled the 7.5" 5.56 with a med/heavy profile 8" barrel in 300 Blackout. Much more enjoyable to shoot - and more capable - than the 556 7.5". Added the Law gen3 folder with the Thordsen cheek rest. Great combo I highly recommend.

A few months later, I found a good deal on a SS 12.5" lightweight profile 300 Blackout barrel. So naturally, I built another upper for this barrel. Why both a 8" AND 12" blackout? Why the hell not I say??!?? Built another lower, so I can have two complete guns ready at all times.

Taking these lessons learned, I then built my second 8" Blackout upper (#3 Blackout upper haha) as a lightweight shorty: tapered 8" barrel, slim lightweight handguard, lightweight adjustable gas block, lightweight BCG. Run this on my Kino lower with a gutted carbine buffer @ 1.0 oz and RTB reduced power spring (yellow= -10%). This now sports the new SBM4 brace, which I also recommend highly. Way better than the Shockwave IMO.

I admit I really slept on 6.5 and thought 6.8 was superior. My Dad's 6.8 is bad ass. That thing has some punch for sure. When I read more on 6.5, I became very intrigued. The optimal BC is a huge strength. The efficiency of 6.5 amazes me. It almost defies conventional ballistic norms. I love it. Can't deny physics. A couple months ago, I came upon some threads discussing 6.5 Grendel SBRs/pistols. The chrono velocity figures were very impressive. Then I come to find I am not the only one keen on 12.5 ARs! Joy!!! Alas, I was too late for the group buy. Fortunately I found another affordable 12.5" Grendel barrel: SS, medium profile, carbine gas, 1:9 twist. This is my most recently completed upper. Gas block is a Seekins adjustable. Carrier is RTB lightweight. Bolt is NiB type 2 which came with the barrel. Finished her a week ago. Still need to test fire it. Feels nicely balanced and I think will be a sweet little rig, once tuned. My new favorite. (Pics in following posts below)

In addition, I have an 18" Grendel upper in the early building stages. My first true rifle AR - and it's a Grendel. Using a BCA right side charge upper receiver and bolt carrier, with one of their Grendel bolts. Barrel is SS, HBAR profile, straight flutes, 5R rifling. Should be a shooter. Trying to get this completed and a rifle lower built before Fall hunting season, but might simply take the 12.5 instead. For the East Coast wooded areas I hunt, there will not be any shots longer than 200 yards. Well within reach of the 12.5 Grendel.

The recent availability and price of Wolf ammo definitely helped me take the plunge. Now that I have, I wish I had sooner. I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Blackouts because they are so fun supressed... but I've lost most of my interest in hunting with that caliber (supers) now that I have the 6.5 in my arsenal.
    Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Welcome aboard! Your world just got a lot bigger. I love my 16" lightweight 300 BLK carbine and it would be extremely capable of resolving any "issues" within 200 yards (I load a 110 gr Varmageddon at 2330 fps and the Seekins match barrel is a laser), but where that is losing gas, a 6.5 Grendel is just getting warmed up. I do hope to do a suppressed BLK sbr/pistol some day but projects, projects, projects.....
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Timmy2Knives!

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!!

I've yet to build a 300 BLK, been on the fence between that or a 277 Wolverine for awhile now.. bnut man those Barnes black tip rounds look bad-ass!!

You should look up the numbers with a 12.5 Grendel using the 129 ABLR.. it's quite crazy.. like expansion out to 700 yards crazy out of a 12.5" AR..

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan! Also did the snubby 300BLK thing, great truck gun.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            Welcome aboard! Your world just got a lot bigger. I love my 16" lightweight 300 BLK carbine and it would be extremely capable of resolving any "issues" within 200 yards (I load a 110 gr Varmageddon at 2330 fps and the Seekins match barrel is a laser), but where that is losing gas, a 6.5 Grendel is just getting warmed up. I do hope to do a suppressed BLK sbr/pistol some day but projects, projects, projects.....
            Thanks mate. Your comparison of the two rounds is dead on. 300 BLK is great within 200 - maybe 250 - yards. As Haley and others have shown, it can definitely go further, but you have to use a lot of dope in your optic or Kentucky windage. I would simply feel more confident in taking any long shot with 6.5 over BLK.

Did not mean to imply that 300 BLK wouldn't be capable at my hunting distances. That is precisely why I was interested in the round initially... 223 is not legal for whitetail in VA. Blackout will get it done, but Grendel is more fun. Maybe that is simply because it is new to me and I am still learning. That will plateau a bit soon enough.

