• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockfish Dave
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

6.5 Grendel FDE - Takedown/switch caliber rifle

Just a heads up, I'm building a DRD Tactical upper build kit on a Battle Arms Dev light weight lower as a switch caliber in 223Wylde and 6.5 Grendel. I will be using JP Rifles barrels for both. My only concern is return to zero, but in the review below that seems to be a non issue, although he does seem to have thermal drift as the barrel warms up...

Here are some reviews:

Manufactuer page:

Configio offers the most complete customizable feature set of any event management system & integrates with 40+ different CRMs & AMS. Learn more at Configio.com.

I will try to keep this updated on the progress...
  • Rockfish Dave
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Specs:

DRD Tactical upper and M-Lok rail

Battle Arms Dev.
    - Light Weight Lower
    - Ti enhaced take down pins
    - bad short thow safety
    - Enhanced bolt release

Geissele SSA-E trigger

Heavy buffers - XH buffer

PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube Gen 2

VTLOR - EMOD stock

BCM - Gunfighter Grip Gen 3

Zero Fail bolt carrier group and JP matched enhanced bolt for 6.5G & 223 Wylde

SLR
    - Clamp on Melonite Adjustable gas blocks
    - Rifle length melonite gas tube

JP Rifles
    - 18" 1:8 twist 223 Wylde barrel med contour
    - 22" 1:8 twist 6.5G barrel med contour

Rugged Suppressors
    - 223 flash hider
    - 30 muzzle brake

GDI QD 25MOA scope mount

SWFA 1-6 HD scope

Larue PredatOBR Rollup Bag - Storage Case

This is intended to be a travel friendly jack of all trades build. I don't need shorter barrels as my primary hunting rigs cover that. With the take down capability the normal hassles of longer barrels no longer apply.
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 08-07-2017, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Didn't look at the reviews, but the JP thermal dissipators will keep your barrel cooler than any other AR barrel out there aside from a carbon fiber wrapped Proof Research.....
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2016

Just finished assembling last night.

Cerakote was done very well. Moch better than the local guy that Trinity Tactical was out sourcing to.

I had an issue with one of the gas blocks and will need to return to SLR, but other than that the assembly was uneventful.

I will be testing soon to see if I should change buffer and spring as well as glass bed the extension.

I might switch to the Minimalist stock.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Unless it is an interference fit ( gotta freeze the barrel and boil the upper to get'em to fit ) always bed the extension. it only takes a few moments but eliminates a lot of frustrations ( " if only I had..... " ). And, if the upper is a forged one ( recommended! ) then be sure to true the barrel face on the mounting tube. Same reason!

Comment

• funnelcake
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Sounds friggin awesome - got pics of the stick!?!

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2016

Yes I have pictures. I need to find something other than photobucket since the seem to have a limit on views now...

I am going to test it first and see how it shoots before I do anything. I will also test the return to zero after removing the barrel and reinstalling. If it is within half an MOA I will call it good, otherwise I will need to glass bed the barrels.

Since it is designed to have the forend and barrel separate from the upper, it rules out loctite 620. I'd need to glass bed it, and on an ar15 receiver it can be a pain.

If I need to, I will mount the barrel in a vice extension end up. Coat the upper reciever liberally with release agent, inside receiver, extension area and threads. The barrel extension will be filled with foam cut to fit the lug area then either taped or covered in clay, being sure to cover the lugs with release agent just in case.

For the upper receiver extension area i am thinking of using bees wax so worst case I can melt it with a heat gun to facilitate removal with a wooden dowel.

For actual bedding i will lightly coat the inside if the receiver and lower third of the extension. When I drop the upper on the barrel. The excess should come out the bottom, and accumulate on the covered lugs on the inside.

Once on, I will clean up the excess before hand tighfening the barrel nut (also liberally coated with release agent). I'll loosen the barrel nut to make sure everything is still clean, then recoat with release agent if needed before hand tightening and moving to the inside of the receiver.

With the inside of the receiver it is just cleaning the excess with white vinigar until spotless and letting cure. A major pain, but should be fine...

So I'll test first before going through all that. Being it is a switch barrel set up the last thing I want to do is bond everything together!
              Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 08-07-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

I really like that swfa scope. I just wish they would make it in moa

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2016

Just double checked the gas block and it does not free float, so I am selling the barrels unfired. Details are in the classified section.

Comment

Working...
                  X