• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Primer ?

In the past for my 204/223/308 AR's I have been using plain Winchester SR/LR primers. My bolt guns I use match or benchrest primers. Any of you reloaders have preference or really notice a difference between regular, magnum or benchrest primers?

I'm getting ready to load up 90ge Speer TNTs over XBR 8028 and Hornady brass. Than some 123gr A-Max.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

For the Grendel? I suggest CCI #450 or #41, and Remington 7 1/2. Don't look back.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

I use Federal Small Rifle Match (GM205M) or Federal Small Rifle AR Match (GM205MAR). They are the hottest non magnum primer and are interchangeable. The ARs have a harder cup so I use them if I get a little flattening or cratering during load development with the GM205Ms (I use them for load development so I have a better idea of how warm I'm getting). I find the Federals easier to seat than CCIs.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

This pops up about once every other month at least, and is covered in-depth in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks.

Use the thicker cups from this chart for SRPs (Small Rifle Primers). I've been using Rem 7 1/2 BR primers mostly since I started reloading for 6.5 Grendel. Also have used CCI450. Have boxes of Wolf SRPs I haven't tried yet.

Have never had issues with the primers I use in the AR15, whether loading .223 Rem or 6.5 Grendel.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X