• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

New Grendel budget upper

Finally got to shoot the Grendel today and i am very happy with the results. I shot with Federal fusion msr 120gr -hornady black eld match 123gr and hornady SST 123gr. the rifle did not like the SSTs , I would have 2 in a group the the next one would be 5-6 in away? It also didn't like it when I shot a lower with a carbine buffer on it. had 2 extraction issues and the cases were coming out at about 1 oclock when I tried that(you can see marks on receiver in pic) any thoughts on this would be appreciated. performed flawless with the A2 stock.

Sanders Armory SS HBAR TYPE2 1/8 mid with fat comp break
    billet side charging upper
    Sanders Armory 16.5 keymod rail

RTBA cerro forge 80% lower w/ Anderson lpk / ALG defense ACT trigger
    SWFA SS 10x42

100_3134 (800x600) (800x600).jpg100_3133 (800x600).jpg100_3135 (800x600).jpg
  • jcjarmon
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Don't worry to much about the brass, it wont last long. Ive had three new builds do the same thing the first 100 rounds. Do watch out for over-gas. Over-gas has been more of a problem that anything.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Sounds like the upper was over gassed while using the lighter buffer and carbine spring. Is that an 18" barrel with mid length gas system?

If you try the lower with the carbine buffer tube, carbine length spring you might try a H-2 buffer which is heavier.

Comment

• jcjarmon
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

Personally, Id get myself a Radical adjustable gas block and solve any gas problems I might be having. For less than 40 bucks, it will tame what recoil you do have, and increase muzzle velocity, and accuracy. It smoothed out my actions considerably.

Comment

• jackwagon
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

thanks guys, it is an 18" mid length and I will probably go with the rifle buffer set up.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Nice build. Love a side charger. Seems to make sense for Grendel precision work.

Good luck with the gassing issues. I would also echo others and recommend an adjustable gas block. Once you dial that in, which is easy as pie, you won't have to touch it again. Heavier buffers would help with the symptoms you are having - but it is not treating the root cause. Adjustable gas blocks can be had as cheap as $25 if you look around. There's really no reason to go with the buffer instead if you ask me.

Either way, good luck with it!

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Really great looking rifle! Budget or not, it looks like a good shooter.

Once you get the gas system happy, brass actually lasts a very long time with this cartridge.

Comment

• jackwagon
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Thanks, T2K it was actually a upper purchase and not a build( cheated). side charger works great with a scope mounted versus standard charge handle. I had no issues last weekend shooting with the A2 stock.

Comment

• jackwagon
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

thanks Kilco, The A2 stock seemed to do the trick as I had zero issues with it last time out. I shot about 80 rounds out to 350 yds,
                  and most of my groups at 100yds were MOA or under with the hornady black. i just started getting interested in shooting long range so I don't really know what it will do but im happy with it so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X