• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Compensator?

I have almost finished my AR Platform, 6.5 Grendel with a 20" Odin works barrel and looking for input on what brand of compensator to stick on it. Primary use will be for varmit shooting
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Are you wanting a comp or muzzle break as they are not quite the same but provide similar characteristics. A comp generally doesn't reduce perceived recoil as much as brake but generally isn't as loud either, all the while keeping the muzzle fairly neutral when shooting. I went with a griffin flash comp as I don't really feel the 6.5 has all that much recoil to contend with and shouldn't have as much obnoxious back blast as most brakes provide. The pudding is in the testing as I received it yesterday and should be mounting it today or tomorrow time permitting.

Comment

• DDRanch
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Was looking at the Odin Works Atlas compensator. Not really interested in the muzzle brakes I have seen.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

While Odin calls theirs a comp it appears to me to be more of a break as it has 4 fairly large holes on the sides on it. What doesn't do it for me though is its weight at over 4oz which I don't want hanging on the end of my barrel and to add it is a multi piece unit being held together with 3 small set screws instead of one solid piece. I would look hard at the VG6 Gamma if I was considering the Atlas.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

VG6 is good to go on my rifle, rise and recoil are minimal.

Comment

• DDRanch
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Going to try out the VG6. Thanks guys for the input.

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

Odins made for Grendels. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                While Odin calls theirs a comp it appears to me to be more of a break as it has 4 fairly large holes on the sides on it. What doesn't do it for me though is its weight at over 4oz which I don't want hanging on the end of my barrel and to add it is a multi piece unit being held together with 3 small set screws instead of one solid piece. I would look hard at the VG6 Gamma if I was considering the Atlas.
                I use a 6.5 Atlas, and it's very well designed a s rugged piece. The end cap threads on as right as you want and the three set screws only need minimal tightening as to prevent the titanium sleeve from walking during extreme heat due to a high rate of fire.

I have used and abused mine with NO I'll effects. HIGHLY recommended the Odin Works Atlas.

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

The Atlas is a product of outside the box way of thinking which is good for innovation and no doubts it likely works. Odin is very innovative and hope they keep it up in this current off market trend the industry in experiencing. For me I just couldn't pull the trigger on this product as I'm a bit OCD and I was seriously considering it but didn't think it would blend well with my fairly light weight rifle.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                    The Atlas is a product of outside the box way of thinking which is good for innovation and no doubts it likely works. Odin is very innovative and hope they keep it up in this current off market trend the industry in experiencing. For me I just couldn't pull the trigger on this product as I'm a bit OCD and I was seriously considering it but didn't think it would blend well with my fairly light weight rifle.
                    I was on the fence with it for awhile too... but in the end I'm glad I used it, and my 16" hunting setup is still just 7.2 lbs scopes and loaded!

Comment

• calvarez
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2017

This is the last part I need to decide on for my AR 6.5 deer hunting build; the brake or compensator. And I really don't know which I need or why I'd choose one over another. I've never hunted with a rifle that had any sort of muzzle device. And perhaps I really don't need it. But being able to shoot a lot comfortably makes for a better hunter, so even if I don't "need" it to hunt, it does make sense to use one. Any comments appreciated. The Odin does look impressive, and while 4 ounces isn't huge weight, it's probably noticeable.

My build is a 20" BCA complete upper kit going onto my M&P 15 MOE with Timney trigger, Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 in Vortex hunter rings. I'll be going for deer in a variety of terrain, mostly at 100-250 yards, possibly a little farther in the desert areas.

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

For a straight up hunting rig I would strongly suggest neither. Just get a flash hider to protect your muzzle and crown. Not much recoil with the Grendel. I wouldnonly suggest a break of you are either shooting a lot, or it's an extremely light weight build.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Calvarez with the BCA 20" barrel alone tipping the scales at 3lbs+ I'd say keep it simple as Kilco advised, your set up is going to have plenty of heft to it to minimize most recoil and barrel movement. I ended up going with a flash comp as my fairly lightweight 16 had just a bit more muzzle movement than I prefer and wanted to tame it a bit, just attached and awaiting time for a test drive as for actual felt recoil it has nothing to complain about.

Comment

Working...
                          X