Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting at close range

What about a high yaw sensitive tumbling bullet that turns into sort of a boomerang head-over-heel through medium game?

All the results I'm seeing so far from different people across the US are quick kills on hogs and deer with the 7n6-like 6.5mm projectile.

Doesn't appear to ice pick at all. I can't post the deer pics, but it's pretty brutal, DRT.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

At 30 yds? Wow. That hole must've been huge. Did it exit, do you know?

Warrior
    Interesting point, but is there any predictability to bullet performance? Where I live we have to use an expanding bullet for big game so my information base is quite small. When I try to use 5.56 55gr factory solids on coyote I've had many run off never to be found, some after being tracked for over a mile. I'd guess hitting major bones would matter. I always endeavor for DRT.

We have to use expanding bullets on big game here in Utah by law as well. Mulies are considered big game.

I just included the Wolf steel case for those that might be interested in how it performs on tissue.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    I'd be interested to see what the wound cavity looks like.

Bloodstained
    Not sure about the wound cavity. The exit hole on the only hog I've shot with the Wolf FMJ was over an inch in diameter.

Warrior
    Was penetration straight line or close?

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kswhitetails View Post
    At 30 yds? Wow. That hole must've been huge. Did it exit, do you know?
    On the doe I shot with the SST, there was the small hole in the hide. Under that though..... Every rib was broken from the sternum. I could put my fist through the hole. Neat little hole through the heart but both lungs were liquified. There was no exit. I found the majority of the bullet under the stomach, just under the hide.

At what distance?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1075 tech View Post
    On the doe I shot with the SST, there was the small hole in the hide. Under that though..... Every rib was broken from the sternum. I could put my fist through the hole. Neat little hole through the heart but both lungs were liquified. There was no exit. I found the majority of the bullet under the stomach, just under the hide.
    Travis Kay
    http://www.traviskay.ca
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by protozen View Post
    At what distance?
    25-30 yards

Warrior
    That is the explosion I am worried about. I really want two holes and a golf ball size channel not fist size. I will hunt with SST this season and if not impressed I will reload something less explosive. I'm just talking from info gathered I have only shot one hog with SST and that was brain shot so hard to tell what it did other than take out the back of the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I can't post the deer pics, but it's pretty brutal, DRT.
    I was gonna ask!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL :: Make ARs Great Again ::

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Quote Originally Posted by 1075 tech View Post
    25-30 yards
    Thanks for replying, it was still smoking at that point, I wonder what would have happen with a-max.
    Travis Kay
    http://www.traviskay.ca
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Troutguide View Post
    That is the explosion I am worried about. I really want two holes and a golf ball size channel not fist size. I will hunt with SST this season and if not impressed I will reload something less explosive. I'm just talking from info gathered I have only shot one hog with SST and that was brain shot so hard to tell what it did other than take out the back of the skull.
    Seems to be what the SST is intended to do, explosive immediate expansion being designed in. I would suggest any partition, or bonded hunting bullet would give wound channel attributes centered on what you mention here. If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest the reloading manuals by some of the guys here on the site. Amazingly detailed testing was done on many projectiles to prove accurate and reliable reload data on Grendel and provide insight into performance of the actual bullets in real world application. Well worth the investment, and you will find information that answers these concerns with accuracy and actual tested validation well beyond the possibility of opinions posted on any message board.

Not that these opinions are ever wrong...