• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Safety Guy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Hunting at close range

What factory loaded ammo would you guys recommend for white tail hunting inside of 150 yards out of an 18" barrel (if that makes a difference). Are there factory loads available that might not expand if traveling too fast? Wish they made core-loc's for the Grendel, that's all I ever use in my 308.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

The 123 SST will serve you very well. It's of good quality, usually available, and terminally impressive.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld

Box of 50. Solid copper (no lead in your meat). Remember its for hunting and not plinking. It would probably take me 10 years to shoot 50 deer/ hogs. There are other options as well on their website like 100grain etc...

Comment

• Safety Guy
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
        https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precis...rnes-ttsx.html

Box of 50. Solid copper (no lead in your meat). Remember its for hunting and not plinking. It would probably take me 10 years to shoot 50 deer/ hogs. There are other options as well on their website like 100grain etc...
        $121 for 50 rounds? Am I reading that right?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Precision Firearms basically makes custom, precision loaded ammo and you pay for custom, precision loaded ammo. PF has very good QC. The TTSX is a premium priced bullet compared to something like an SST or Federal Fusion soft point, but of which you can get, factory loaded for about $20 +/- for 20 rounds and will do the job nicely, but do contain lead. In my limited experience with PF ammo and much more with Hornady, PF has a smaller standard deviation on the velocity, but the difference likely won't be significant for how most folks hunt and not for only 150 yards.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

I wouldn't worry about not expanding but more about exploding. But I don't think grindel velocities even at 20 yd are to fast for most available loads. I would stick to hunting bullets such as 123sst and you should be fine. I like the idea of factory loaded lead free but PF prices are driving me to start reloading.
            Last edited by Troutguide; 07-23-2017, 04:13 AM.
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

With the PF barnes bullet loads if you counted the cost to the average reloader they are not making much on the ammo at that price. I am sure they get the components at a better price but at Midway prices it is about $2 a round.

For less expensive ammo that will work Hornady SST or Federal Fusion will work well.

Comment

• ARLegolover
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2017

Looks like that is what I will be loading up soon after my buy/build. NorCal is implementing a "lead free" law ! Already enforced in "Condor Country" 😢😢😢😢

Comment

• Smoke
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2014

Hornady 123 gr SST for the win .. Fairly cheap for factory ammo and will do real well if you place your shots in the engine room

If you get into handloading look closely at 120 gr Nosler BT's Great deer bullet
                  Last edited by Smoke; 07-29-2017, 03:18 PM.
                  I was here once .. Got killed by the site .. Back again but not much

Comment

• Safety Guy
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2017

Thanks guys. I added a couple boxes of the SST's for hunting to go along with the 500 rounds of Wolf.

Comment

• Les
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

SST's are effective, but destructive inside of 50 yds. Bullet placement is key as always.
                      Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Oh, I think they are plenty destructive well beyond 50 yards, LOL.
                        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 1075 tech
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Les View Post
                          SST's are effective, but destructive inside of 50 yds. Bullet placement is key as always.
                          Shot a small doe last year at maybe 25-30 yards. Should've taken head/neck shot. Took a behind the shoulder shot. Double lung and heart shot. The hide was the only thing holding the leg on.

Comment

• Les
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                            Oh, I think they are plenty destructive well beyond 50 yards, LOL.
                            I believe that, just didn't want to make a blanket statement with my limited experience with them. I haven't shot anything past 50 yds with it yet.
                            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• s3silver
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

If non-lead isn't an issue, I vote for the sst as well. Performance should be on par with the corelokt you mentioned, but with much better bc. The sst is a tough bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X