• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hogs, Coyotes, A 'Dillo, Multiple Hunts

On Monday, I started hunting with a Pulsar Apex LRF (Laser Rangefinding) XQ38 thermal sight on my 22" Grendel rifle. I got onto a sounder of hogs and shot one individual Unfortunately, I failed to close the battery compartment correctly and the scope cut off. When I got the door closed, all the hogs were running including the one I shot, disappearing into the woods. I went over to look for it, trying to see it in the woods (not going into strange woods after a potentially wounded hog in the dark) when I spied the (another?) sounder and managed to drop a 210 lb sow from that group...

On Wednesday, I returned to the same property, hoping for hogs, but expecting to see some coyotes since there was one, possibly two carcasses in the area to act as bait. After a couple of hours, no luck for hogs or coyotes despite being in the right area and even using a caller. So I moved to a new area and tried calling for a while. Nada. Figuring I wasn't going to have any luck, I headed back to the truck when I spied two coyotes out on the field where I had left the hog on Monday, not far from where I had originally been set up to hunt. I stalked in and only had one coyote in sight, shot it, and the other (another?) ran off in the distance. So I figured I was done, but then an armadillo popped up in front of me (landowner hates them) and I shot it. I usually don't want to waste the ammo or make the noise, but my hunt was over anyway, so why not make the landowner happy? I turned off my recorder, collapsed my shooting sticks, and started heading toward my downed coyote when I spied another coyote come out behind the brush behind where I shot the armadillo. I extended my sticks, turned on the recorder, got my rifle on target and shot, just prior to the recorder finishing the boot-up sequence and so the shot was not recorded. So two coyotes and one armadillo down...

Moved on to the next properly where the landowner had been letting his son and nephews hunt and fish for a couple of weeks. I don't know that they did any good because the first time I walked in after dark, I came across a large sounder. Aside from the normal aspect of the hunt, was a bit surprised when a stilled 230 lb boar showed signs of life 30 minutes after having been shot at least 3 times and he attempted to lunge at me. Fortunately, he was spined and injured in one foot. I unloaded my pistol at his head as he thrashed about on two legs and he fell over, but was still breathing and had blink reflex. A slow, well placed shot put an end to him, finally. This aspect, unfortunately was not on video, but trust me when I say that it was rather exciting. ALWAYS BE WARY WHEN WALKING UP ON DOWNED HOGS, PARTICULARLY LARGER HOGS, EVEN WHEN THEY APPEAR TO BE DEAD.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Third video at the end...this popped into my head

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Wow great footage!! Your hunting clips are always top notch!

Comment

• Les
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

Almost makes me wish we had hogs up here. lol Almost. Great footage again.
        Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Third video at the end...this popped into my head

https://youtu.be/MX7Yo0tWDgk?t=46
          That isn't too far from correct, but the hog was a little more animated, LOL.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
          X