• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruw
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

123g ELD-X coming?

Anyone heard if/when the ELD-X will be coming out in a 123g offering? I need to restock on hunting bullets and I don't mind the SST's, but I don't want to buy a bunch if the ELD-X's are on the way. Thanks.
  • Goochylogic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

Bruw, I called Hornady last week asking about future ammo for the Grendel. I explained the ELD-M shot exceptionally well from my 20" Odin barrel but was concerned about its terminal performance as noted by some hog hunters on this site. I explained to him the the SST sucked in my gun. He stated he has been pushing for a monolithic type of bullet for the grendel. But as now no info exist if it would be released anytime soon.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

In the meantime, is give the 120gr Nosler BT a shot in your rig. Usually shoots very well for me in many different rifles without much fuss.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

We must have talked time the same guy gooch. I called them about 2 months ago and the guy was telling me he was begging them to make a monolithic. I got tired of waiting and bought everything to reload.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

My understanding is that they are keeping the SST line because it works so well and is a dominant hunting bullet across their caliber selection portfolio.

ELD-X seems to be a long range hunting bullet more than a common hunting bullet, with specific features from both the ELD-M and SST combined.

From Dave Emary:
          So as not to cause everyone to go throw out all their tipped projectiles, this problem has very little impact on shooting inside of 400 yards with typical hunting or varmint projectiles. The change in BC is still occurring over these distances but flight time has not been sufficient to cause changes in trajectory that most shooters are capable of detecting. In addition, most commonplace hunting and varmint projectiles have modest BC’s and do not exhibit the extent of drag increase and BC loss because they lose velocity much more rapidly than the very low drag (VLD) type projectiles we are concentrating on in this discussion. They are not exposed to the high stagnation temperatures as long and don’t see as much degradation of the tip.
          The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....

The ELD-X uses the AMP jacket, Interlock construction, with the new heat shield tip polymer for retained shape over longer flight time at higher speeds. Since the Grendel does not generate sustained speeds respective to the ELD-X, I'm not sure what benefit there is. They were looking at a lot of .300 Magnum speeds for LR hunting if you read the technical discussion.

I agree that a Hornady factory GMX load for the Grendel is a better effort than an ELD-X load. A 95gr GMX with .400 G1 BC would be an excellent premium load hunting option for shooters.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bruw
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2017

Thanks guys - I've actually had good luck with the SST's, so I'm content to stick with them. Just figured if the ELD-X was coming maybe I'd try it before stocking up.

I'll try the Nosler BT's as well since i have had good luck with them in my 25-06.

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              We must have talked time the same guy gooch. I called them about 2 months ago and the guy was telling me he was begging them to make a monolithic. I got tired of waiting and bought everything to reload.
              Bigs, the guy I spoke with seemed pretty interested in more choices for the grendel. Maybe phone calls can help the process along a bit faster. He told me the eld-m (Black) could be used for deer but try and stay away from the shoulder bones.

Comment

• borregobob

Hornady says the SST's are here to stay no replacement that's a forum rumor.

Comment

Working...
                X