• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Howa Mini Range Report

Although the recent modifications may have helped, my shaky shooting did NOT help group size today. All groups were at 100yds and so was the bullet box where I recovered the 120gr Federal MSR bullet. I plan to load some of the best loads again and shoot them off the heavy duty benches at the local range. These were shot from a gravel driveway with a 3-legged portable shooting table.

Thanks, Dinny

Howa with AT-ONE (Copy).jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dinny; 07-17-2017, 01:52 AM.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Some promising results there! I don't own a Howa mini but a family member does, and he is getting very solid results with the 100gr Eld-m over AA 2200. Kind of a uncommon powder now days for the Grendel, but he is getting very good accuracy.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Kilco, not to get sidetracked, but you got load and chrono info on your friend using AA2200? Been wondering about that powder.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        Kilco, not to get sidetracked, but you got load and chrono info on your friend using AA2200? Been wondering about that powder.
        It's my father's powder of choice for both his Howa mini and Vepr in 6.5.

The speed is almost always 100 fps slower than my 8208 loads using either 100gr BT or ELD-M. I believe with 27 or 27.5gr, (can't remember exactly which one is his pet load) he was getting 2650 out of the 20" HB mini (I can reach those speeds with 30.4gr 8208 in my 16" tube), and 2740 from the Vepr. No pressure whatsoever and both have been extremely accurate at 100 yards and the 665 yard 8" target we set up behind my house. He is always claiming how clean it burns as well..

On a side note that damm 20.5" Vepr he has is one of the fastest Grendel barrels I've either seen or read about.. it's always 80-100fps faster than either his Howa mini, or my old 20" shilen speeds. Seeing as how it's a Molot Russian made gun, we just assumed the barrel might be a bit rough and builds more pressure.. no conclusive testing on that though..

Comment

• LWP
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Hey Dinny, nice stock. Does it come with pillars?

Comment

• LWP
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Also I have the same Howa Mini (minus that stock) 6.5 Grendel and it shoots really well with this load : 120gr SMK HPBT,30.5grs CFE 223, CCI-450, Lapua brass, and seated at 2.260" COAL. If you have any of these components give it a try. It's not the fastest (2450fps) but it's accurate in my Mini Howa

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LWP View Post
              Hey Dinny, nice stock. Does it come with pillars?
              No, I had them added.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

Working...
              X