• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funnelcake
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Sucked in by BC!

'Sup 65’ers?!? I'm a long-time contract (7mm) Mauser & USGI rifle fan...been on a "re-do" of late to reduce the # of calibers (reloading isn't so cheap with a ton of 'em) and I want to spend more time shooting. My two favorite rifle calibers are 6.5x55 & 7x57. In fact, the former eventually led me to the Grendel. Some years back I was at the range plinking away with the M-38 and a guy next to me was shooting an AR and having problems. Turns out it was a piston gun in 6.5 Grendel. I'd never heard of the piston thing at that point but the "6.5" caught my attention. I thought it was a mighty fine lookin' wee cartridge so I did some research but nothing really formative.

My brother finally won me over on AR's so I figured close to short-barrel 6.5x55 performance in an AR is pretty appealing. I've got a 16" BA Hanson barrel I'm building around and will hopefully get it done sometime SOON! I originally wanted an 18" tube but from what I can see, you don't lose a whole lot after stepping down from 20" anyway. My last AR build was a pencil barrel and the thought of swinging another HBAR around...only if I gotta! I've got a place I can shoot out to just under 500-yards but that's it. Anything further will be rare.

I've got three other back-burner projects…ongoing 1911’s (love 'em!), a 7x57 bolt gun on one of the Serbian Remington 798 Mauser actions (the 162-gr AMAX/ ELD-M in these proves-out the same thing as the Grendel - efficient bullets don't need to be "moving out" to bring the mail!), and finally the hot rod (biggest money/ time pit but fun!).

Can't wait to start blasting away!
    Last edited by funnelcake; 07-18-2017, 12:58 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Grendel cuts off roughly 175-225yds of performance from a 6.5x55 Mauser, using 18gr to 12gr less powder from a micro action vs. a long action.

Makes load time on the bench go way fast, but recoil is a lot lighter and sight picture is easy to just watch through the shot.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

I originally had a 20" HBAR Grendel, and after stepping down to a 16" I can't image using anything but for my hunting purposes. You will be extremely satisfied with your build, that I am sure of!

Comment

• funnelcake
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2017

Thanks guys...I won't be hunting much (or shooting enough) with having two young fellers, but I try not to miss any opportunities! I'm trying to build the rifle as something that can be converted from rested blaster to fun carbine in <5-minutes (sooner than not the boys will be at the right age!). I'll get a thread going in Build it Yourself as soon as a few more parts roll in.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum funnelcake, I'm interested in seeing how your BA 6.5 Grendel turns out!

Comment

• DJudge
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

Welcome! I'd like to see some pics and how the 16" BA Hanson barrel performs.

Comment

Working...
            X