Clear All
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

So, I thought I would have some rounds downrange by Thanksgiving...hahahaha. Oh, if only I knew...

The Young Manufacturing bolt carrier does not play nice with the Ballistic Advantage gas tube. I have 2 of them. One I purchased directly from Young Mfg and one through Rainier Arms. The gas key on both will not interface with the BA gas tube without excessive force (the bolt carrier slamming home WILL seat it but I scraped the hell out of the Geissele Super Charging handle when pulling it out again). Okay, I thought. Simple fix, right? Just order a different gas key.

The Eisenach nitrided bolt carrier and my LAR nickel boron bolt carrier both seat fine in the rifle.

I ordered a FailZero gas key with the intention of swapping it out on the Young's Chromed carrier.

Nope. That gas key doesn't work either.

I have a Spikes Tactical and a Voodoo Innovations (Adams Arms) gas tube coming in for 2 other builds I'm working on. I'll see if those fit the Young's gas key any better. Probably just going to end up using the LAR bolt carrier in this rifle.

Oh, and the bolt will seat with the Eisenach and LAR bcgs but it takes a bit more force than I'm comfortable with so, thinking about either a JP Enterprises 6.5 Grendel bolt or maybe a group by bolt right here on the forum.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Is your gas tube lined up/centered in the upper? Don't know that I have ever heard of that many problems getting a carrier/key to cooperate.

That many different keys and carriers, I'd be looking at the gas tube as the problem.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• js8588
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Is your gas tube lined up/centered in the upper? Don't know that I have ever heard of that many problems getting a carrier/key to cooperate.

That many different keys and carriers, I'd be looking at the gas tube as the problem.
          I also tried a separate Ballistic Advantage gas tube I have laying around by simply inserting the tube into the gas keys. It will not fit in either the Young's or the FailZero. Works fine with the Eisenach and LAR.

Whenever the US Postal (dis)service gets around to delivering the Voodoo and Spikes Tactical gas tubes I'll try the same thing. It may be the BA gas tube dimensions

Comment

• js8588
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

24254367_1712412448809783_7282164320778059776_n.jpg

Because threads without pictures are useless.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10323[/ATTACH]

Because threads without pictures are useless.
              Is that your AR-15 prayer desk?

There seem to be a lot of problems with Young manufacturing. Are they a viable Mil Spec manufacturer?

Did you try measuring the bolt face depth and the locking lugs?

Charging handles always seem to get scraped up.
              Last edited by bj139; 12-05-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• js8588
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

The US Postal (dis)service managed to lose my voodoo innovations gas tube while simultaneously attaching the package label from it to someone else's clothing return to a different company...then delivering said package to me. Ever try explaining to your significant other why opal earrings and womens clothes were in a package delivered to you? Fun times.

The curse of the Grendel is real.

Comment

Working...
                X