• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Safety Guy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

New guy thinking about a build

Came upon some extra "gun money' and was considering building a 6.5 Grendel AR. Looking at one of the kits from Joe Bobs (18" Odins Works package with BCG, non adjustable gas block). This would be my second AR, but the first one I would be building myself. I'm sure I can properly install the gas system and barrel, but if not, I have locals who could give me a hand. This upper will go on my current AR's lower (rifle tube/buffer), until I can buy a new complete lower which might be carbine or rifle. After looking through the trouble shooting forum, I'm getting a little worried about having issues. Seems like lots of people have issues with cycling, FTE, FTE and the like. With the kit I'm looking at, do I have much to worry about? The gun will spend most of it's life in a deer stand and probably never shoot over 150 yards. I really don't need to build this, but I like the idea of hunting with an AR and being able to shoot it in the off season with cheap Wolf to really feel "one with the rifle" come hunting season. Enough rambling, what do you guys think?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I've been shooting AR-15's since the mid 90's and have a Friend who is a FFL and a gunsmith. The most common problem when assembling an upper is getting the gas block properly positioned over the gas port. The Odin 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels with fixed gas blocks are functioning properly. If you plan on running a suppressor I'd suggest using an adjustable gas block.

Overall Odin has gotten good reviews and when issues have arisen Odin's CS has helped resolve most issues. One forum member had an issue with the shoulder of the barrel near the threads not working with his suppressor/muzzle break. I think this member ended up having to get the barrel modified locally.

Joebobsoutfitters and a couple other vendors have had some very good prices on Odin's package deals. If I was in the market I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Odin. A Friend has used their 6.5 Grendel BCG and it looks real good. You can also get good deals by signing up for Odin's email notification.

Another rather common problem on 6.5 Grendel builds is the extractor chewing up the rim on the 6.5 Grendel brass. This can usually be resolved by removing the rough edge off the extractor claw. It can also help to break the edge on the ejector which helps the base of the cartridge slide onto the face of the bolt.

This forum has been benificial to many members in sorting out their problems. I read several forums and the 6.5 Grendel doesn't seem to be more problematic than the other chamberings in the AR-15. Normally issues with faulty magazines can be identified and rectified as all the differnt 6.5 Grendel brand mags will occasionally have an out of spec mag slip through QC.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-18-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

An Odin barrel with an Odin gas block is the easiest gasblock to install out there. There are alignment notches on both the barrel and block and the block sits up against the barrel shoulder. I wish it had been my first gas block install!
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
      X