Highly recommend you try suppressed any way you can. Go to group shoots and check out what folks are running, etc. It's great fun.
            Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM. Reason: updating pics

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Thanks VASCAR, Kilco, and John. I will have to check out the 129 ABLR ballistics. Totally unfamiliar. I have reading to do.

My first deer rifle was a .270 and my old mans 6.8 SPC led me to considered 277 Wolverine as well. Spoke with the rounds creator a year or so ago and he seemed to be a good guy. However, I don't reload (yet?) so that steered me toward Blackout instead. Still may build a WLV one of these days. And a 458, and 762x39, and... Gotta love the multi-cal versatility of the AR platform!

Those stumpy little truck gun type builds can be a ton of fun. Surprisingly capable too. You really can be just as accurate with a cheeked pistol. Follow-on shots will be slightly slower than with a proper shoulder stock in your pocket though. Highly recommend every AR enthusiast build at least one in pistol config... and if going down that road, 300 BLK really is the best choice for a PDW role. Lack of muzzle blast and lack of velocity loss in barrels shorter than 16" show it was pretty much made for SBRs.

That said, a 6.5 Grendel 12.5" should make for a great performing weapon in a still very portable size. Can any of you guys tell me how bad muzzle blast is with 6.5's out of barrels <16? If you could compare to 556 and BLK that would be really helpful. I will find out for myself soon enough, but was curious.
              Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 12-13-2018, 08:31 PM. Reason: updating pics

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Yeah, I'm just hoping congress gets its act together and does something about the NFA rules. I have a hard time laying out the cash and waiting for the gub'ment to get around to the paperwork when I'm working on a high end AR10 build and knowing that the next time I walk into a "sporting goods" store, I'll probably look at (and hence, walk out with) the new Ruger SR1911 in 10mm...... That's even holding me back from buying a jug of CFE 223! Lol
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

Haha I hear ya Stoney... so many projects man! 10mm is badass, I'm jealous. What do those run?

HPA is actually kind of weak. I don't think it goes far enough. Would much prefer the SHUSH Act which deregulates cans to the level of accessories like muzzle brakes etc. But if I am totally honest I would take HPA. Anything to loosen NFA noose some.
                  Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM. Reason: updating pic

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Beautiful area out there.

Was stationed on the VA side of MDW in my first unit.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

VA has some very nice areas. I've been wanting to get out to Utah. Totally different country out there, but gorgeous in it's own right.

Are these pics I added above showing for you guys? They look fine on my laptop, but not showing on my phone.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

I'm not seeing any pics on my iPad. I think the SR1911 10mm lists around $900 and should eventually settle around $700. I've got a G20 and love it, but no ones ever going to split any hairs with a Glock. I do carry the G20 concealed in a sticky in the small of my back On hikes in jacket weather, but it is thick (if the libtards from Denver only knew - lol). I've always been intrigued by 1911s but I simply have no interest in 45 auto. The Ruger build looks like an ideal entry point - quality without going over the top and not too cheap where your going to feel like your going to want to upgrade everything
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

Totally get your logic on the Ruger 10mm. That is the compromise I like to try to achieve: nice enough to enjoy without constant tinkering, but affordable enough to enjoy without feeling too guilty!

Glad to see any expansion with the 10mm market. Would about give my left nut for a KRISS Vector in 10mm hahaha

PS... LRRPF52: Realized last night that it was YOUR 12.5 build that had influenced me to build one. Thanks again for sharing your findings.
                          Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• just_john
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2012

my edc was a CZ compact 10mm for many years and it was a great gun. I'm NOT a big guy so suspenders were a big help. Now there are is a Kimber and a RockRiver 10mm in the lock-up. Love 'em! Yo just have to remember to take full control before you pull the trigger.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives
                              Finally got the photos embedded in posts above to show on my phone, but only tiny thumbnails unless you click the image. Is that how images always work on this forum?
                              You can also insert them inline using the checkbox in the bottom right corner of the photo manager.

I thought long and hard about a Kris's 10mm but couldn't decide between Alpine White for the inevitable winter aspen grove CQB scenario (replete with super hot Russian women on super short skis wearing only lingerie under their full length white fur coats) or FDE. Went down to Denver with a buddy in the April and we rented a full auto Kriss Super V (the 5"er with the shoulder stock) in 45. Was a lot of fun but we averaged 1 out of 3 on a torso target at 25 yards. It was also a jamomatic, but probably because they didn't keep it very clean. Kinda killed the Kriss bug for me.

But dammit - you made me think of one of the reasons I shied away from a Kriss 10mm - the Tavor 300 BLK could do everything better. But they weren't available yet.....
                              Last edited by StoneHendge; 07-15-2017, 04:58 PM.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X