• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank45
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

Talk me out of a Dillon 550

New to reloading. I've used the search function to mixed reviews about a Dillon for rifle loads. I want to reload. 45 acp, 9mm, 5.56, .308, Grendel, and 6.5 Creed. I'm willing to buy multiple presses but would rather not. Thanks for your time. - Frank
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Can't help you.

I could not afford one, so went with a Lee Loadmaster, and have mfg over 15k rounds in 5.56, .40 and .44mag.

For the Grendel and 5.56, you can do precision loading on that press, just take the time to get matched powder charges.

I however am going to buy a single stage or simple turret press for my Grendel and Mk.242 loads.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Boostmeister
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

No need to talk you out of the 550. I have one on the left corner of my reloading bench and a Redding T-7 turret press on the right. I will say that my precision/match 6.5 and 308 ammo is loaded on the T-7, it is hard to beat the 550 for volume reloading of handgun ammo. I have also loaded a lot of 308, 25-06, 22-250, and other rifle ammo on the Dillon. I would also say that the 550 is a better match for someone just getting into reloading that the 650 as there is more room for error on the 650 until you develop some experience on it. It's a great piece of equipment with outstanding customer service. If you are up in the air over a single stage vs. a progressive, there is a conversion to allow the 550 or 650 to be used as a single stage press.

Comment

• acourvil
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

You can load precision rifle ammo as well as high volume ammo on the 550. The main weakness for precision ammo is the powder drop, but you don't have to go fully progressive for precision ammo, you can weigh powder charges separately. Some people worry about more "play" in sizing/seating stations, but that can be minimized by a few additions and careful usage. UniqueTek has a bunch of useful add-ons/upgrades for the 550. If you have limited room and don't want to set up multiple presses, the 550 is a pretty decent option. I load 45acp, 260 Rem, 300WM, 5.5 Grendel and 6 Creedmoor on mine.

Comment

• DDRanch
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

OP

You can't go wrong drinking the Blue Kool Aid. Pay once, cry once! I have a 650 and 2 550's that I load both pistol and rifle on. All of my brass prep for rifle is done on a Rock Chucker that I bought around 25 years ago or so. Plinking rifle ammo is done on the Dillons, while the precision ammo is loaded on the Rock Chucker.
          This just my opinion as there are many other good presses out there as other will chime in on.
          Just use your Google Foo for research before you make a decision. Maybe find some one near you that can mentor you.
          Good Luck
          Last edited by DDRanch; 07-21-2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• lwminton
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Boostmeister View Post
            No need to talk you out of the 550. I have one on the left corner of my reloading bench and a Redding T-7 turret press on the right. I will say that my precision/match 6.5 and 308 ammo is loaded on the T-7, it is hard to beat the 550 for volume reloading of handgun ammo. I have also loaded a lot of 308, 25-06, 22-250, and other rifle ammo on the Dillon. I would also say that the 550 is a better match for someone just getting into reloading that the 650 as there is more room for error on the 650 until you develop some experience on it. It's a great piece of equipment with outstanding customer service. If you are up in the air over a single stage vs. a progressive, there is a conversion to allow the 550 or 650 to be used as a single stage press.

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1553
            I had a 550 and traded it for a Square Deal B for pistol and got a T7 for my 6mm AR and 6.5 Grendel. I use the T7 for rifle because I weigh powder separately and I don't have to change dies for 2 calibers (although you can buy separate heads)

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

Money well spent in the get what you pay for category. Cranks out some quality ammo, or you can single stroke it for load development. This works great if you have an electronic powder dispenser.
              Only press i have but load .380 acp, 9mms, 45 acps, 44 mags, 308 win, 300 blks, 5.56s, 6.5 grendels and my 458 Socoms.

With the quick change kits, changing calibers is about a 7 minute job.
              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• justified
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2011

I have a 550 that I use for 9mm, .38 spc, .41 magnum, 5.56, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I just bought a 650 for more speed in 9 mm and .40.

The set-ups and change overs are easy once you get a handle on it. Changing over 650 is much harder and costs much more. Get a single stage press for resizing rifle brass. I couldn't get my 5.56 resized enough on the 550.

A lesson I learned on the 550 is to not replace a case if you have a problem. For example you are in mid-run of 9mm. You resize a case and you find it is cracked and it is discarded. Don't try to replace it. Just advance the empty space in the shell plate. I found more problems came from the trying to keep the shell plate full. That and look in every case as it advances.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

You can load fine rifle ammo on the 550b. there are procedures and practices though, other than straight progressive.
                  Too tired right now to write a tutorial, but they are out there.

I've had mine since '93.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Frank45 View Post
                    New to reloading. I've used the search function to mixed reviews about a Dillon for rifle loads. I want to reload. 45 acp, 9mm, 5.56, .308, Grendel, and 6.5 Creed. I'm willing to buy multiple presses but would rather not. Thanks for your time. - Frank
                    F45:

I would not recommend a progressive press for someone new to reloading, unless you are a competitive pistol shooter who needs hundreds of rounds a week.

