• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlhwv
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

Factory and custom loads for JP barrel

I could use some help. Recently completed my 18" JP barreled hunting setup. I don't handload, but Have a friend who will be working on hunting loads, starting with a 100gr ttsx. Looking to gather as much info as I can around what has worked well for others with JP setups, both in Factory and customer loads. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by carlhwv; 07-21-2017, 01:46 PM.
    Carl
    NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
    Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
    Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Get these. How much experience does your friend have reloading? If he's familiar with loading for gas guns, it's a fairly straightforward discipline.

Biggest things are setting the shoulders back enough, using the right primers and primer seating depth, as well as safe load procedures and correct charge weight/bullet combinations.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
      Bloodstained
      • May 2017

I sent him a pot of each. He's been reloadimg for quite some time, but not gas guns. I saw you other post about 129 gr ABLRs. If I can find some I'll ship him a box. Per Noslers listed powders, have you tried 8208?
      Carl
      Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I've used 8208XBR under other bullets, but I purposely avoid using it with anything higher than 123gr. Even with 123gr, it can spike pressure on you if you exceed 28.0-28.5gr, depending on your chamber and brass.

8208XBR is a perfect powder for 100gr cup and core bullets like the 100gr NBT, and target bullets like the 107gr SMK.

For many people, they've had their best results with 8208XBR under 123gr as well.

You really do have to watch yourself with 129gr, as it is pretty fast for that bullet weight. I personally like CFE223 for the 129gr ABLR.

Volume I Hodgdon's data shows you why 8208XBR is such a good powder for 100gr cup and core bullets. It has one of the fastest speeds, but had 2,000psi less chamber pressure compared to the other 2 loads.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

The Barnes manual shows 8208xbr as one for the 100gr ttsx, so if we were to go with two powders to cover where we are starting CFE223 and imr8208xbr look like our starting points. Thanks for the info.
          Last edited by carlhwv; 07-22-2017, 08:02 PM.
          Carl

Comment

Working...
          X