Meopta Meopro - Any thoughts about them for 20" hunting rig out west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 243chris
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Meopta Meopro - Any thoughts about them for 20" hunting rig out west?

I think I just made a pretty good buy on a Meopta Meopro HTR 4.5-14x50mm from Midway at $598. It is a 1" tube and most AR mounts seem to be 30mm, but all the other specs seemed to be pretty good. Did I make a mistake?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have no experience with Meopta but I like one inch scope tubes because of their size weight/length on a gun I will shoot off hand. I put a 1" Vortex Diamondback on my latest 16" 6.5 Grendel. I really wanted a 20 MOA mount because the 6.5 Grendel stays supersonic past 800 yards. The best reasonably priced 20 MOA 1" mount I found was a Warne. If you think you might shoot past 800 yards (especially at lower elevation) I'd consider a 20 MOA mount. My scopes elevation max out at 750-800 yards with 123 grain match ammo where I normally shoot.

Everything I have ever read about Meopta has been good.

Comment

• 243chris
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

Vascar2,

I've been looking for mounts and it seems like 90% are for 30mm tubes and the other 10%, for the 1", are flat and don't have the 20MOA adjustment. I'll definitely take a look at the Warne. I think this scope has 68 MOA of adjustment, but probably not enough to get to a thousand yds. Also, I've been think that I would try the Hornady SST 123 or 129 gr and if they shoot well, I would just stick with that. My intended use is antelope and deer (does) from 30 to 150 yds and I want to be confident enough to take and make head or neck shots. I don't like wasting meat.

Does anybody have any experience with the 30MM mounts that have inserts for 1" rings? Seems like another part might create opportunity for movement??

Comment

• nchunt101
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2016

I have the 3-10 Meopro on a .308 Bergara B14 Hunter and love the scope. It is built like a tank and has excellent clairity/light transmission. I am very pleased with the scope and will likely use Meoptas in the future. Look into DNZ mounts. They are very robust and come in various heights/sizes. I use them on most of my rifles and have never had any issues with them.

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

As long as it is a good quality scope and you budgeted enough to get a good quality mount, the rest comes down to personal preference. That Meopro is a good one.

Comment

• shooter545
            Warrior
            • Aug 2012

I don't have your scope but do have a Meopta 1X4 and it was WAY ahead of it's time. It has a daylight visible red dot, great field of view and awesome glass. I didn't want the scope that I have I but an old friend of mine told me about them and said you won't believe how good it is. I said BS! I don't like the reticle and can't believe for that price that it will be like my Aimpoint. I was wrong, way wrong.

I know that all the rage is 1X6 and 1X8 but I can honestly tell you that that little 1X4 is one of the best scopes that I have ever bought. Have another one that is sitting in the safe in case the original ever goes bad.

Hope yours is as good!

Comment

• 243chris
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2017

I am really looking forward to getting it. Had the first one stolen off the front porch after UPS delivered it. Filed a claim with Midway and I have another on back order until 9/22/17. At that rate, I'll have my 20" group buy barrel before the scope gets here.

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Bad luck on the scope, but it will be worth the wait when rhe new one arrives. Meopta makes some very good scoped

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

the meopta is some nice glass. very much like zeiss-- only better i suspect.
                  Last edited by ah1whiskey; 08-29-2017, 10:56 PM. Reason: wrong scope --

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

For a general hunting rig on the AR15 receiver set, a 1" tube is probably more ideal due to weight and light transmission if the optic is of high quality.

1" tubes have the ability to have equal light transmission, but 30mm are popular among LR target shooters because they allow more mechanical adjustment of turrets for long range trajectory compensation.

I don't have much experience behind Meopta to say, but they do have a very good reputation.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sreyemj
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

I don't have a Meopta, but I have the older Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm which was made by Meopta and very similar. It tracks well, has good contrast and clarity. The 4.5-14 has around 65moa of adjustment which is enough and pretty good for a 1" tube.

Here's the Meopta:

And the Zeiss:

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2016

...another on back order until 9/22/17...
                        The scope should be on it's way from Midway. I have a 1" tube Leupold AR MOD1 4-12x40 on my Grendel. It'll work great out west for 600 yard shots. Get a heavy duty AR mount made for a 1" tube. Miles of hiking through rocks, mountains and canyons mean you will bump your scope. You'll need a good rangefinder that has angle compensation.

The Meopta is known for it's quality glass so clarity should be great. My father-in-law has an antique Mirar 35mm camera lens made by Meopta that is very good. They are like Leica that started out making cameras.
                        Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• 243chris
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by AZBackcountry View Post
                          The scope should be on it's way from Midway. I have a 1" tube Leupold AR MOD1 4-12x40 on my Grendel. It'll work great out west for 600 yard shots. Get a heavy duty AR mount made for a 1" tube. Miles of hiking through rocks, mountains and canyons mean you will bump your scope. You'll need a good rangefinder that has angle compensation.

The Meopta is known for it's quality glass so clarity should be great. My father-in-law has an antique Mirar 35mm camera lens made by Meopta that is very good. They are like Leica that started out making cameras.
                          Scope is now on back order until 10/26/17. The Faxon 20" group barrel has arrived (thanks BFT!) and is now assembled with the rest of the parts. I have my hopes up that I will have it in time for a late season cow elk hunt.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 243chris View Post

Does anybody have any experience with the 30MM mounts that have inserts for 1" rings? Seems like another part might create opportunity for movement??
                            I do. I put a 1" scope on a Redfield 30mm mount with inserts from different rings.
                            Shooting and tracking was pretty good then started to deteriorate.
                            A few shots later the scope moved forward under recoil and came out of the rear ring.
                            I don't think this is a good idea for the reason you stated.

Is it good to use Loctite or other tacky material to keep the scope in place on the rings?
                            Last edited by bj139; 10-03-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2016

bj139 is right. I used Badger Ordnance Ring Reducers without and then with Loctite 243 that didn't stop the movement with properly torqued rings.
                              Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

Working...
                              X