X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Well, I finally got to the range yesterday and must say I am quite happy with the accuracy I'm already seeing out of my 18" BCA upper with only 40 rounds of break in. Here are two 4 round groups at 100 yards (don't mind the two shot zeroing groups on the one target):

20170904_144614.jpg

20170904_144622.jpg

Unfortunately, the upper was having reliability problems, or so I thought. I have two magazines; an ASC (10 rds I think) and an AA 17 rounder. The first 8 rounds cycled out of the AA mag just fine. Then I tried the ASC and was getting bolt over base FTF malfunctions nearly every round, so I set that mag aside for now. When I went back to the AA mag, however, I started having FTFs where the bolt would entirely fail to strip a round out of the magazine every other shot. It seemed like an obvious short stroke to me, and I became very worried that the upper is under gassed (.70 gas port on midlength 18" barrel is on the small side to my understanding).

But, a strange discovery later last night alleviated my fears! As I prepared to clean the gun and check culprits for under gassing (gas block alignment, etc), I heard a strange rattle noise when I tilted the gun. I realized it was coming from my buffer tube, which I wouldn't ordinarily open for a routine cleaning. When I pulled the buffer and spring, this is what I found!:

20170904_192553.jpg

I haven't had a chance to go shooting again to confirm the hypothesis, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that the loose weights in my buffer tube were causing the short stroking! It would also seem to explain the bolt over base malfunctions if the bcg was moving to fast for the next round to move up after it recoiled against the empty buffer. It's bizarre, but I'm actually relieved that the upper itself seems fine and at the very least I learned my lesson on buying cheap buffers.

So, at the end of the day, I think this BCA upper is going to be a heck of a shooter, especially for the price! If it feeds reliably and continues to group well at my next range session, I'll be fully prepared to endorse BCA based upon my experience at least.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update Dcommoncents!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

What buffer is that and why isn't there a roll pin retaining the bumper pad?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

I guess there wasn't a roll-pin in the rear end of the buffer?

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

I honestly can't remember the brand, probably UTG or something like that, but it came with a crappy buffer kit I got from cheaper than dirt because it was only intended to make an extra beater lower I had sitting around functional. It never occurred to me that a buffer would just fall apart like that and I just didn't pay attention to how poorly it was put together - i.e., the fact that there was no roll pin! I already ordered a better replacement and in the meantime stole the buffer out of the lower for my m4 style 5.56 platform. I may try to salvage it to have an extra around though by just using my drill press to make a hole for a roll pin, but the plastic (not rubber) end cap is pretty thin and may just tear at the roll pin hole. I figure it's worth a shot though. Maybe I'll pass a metal sleeve through it as a bushing for added strength. As a side note, the back of the buffer where the cap came off is all chewed up from hitting the weights tumbling around in the tube. Gnarly stuff. You live and you learn I suppose.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Shocking news... my broken buffer was clearly the source of my ftf malfunctions out of the AA Elander mag. With a replacement h buffer my BCA upper cycled 26 rounds out of that mag without a hiccup today. My bolt over base malfunctions were definitely caused by the ASC mag, as that malfunctions recurred on just the second shot i tried out of that mag today. I dremeled the front of the mag down as shown in some other threads here, so I'll see if that works next time.

Comment

• buddy10mm
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                I finally figured I would just call them about a military discount. Got someone on the phone first try. They told me to email them a copy of my DD214 (retirees will know what this is). Got an email back like 5 minutes later stating the discount was added to my account (you have to create an account with them first). I placed an order for a 20" SS non fluted upper and the 10% discount showed up in my "cart". With this upper and an upgraded complete lower from PSA, I'll be all in at <$550.
                I got an email back apologizing for the delay - sending my DD214 in - I'll let you know when my upper arrives.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by buddy10mm View Post
                  I got an email back apologizing for the delay - sending my DD214 in - I'll let you know when my upper arrives.
                  GOOD DEAL~ Report on the goodness when you get shootin'~
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Red Dawn View Post
                    * BCA DOES NOT recommend using steel cased ammo in our Assemblies or Rifles.

Anyone know why ?
                    In one of the million videos I've watched a guy said that the steel cases are lacquer-coated (in the pictures the coating looks thick) and if your barrel is hot and you chamber a round and leave it there...the lacquer can melt and glue the round into the chamber.
                    I can't verify whether that will happen or not.
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• calvarez
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2017

I'm now about 400 rounds into this upper shooting only cheap-o Wolf steel case ammo, it has never had an issue. My groups are terrible though, time to test it with some spendy ammo.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                        I finally figured I would just call them about a military discount. Got someone on the phone first try. They told me to email them a copy of my DD214 (retirees will know what this is). Got an email back like 5 minutes later stating the discount was added to my account (you have to create an account with them first). I placed an order for a 20" SS non fluted upper and the 10% discount showed up in my "cart". With this upper and an upgraded complete lower from PSA, I'll be all in at <$550.
                        Wow, thanks for this info!
                        I emailed sales@bearcreekarsenal.com on 10/15 to ask about a military discount and haven't received a reply yet.
                        To what address did you email your DD214?

I've been waiting to order an upper until I hear of any discounts.
                        I saw a new video just a few days ago that said that 704tactical gets 5% off and free shipping. Does the 10% Veteran's discount include free shipping?
                        I'm on a small VA pension and need to save every penny I can.
                        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• com-guy
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2017

I built a BCA rifle using one of their 6.5 Grendel complete uppers. 16" M4 profile with key-mod fore end. It is a budget build intended for a friend's boy to use hunting. I assembled it 2-3 months ago but just got out to the range with it tonight to do a quick zero so he could youth hunt with it this weekend. I fired 3 shots at 25 yrds. (no pics) to get close. Then moved to 100 yds and fired 2 quick shots to see where i was. Using the mil dots i measured to where zero should be and fired three slow shots. it was getting dark and this was all there was time for, but here was the result of the three shots. Looks promising and can't wait to get back out with it to shoot some more groups and stretch it out to distance....

ETA: Was shooting Hornady ELD-M ammo.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

That’ll definitely work com-guy! A lot of these cheaper uppers are nothing to be ashamed of. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw on how good of barrel you get. Kind of like the old saying you don't want a car built on Monday or Friday. Everbody has a lemon slip through, not a big deal as long as the manufacture/vendor stand behind what they sell.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• com-guy
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                              That’ll definitely work com-guy! A lot of these cheaper uppers are nothing to be ashamed of. I think it boils down to the luck of the draw on how good of barrel you get. Kind of like the old saying you don't want a car built on Monday or Friday. Everbody has a lemon slip through, not a big deal as long as the manufacture/vendor stand behind what they sell.

Thanks for posting.
                              If it does shoot that good.... It was windy and was just three shots. We've all had that amazing group going with 2-3 or even 4 shots, then open up by the time we finish the five or ten shot group. I was using bags on a bench though...

Comment

• PVBoom
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by calvarez View Post
                                We're shopping the low price leader. I don't expect great service, great product, and lowest price all together. Of all those, I'll let the service go since I likely can work around it.
                                Bingo, I see no reasonability in expecting Cadillac service at Yugo pricing.

Comment

Working...
                                X