• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nchunt101
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2016

Got the itch for a new build.

I joined a while ago but decided to go with the 6.8 SPCII for a hunting rifle (Flame Away). I haven't built an upper in a while and have the itch. Right now I am thinking of a 20" for hunting/target/casual matches etc. Be warned I am a virgin in the Grendel world so take it easy on me.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

We don't flame people here for their cartridge selection.

I was raised on .270 Winchester, so when I heard there was a project out of 5th Group using a .277" cartridge in the AR15, I was initially pretty excited. I actually helped a guy put together his SPC upper before he deployed to OIF, before they even had specific mags for it. He was saying how 5.56 gets people killed, doesn't have enough stopping power, etc. I had been on several deployments already where I had seen people slayed with 5.56 just fine, so I didn't even argue with him, just helped him install the barrel and KAC RAS onto a concealed DCM-syle free-float tube, and sent him on his way.

A buddy of mine who was an instructor at Range 37 for SF's Sniper and CQB school got a Grendel around that time, and fell in love with it immediately, so that got my attention too. I waited for 5 years to see how both cartridges progressed and worked out any bugs before pulling the trigger on a 6.5 Grendel barrel/bolt combo.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!! Variety is the spice of life, and when one of my favorite barrel makers offers a 6.8 barrel bolt combo I'll probably build one just to have it.

For my hunting purposes, a 16" Grendel is the cats meow.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum nchunt101! I think most members on here are firearms enthusiast first whether hunters, target shooters, SD/Mil/LE and just like the capabilities of the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome! Most all of us have scratched till we bled on the floor. Two of my early AR builds were 6.8's, also got caught up in the hype by the folks I worked with at the time. Fortunately, I got over that part of it but the Grendel bug seems to be incurable ( no complaints, still have 4 of 'em ).
          To repeat per '52 above, I spend a lot of time evangelizing the Grendel. One of the greatest sales point to her is this forum. It has always been an easy sell when I point folks to this site, confident of the welcome and free distribution of knowledge and encouragement that each new critter will receive here. This is a very refreshing site, especially when compared to so many other sites where the real agenda is ego-feeding and "how deep can I cut and not be barred".

Comment

• nchunt101
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2016

Thanks for the welcome guys. Looks to be a good place.

Comment

Working...
            X