• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timmy2Knives
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 for Grendel hunting rifle

Currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope on my 22LR Remington 597SD. No complaints in general. Good optic for the price. However, now I have a recently completed 12.5" pistol and an 18" Grendel rifle build in progress. Both are intended primarily for deer hunting (200 yd or less) and longer range (500+ if I can find such a range by me) benchrest/prone use. No kicking in doors and clearing rooms. That's what my Blackouts are for

Do you think this optic would be better utilized on either of these Grendel builds? Part of me feels like a good old 3-9 might be a little better suited for the Blueridge woods I hunt, but 4-12 would be a little better for longer ranges from the bench. While it is not ideal for either role, it should be plenty useable for either. I think I could work with 4X minimum for hunting. (Would not for defensive roles.)

Would likely mount it on my 12.5" pistol first since it is completely, but ultimately it would probably be a better fit on the 18" rifle. Have some mild concerns about the eye box and eye relief on a braced pistol, but expect that would be adapted to with some practice.

What say you horde?

I know... I know... this is not a high end optic. Don't flame me for that. As much as I would love some schott glass or something nicer, it is simply not in my budget. If I want to actually have money to be able to actually SHOOT my guns that is! (I also have German cars as a hobby, so that hurts my gun budget sometimes.) That said, the Diamondback has been a solid lower-end optic so far.

All brand snobbery aside, would you say this magnification range is fitting for the intended use and platforms mentioned above?

I have other cheaper, lower magnification optics I can throw on the 22 in place of the Diamondback. That is not really a concern. The 22 is merely a plinker/pest control gun anyways. I think 6.5G warrants something more.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

For 200 yards and in, there is nothing wrong with thay optic at all. If weight was a concern, you could even swap to a smaller 1-6, 2-7, or 3-9 and be perfectly fine.

I ran a Redfield Revolution TAC 3-9 on my 16" build out to 810 yards with NO drama at all. 600 yards was a breeze. Vortex also makes a diamonback tactical in both 3-9 and 4-12 with exposed target turrets if you wanted to do some longer range plinking and didn't mind the exposed turrets in the woods.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

Cool thanks for the feedback brother. Don't get me wrong with all the 200 I do want to stretch her out to 800 or longer eventually. The ranges I typically use max out around 300. Which is not bad, and realistically the farthest I would ever "need" to shoot. Longer ranges would just be for fun and marksmanship work. Aim small, miss small.

The 4-12x is on my 12.5" now. Since it is actually, you know, built... My 18" needs a lower still. (Eyeing a Noreen billet lower. Know of any good budget billet lowers? That's another thread I guess)

Have a 1.5-6x42 on the way to me that should be a nice fit for the 12.5" build. Then, my 18" will get the 4-12x. Then balance will be restored to the force and order shall reign across the universe once more. Until I get the itch for something new. Or come into some cash lol

Slapped a cheap micro reflex red dot on the 22LR that the 4-12x came off. Seems more fitting optic for the plinker. Though the 4-12 did look badass on there! If I ever need a little magnification to dispatch some critters, I have a cheap 3X I can slap on there.

Comment

• 1075 tech
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

I have the Diamondback HP 3-12 on both of my Grendels. Both are 16" builds mainly for hunting and general plinking. I also hunt mostly wooded areas with some longer, up to 400, shots available. I find they work ok for me. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I leave them on 3x and will use the higher magnifications for glassing the open areas.
        Last edited by 1075 tech; 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• xlcc
          Warrior
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
          I have the Diamondback HP 3-12 on both of my Grendels. Both are 16" builds mainly for hunting and general plinking. I also hunt mostly wooded areas with some longer, up to 400, shots available. I find they work ok for me. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I leave them on 3x and will use the higher magnifications for glassing the open areas.
          Glassing the open areas...that is what binoculars are for!

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
            This is true, but being half cripped up, I carry as little as possible.
            Besides, my scopes are usually more powerful.

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
              lol. I agree. One of these days I'll get a decent pair. Have a pair of compact binos that I'll carry in my bag and sometimes use my rangefinder as well. It's usually that early morning first light that I need the higher magnification to see that the huge buck I've been staring at is really just an oddly shaped fallen tree.

Comment

Working...
              X