Basic problems you will face with the 550 and most progressives is getting the primer feed to function perfectly, every time. Next will be setting the powder measure so it fills the case and doesn't dump powder on your press. Setting the sizing die for rifle may also be a problem.

Normally, when you realize you have made a mistake while loading with a progressive, you have loaded a bunch of ammo that needs to be disassembled or thrown away. So, to disassemble a lot of loaded ammo quickly, you will need a bullet puller die and a single stage press.

Get the single stage press first. Learn how to handload and all the gear associated with handloading. Then get a progressive is my advice to new handloaders.

LR55

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

i have a 650 and a rcbs partner press on my bench i find my self using the partner quite a bit especially for rifle, i went kind of the backwards order in reloading equipment i got my 650 first and have loaded just about everything on it the issue with progressive press and precision lies in the powder drop, this can be overcome by slowing down a bit on pistol cases or blackout where its a relatively small charge going through a relatively large hole i have never had an issue and the the rounds are as good as anything my dillon powder measure actually drops more consistently than my lyman 55 as long as the powder is one the meters well i think that has mostly to do with the fact that it moves during the drop to encourage full filling and shaking loose powder for the drops, with 223 grendel 308 where he powder charges increase a bit and the hole the powder has to flow through shrinks relatively you just have to slow down with pistol rounds its no trouble to hit 600+ rounds an hour with rifle its best to keep the rate below around 300 rounds an hour or less depending on case capacity being filled

given the hassle of changing calibers if i am not loading a decent volume i often just use the single stage for load work up extra large magnum cases and a few calibers i never intend to load an exceptional amount of ammo for i dont bother with the dillon a $6 shell holder is a lot cheaper than a $80 caliber conversion and a new tool head in addition to the dies

the 550 is better suited to rifle than the 650 and a fair bit cheaper but the 650 is a much faster press and the auto indexing makes for faster loading especially with pistol

if your primary reloading will be rifle i recommend getting a single stage to start out with and go from there other than the $6 shell holder everything you will get to get started with a single stage it will all carry over into progressive loading

one thing of note particularly with hand gun if dillon makes them in your caliber i recommend getting the dillon dies also with rifle i have dillon 223 and 308 dies when i got a 30-06 i picked up a set of redding dies and ended up needing a small base die to go with it as the redding dies wouldn't size once fired brass enough to chamber in my gun which turned out to have a tight chamber the dillon dies are small base, when i started reloading 357 sig i bought a set of rcbs dies and it was a nightmare i returned them and ordered the dillon set even though it was substantially more other dillon dies are not grossly than others except for the bottlenecked pistol cartridges which are supstantionally more as the are carbide
                      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• dgr416
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2017

I.have had a dillion550 20 years it's awesome .I just finally wore it totally out after over 100,000 rounds of big bore rifle loading .I use it for my 416 rem mag and 338-378 weatherby and I.form cases on.it .Dillion gave me a new press when I sent mine in free .It's a tough machine I was really hard on mine forming cases which is probably better done on a single stage .I can load about 300 416 rem mags in an hour on it given I have enough powder .They are awesome machines and we'll worth the money !

Comment

• Cleric
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2017

So Dillion is good. I bought a hornady, so here are some thoughts

Learning- learning on a progressive is much harder. Truth be told I did, but it was 45acp which is a lot more forgiving. Just take it slow.

4 spots vs 5 spots- the 550 has 4 spots so you generally can't run a powder cop die

Powder throw- as opposed to a single stage where you weigh out powder, with a progressive powder structure (ball, flake, etc) makes a huge difference

Auto index- it won't auto index which is a bit of pain

Cost- how much do you shoot? Make sure you understand the math. I "saved" money when I shot pistol matches. Now not so much because of volume of rounds

Why are you reloading- if you want the bets ammo, progressive powder throws won't do it. You need to get a thrower, either a balance beam, rcbs thrower, and the 1k+ auto throwers. The best I have seen costs 4K and that's just the the thrower

I am only planning to progressive some 223. I am looking for ammo that is good to 300ish yards and am fine with that. For my precision loads it's single stage all the way

You can't go wrong with Dillon or Hornady. I would watch a lot of videos to understand everything before you start reloading

Comment

• DDRanch
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Don't forget Dillon's Lifetime Warranty on the 550 & 650. Break a part, just call them and a replacement part is on the way. When you wear your press out ship it back to Dillon and they will overhaul it for free. And don't forget you get a monthly copy of the "Blue Press".

Comment

• Hoser1
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2015

I inherited my dads dillion 550, cant wait to start using it this winter for a large volume of 30-06, 45 acp, and some grendel. My dad says he used it for rifle reloading a lot, he just simply weighed the powder charge on a lyman scale and dumped it into the case. If you go to dillion.com or even graf and sons, you will find all the pieces you need. I put my single stage under the bench, but will be getting it back out for working up loads from time to time. I agree with all the guys here, you should have both for all the right reasons. If nothing else start with a single stage,you can always upgrade in a few years. no need to buy new dies, you can use what you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X