• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • js8588
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

1st Grendel Build: Parts List (so far) and Input Request

I just about have all the parts together for my first Grendel build (and first AR build period). Going with a target rifle to start (then a hunting rig followed by a "life and liberty" project). I have all the upper parts purchased sans glass and bipod (probably going to save up for a nice Zeiss scope and just enjoy it with irons for now). Leaning towards an Accu-Tac SR-5 bipod, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Upper parts list:
    Dez Tactical 19.3 inch keymod rail
    Hardened Arms 24 inch Bull Barrel (lovely company with fantastic customer service)
    Mega Arms side charging upper receiver
    Young Manufacturing chromed side charging bcg and bolt
    Geissele Super Ambi rear charging handle
    Troy folding battle sights (HK style front sight)
    Ballistic Advantage nitrided rifle length gas tube and .936 gas block
    Seekins Precision ATC Muzzle Brake

The lower is still a work in progress. I'm not 100% sure which receiver to go with. I was planning to go with a Mega Arms GTR 3H Ambi, but now I'm considering a Seekins SBA15 since it's a couple ounces heavier and would help balance out that heavy barrel and handguard.

Lower parts list (already purchased):
    Elftmann Match trigger (curved)
    Elftmann anti rotation/anti walk pins
    Magpul PRS Stock
    Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip w palm shelf
    Battle Arms Development Enhanced Takedown/pivot pins
    CMMG Safety selector.

I just need to settle on which lower receiver, a buffer tube/buffer system, and a mag release and I'm good to go. What say the experts here? Also, did I screw up any of my parts selection so far?
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

i didnt know hardened arms sold just barrels, dont see them on the website either.
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mdram View Post
      i didnt know hardened arms sold just barrels, dont see them on the website either.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

nice, they do have great customer service, i have a 5.56 upper from them
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• js8588
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

I'll be buying one of their Talon rails for another build I've got going.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Well certainly that's one which is lacking in details to say the least. No mention of chamber type, bolt type or depth to name a couple...looks like a re-badged BCA.

Comment

• js8588
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
              Well certainly that's one which is lacking in details to say the least. No mention of chamber type, bolt type or depth to name a couple...looks like a re-badged BCA.
              All of their barrels are made in house, not BCA. They're type 2.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Looking forward run some range reports on this rig. Not familiar with that barrel.

Comment

• js8588
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

Starting to come together... 22710306_2065897436973409_7535572467893403648_n.jpg

Comment

• js8588
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

Finished the lower myself. Have the upper minus the muzzle brake at the gunsmith (I don't own a vice/torque wrench etc). Turns out Seekins botched the threading so I'll be calling them in the morning.

Still need a scope, scope mount (going with a Larue mount probably), and a bipod (thinking Accutac). Probably will get some rounds through it with irons by Thanksgiving.

Comment

• stilesg57
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

Build sounds like it's coming together well -- pic of the lower looks good. Really interested to see how that long handguard looks on a 24" barrel...I'm thinking going extra long with the handguard on my eventual build too.

Good luck with the Seekins call

Comment

• js8588
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

Seekins was helpful. They're going to verify it's out of spec and send a new one. Was able to speak to a real person within about 2 minutes of calling.

Comment

• stilesg57
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2017

That's good to hear!

I'm actually just giggling to myself about how similar our parts lists are...I haven't decided on a barrel/bolt/handguard yet but you're totally gonna guinea pig the rest of those parts for me all the way from the Mega upper receiver to the gen 3 PRS stock to the BA gas tube and block and even down to the enhanced takedown pins, ha. I'll be watching your threads closely!

Oh, to your last questions on your first post: any reason not to use a standard rifle tube and buffer? I'd go VLTOR A5 on anything that telescopes but given the PRS stock I'd just go mil spec rifle. Given that picture from the other day, have you already picked these out? For mag releases I am a huge fan of the Odin Works XMR gen 2 or 3 (not a fan of the gen 1) and have them on most of my rifles. I think you need the gen 3 to clear the anti rotation pins. I got my billet lower in a CO state theme and it mates with the Mega upper really well. It looks like yours fits the Mega nicely too and doesn't geek out on CO love though

Comment

• js8588
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by stilesg57 View Post
                            That's good to hear!

I'm actually just giggling to myself about how similar our parts lists are...I haven't decided on a barrel/bolt/handguard yet but you're totally gonna guinea pig the rest of those parts for me all the way from the Mega upper receiver to the gen 3 PRS stock to the BA gas tube and block and even down to the enhanced takedown pins, ha. I'll be watching your threads closely!

Oh, to your last questions on your first post: any reason not to use a standard rifle tube and buffer? I'd go VLTOR A5 on anything that telescopes but given the PRS stock I'd just go mil spec rifle. Given that picture from the other day, have you already picked these out? For mag releases I am a huge fan of the Odin Works XMR gen 2 or 3 (not a fan of the gen 1) and have them on most of my rifles. I think you need the gen 3 to clear the anti rotation pins. I got my billet lower in a CO state theme and it mates with the Mega upper really well. It looks like yours fits the Mega nicely too and doesn't geek out on CO love though
                            Went with a White Oak Armament rifle buffer tube (7075 T6), a standard rifle buffer and a chrome silicon buffer spring from Damage Industries.

No play whatsoever between the Mega upper and the Seekins lower. Not quite as perfect a fit as the CMT upper and Mega lower on the RECCE build I've got going, but pretty close.

Comment

• js8588
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

The builder called me today. Another issue. The young mfg bolt will not go into battery with the barrel. I bought it from Rainier over the summer and after a quick look over the reviews, another buyer had the same issue with that bolt using a BSF barrel.

I called Hardened Arms just to confirm they use a type II chamber and they were, again, ridiculously nice (it's seriously like I'm talking to a close family member every time I deal with them). They do. The issue is definitely the bolt.

I emailed Young Mfg to see if they can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X