bull barrels, anything different with a barrel nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

bull barrels, anything different with a barrel nut?

so I am helping a friend to put an ar15 together and he insists on a bull barrel. I have read in a just a few places that their might be some barrel nuts that wont work with a bull barrel. I don't have any extra laying around so I don't know what the heck. here is part in the technical description of what I am wondering about,,,,
    Exterior Diameter at Gas Port: 0.936"
    Oversized Nut required for 1.050 Std Bull Barrel (not included, but Hogue handrail #787-15034 includes the nut and fits. Also GunTec 018-GT132612 Free Float handguard includes the nut and fits.)
    so any help figuring out this is very appreciated!
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

I suppose a list of all handguards 15 inches or longer that have a barrel nut inside diameter of at least 1.050 or larger is really what I need. has anyone at all ever built a ar15 with a bull barrel? what handguard did you use?

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

No difference in any of the bull barrels I've mounted.

This includes DPMS, Hogue, UTG and M1 tubes and forends. Bigger concern will be the gas block fit under the hand guard.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

I used a 20" Shilen HBAR (not sure if that's as heavy as your inquiring about) and it worked perfectly fine with the MI Gen 2 SS handguard.

Comment

• jcjarmon
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

A Krieger bull barrel still uses a standard barrel nut.

Comment

• jcjarmon
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Ive got a Krieger barrel in front of me that uses a .936 gas block. The JP adjustable gas block fits inside the hand guard I used with no modifications. It has an ID of 1.70". The gas block measures 1.25"4178.jpg

Comment

• worthen86ford
              Warrior
              • May 2016

I had a buddy that mounted a gen2 MI rail on a bull barrel and had to use some emory cloth to get the barrel nut over. Still wasn't much of a problem. I would just avoid long ID barrel nuts such that if it was tight you wouldn't have to remove much material to make it work.

Comment

Working...
              X