• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drakhoan
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Good day from OK!

Hello friends! Recently started acquiring firearms and decided to build my first AR, I figured why not make it a Grendel! Originally wanted to build an AR in .223 wylde but wanted something bigger for hog hunting, the cheap steel case is also a big plus for range day plinking.
    List of parts ive gathered so far.
    -Aeroprecision M4E1 Gen 2 upper/15in Keymod
    -PSA complete lower with magpul stock/grip
    -Odin works 20" barrel + BCG

Also taking suggestions for an optic for around $200 - $300

Thanks for reading!
  • Twistedfisters
    Banned
    • Jul 2017

Is that optics price range firm?

For $300 I'd go the SWFA route.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Hello and welcome, friend!

For a hog hunting optic in that price range, I have had great luck with the Redfield Revolution line, and the Burris Fullfield II line. Both offer great eye relief, great low light resolution, and offer lifetime warranty. If you want target turrets, look into the vortex diamonback tactical line.

From my personal experience recently with two different SWFA SS 10X scopes, I would avoid then like the plague. I had one come loose on the turret housing, making tracking impossible, and the second had such critical eye relief that it was unusable for anything but the bench. Both also had some of the worst low light clarity/light transmission I've ever used in a scope. 30 min before legal hunting time was up you could barely make out if it was a buck or doe at 100 yards away.. I read countless posts and see all kinds of videos about their amazing quality and value, but my personal experience with 2 mounted on a R700 AAC-SD 308 was less than stellar. I also had to pay shipping both ways with both. Sold the second one. YMMV.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

+1 with Kilco on the Redfield Revolution. Light weight, great clarity, great eye relief and fast target acquisition. Sounds like your relatively new to shooting and what you've built begs for a piece of glass that's a lot more than $300. If you go with something like the Revolution TAC MOA, it will be fine for hog hunting and will also allow you to start exploring what your build is capable of at medium ranges.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Drakhoan
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2017

Thanks for the suggestion! Ill definitely look into it, the plan is to get a lower power budget minded optic that I can later put on my Ruger ar-556 when I decide to upgrade on the Grendel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Vortex is what I normally recommend for anything under $1k.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Drakhoan.

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan! Don't put too much scope on a hog gun. Stay with lower powers 'cause once they start running you may find out what it is like to be seasick.

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Drakoan. You may want to consider a Vortex optic, they are on sale right now at Cabela's online in that price range.

Comment

Working...
                  X