X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zcostilla
    Warrior
    • Aug 2017

My only concern is that they show it not as a SAAMI chamber, but as a “Type II chamber”. Based upon a bunch of other posts here, that would seem inferior because of the bolt face depth, right? I’m new to the Grendel (still building my first) so please forgive me if I’m incorrect.

Image.png
    -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by zcostilla View Post
      My only concern is that they show it not as a SAAMI chamber, but as a “Type II chamber”. Based upon a bunch of other posts here, that would seem inferior because of the bolt face depth, right? I’m new to the Grendel (still building my first) so please forgive me if I’m incorrect.
      One of the members here did castings of the several bca barrels and reported that they indeed were compound chambers and not straight walled. BCA choose poorly when they decided how to describe their chambers.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Type II refers to the .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt. Black Hole Weaponry coined Type I to signify their barrel was chambered to use 7.62X39 .125 bolt and Type II signified a .136 6.5 Grendel bolt. Other manufactures have chosen to use that bolt designation.

Grendel II is a chamber used by Satern/Liberty and is not SAAMI Spec.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

So I called BCA and was only able to talk to the sales lady. I was hoping to talk to someone in the machine shop. After I asked my question, she put me on hold to go find out the answer. When she returned she said that they were "mil-spec". Okay..... that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. She said to email them if I needed more info. So here is what I am sending them. Also, I attached the info-graphs provided by BFT. This is a holiday weekend is I don't expect anything back right away.

Can you please clarify your 6.5 Grendel chamber and bolt specifications? Apparently there is a confusing history with the Grendel bolt design and not all manufactures use the same measurements even though they may use the same terminology. Please clarify what do you mean by "Type II" chamber specifications on your Grendel barrels and bolts?

Is the bolt face depth .136 or .125?

Thank you for your time.
          Dan Van Wormer
          Frontier Gear

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

On March 22, this year I called BCA in regards to their new 6.5 Grendel products and specifically their 6.5 Grendel barrels and chambers. Here is the response I posted in my previous thread.

“I called Bear Creek Arsenal this morning and talked to Josh. Josh is the production engineer manager and advised their barrels are completely machined in house. The 6.5 Grendel barrels listed use SAAMI spec chamber and .136 bolts ( reason says type II in description). Josh stated BCA currently does not sell bolts to match their barrels but production of 6.5 Grendel bolts is anticipated. Josh stated their products are manufactured in house.

Josh was very helpful and advised for anyone with questions in regards to the 6.5 Grendel to call him at 919-777-0675. I have no affiliation with BCA but just wanted to find out the specifics of their products.”

Here is a link to the thread in March of this year shortly after the BCA 6.5 Grendel products arrived on the market. BCA has since started selling 6.5 Grendel bolts and BCG.

Has anyone tried these type II barrels out? http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=grendel
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              On March 22, this year I called BCA in regards to their new 6.5 Grendel products and specifically their 6.5 Grendel barrels and chambers. Here is the response I posted in my previous thread.

“I called Bear Creek Arsenal this morning and talked to Josh. Josh is the production engineer manager and advised their barrels are completely machined in house. The 6.5 Grendel barrels listed use SAAMI spec chamber and .136 bolts ( reason says type II in description). Josh stated BCA currently does not sell bolts to match their barrels but production of 6.5 Grendel bolts is anticipated. Josh stated their products are manufactured in house.

Josh was very helpful and advised for anyone with questions in regards to the 6.5 Grendel to call him at 919-777-0675. I have no affiliation with BCA but just wanted to find out the specifics of their products.”

Here is a link to the thread in March of this year shortly after the BCA 6.5 Grendel products arrived on the market. BCA has since started selling 6.5 Grendel bolts and BCG.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...13-BCA-barrels
              Awesome! Thank you very much. I wish that I had seen that before.
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

I received my new BCA upper two weeks ago. The bolt is marked "6.5 GREN II" and measures .136"
                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

Next time I have 3 or 400 bucks I see a Boca upper in 18 inches or so joining the herd
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

OK, now is the time to buy a BCA barrel. Two of their 18" barrels are on sale today for $60 and $66. Flat rate shipping is $10.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• dtdraffen
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2017

Is anyone using BCA barrel with a suppressor? My big concern on these less expensive barrel is that barrel thread isn't' concentric to the bore and might cause a baffle strike...
                      I emailed BCA requesting this matter and no reply from them...

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by dtdraffen View Post
                        Is anyone using BCA barrel with a suppressor? My big concern on these less expensive barrel is that barrel thread isn't' concentric to the bore and might cause a baffle strike...
                        I emailed BCA requesting this matter and no reply from them...
                        Legitimate concern with ANY barrel, regardless of MFG. Always check first prior to shooting. Barrel could be concentric, but the adapter (not direct thread) could be off.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

There was a post on ARF.com where a person quit using his BCA barrel because he thought the weight of the suppressor was affecting the accuracy, like the barrel was drooping. He was using a light weight M-4 profile barrel and switched to a BA barrel IIRC.

The barrels on sale today are a heavy profile which should handle the weight. If the threads weren’t concentric that should be customer service warranty issue. For the price they might be worth a gamble but I think I’d probably buy once cry once and get a Faxon, Ballistic Advantage or Odin.

I found the post.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-24-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• dtdraffen
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2017

I emailed BCA requesting confirmation on barrel thread on 11/16, received reply 21st saying they will get back to me and nothing after that.
                            BA and Faxon got back with me in 1-2 days confirming their barrel threads are concentric to the bore.
                            Not replying back tells me BCA barrel threads are not concentric to the bore. That's how I take it....

Comment

• Randy99CL
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by dtdraffen View Post
                              I emailed BCA requesting confirmation on barrel thread on 11/16, received reply 21st saying they will get back to me and nothing after that.
                              BA and Faxon got back with me in 1-2 days confirming their barrel threads are concentric to the bore.
                              Not replying back tells me BCA barrel threads are not concentric to the bore. That's how I take it....
                              Really???

It's been noted here that BCA does not put a high enough priority on answering emails. I personally asked a question (about the Vet discount) to their sales account and got no response after a couple of weeks. I mentioned it here and another poster gave me the right address and I got a response in a few hours. So no, no response does not mean the threads aren't concentric.

On the BCA website they show pics of their CNC barrel machines. As a retired machinist I'm 99.9999% positive that the threads are cut as part of the automated turning procedure and not formed at some later point with a threading die. Doesn't make any sense to do it that way.

Since I saw this thread earlier today I thought about how I could check the concentricity. I miked my flash hider to make sure it was uniform and then clamped a straight edge onto the hider parallel to the barrel and measured the gap. It's not a perfect method but showed me that the flash hider is in line with the barrel within a few thousanths of an inch over the 4" I could check.
                              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• dtdraffen
                                Unwashed
                                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                                Really???

It's been noted here that BCA does not put a high enough priority on answering emails. I personally asked a question (about the Vet discount) to their sales account and got no response after a couple of weeks. I mentioned it here and another poster gave me the right address and I got a response in a few hours. So no, no response does not mean the threads aren't concentric.

On the BCA website they show pics of their CNC barrel machines. As a retired machinist I'm 99.9999% positive that the threads are cut as part of the automated turning procedure and not formed at some later point with a threading die. Doesn't make any sense to do it that way.

Since I saw this thread earlier today I thought about how I could check the concentricity. I miked my flash hider to make sure it was uniform and then clamped a straight edge onto the hider parallel to the barrel and measured the gap. It's not a perfect method but showed me that the flash hider is in line with the barrel within a few thousanths of an inch over the 4" I could check.
                                thanks that's good to know

Comment

Working...
                                X