• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m77mkii
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

shots in group for testing

Just wondering what is accepted as guideline for the grendel in accuracy testing? 3,4,5 shots for a group?
  • dfwpi
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

5-shot groups

Comment

• m77mkii
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

so if 5 shot group is tight then you know it is a good load?

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Up to you as to what metric you use to compare variables - I use four. The manufacturer industry standard is three (cheaper, and the groups are 'smaller'). Some of the F Class shooters at my old club used 10. I'm thinking there is an argument for shooting more rounds/group the more precise you gun is but then again, you can just shoot more groups and average them all. Or be more precise in your measuring.

As long as you compare apples with apples, and on that point make clear the number of rounds/group when sharing with others.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

In my own view, if one is interested in hunting, where each shot is critical, then the groups need to to be repeated over several range sessions to determine what variablility in size and center can creep in from temperature, light, and wind. This applies independent of range.

For background, go to this link: http://shootersnotes.com/articles/ze...-hunting-zero/
          Last edited by JASmith; 07-19-2017, 09:13 PM.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• maxxmojo
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

When I'm working up loads I use 3 shot groups, just because I got sick of what felt like wasting bullets. Though so far I've only used groups to gauge performance at 100 yards, 200 yards to 1000 yards I'm just trying to hit the target as close to a specific spot as possible.

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              In my own view, if one is interested in hunting, where eacih shot is critical, then the groups need to to be repeated over several range sessions to determine what variablility in size and center can creep in from temperature, light, and wind. This applies independent or range.

For background, go to this link: http://shootersnotes.com/articles/ze...-hunting-zero/
              I used to compete in archery, and always thought if someone shot just one arrow every day at random distances 10-50 yards, he or she would be a very good shot.
              Kind of reminds me of the above post.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2016

I use 3 shot and call every shot [ if i feel i was a little off one way or what] I am a hunter so I sight my rifles only on first shot cold tube, when i get down to two loads to stay with i shoot 5 shot with a warm tube.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

5-shots and I always record my cold bore shot. For load development I use 5-shot and because I'm just not that good I dismiss my usual flier when evaluating best load.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fredman --I used to compete in archery, and always thought if someone shot just one arrow every day at random distances 10-50 yards, he or she would be a very good shot.
                    I was also told that when I was very young.

I believe the same is true with rifles and pistols.
                    Last edited by JASmith; 07-19-2017, 09:21 PM.
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                    X