• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

123 eld-m for varmints

With my testing thus far using the 123 eld-m going 2460 from a 16" tube, I can safely say they expand exactly like the AMAX.

Few of my hunting friends in the U.K were claiming that they were disappointed in the 140 ELD-M as a replacement of the beloved 140 AMAX round because they were not expanding with the same veracity.

We do have the 143 eld-x now, but apparently it's harder to get bullets over there labeled as "expanding hunting bullets" compared to match bullets?

These are three different examples of groundhogs take. Anywhere from 100-200 yards. Exact same expansion and carnage with all three. Looking forward to putting a couple coyores down with these.
    Attached Files
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

How do you think the 123 ELD-M would handle whitetail? Where I'm at in Texas I can get the ELD-M a lot easier than AMAX or SST, and for cheaper at most places. I'm new to the forum and just recently finished my Grendel, running an 18" AR Performance barrel, and I'll be taking shots on deer around 200 yards or under, so any help would be great!

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Amax is discontinued (converted into ELD).

You can get anything via online shopping.

Ammoseek is your friend for finding reloading components also.

People swear by SST for hunting but the bottom line is how well the darn thing shoots out of your gun. I can't get it to group consistently under an inch, where ELD I can get below .5, and the occasional ragged hole. But I don't hunt anything but paper (targets and 1 - 1.5 MOA steel plate targets out to 900.

Doublenaughtspy (career pig hunter on this forum) tried ELD and was not impressed with it for hunting, not consistent expansion/damage. IIRC he swears by SST.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
        How do you think the 123 ELD-M would handle whitetail? Where I'm at in Texas I can get the ELD-M a lot easier than AMAX or SST, and for cheaper at most places. I'm new to the forum and just recently finished my Grendel, running an 18" AR Performance barrel, and I'll be taking shots on deer around 200 yards or under, so any help would be great!
        Based on LRRPF52s recovered 123 eld-m from a whitetail kill, I believe they would be great for whitetail. That's what I'll be using this November for my hunting season.

I'll agree that the 123 eld didn't perform as well as the 123 SST on hogs with DNS testing, but hogs are ALOT tougher than whitetail. And regardless the eld performed respectable, just not as consistent as the SST.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Thank you both for the input, I really appreciate it! Like I said, I'm new to the forum and to the Grendel, but I already love it, just have a lot to learn still.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            Based on LRRPF52s recovered 123 eld-m from a whitetail kill, I believe they would be great for whitetail. That's what I'll be using this November for my hunting season.

I'll agree that the 123 eld didn't perform as well as the 123 SST on hogs with DNS testing, but hogs are ALOT tougher than whitetail. And regardless the eld performed respectable, just not as consistent as the SST.
            Must have been some other member's recovered 123gr ELD-M from a whitetail, not mine.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Must have been some other member's recovered 123gr ELD-M from a whitetail, not mine.
              Not you personally, but I thought I remembered a post where you had a picture of the actual bullet a friend sent/gave you of a 123 eld-m recovered from a whitetail kill?

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Haha found it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X