To Bed, or Not to Bed the Gas Block? That is the Question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

This is a question that comes up from time to time on the forum. I'm thinking that the bolt carrier key assembly might be a reasonable place to look for answers to gluing the gas block. The BCG is just a few inches along the same gas system. It has a key attached to a carrier and similarly needs a good seal.

MILSPEC has been for many years to add a liquid gasket between the key and the carrier, then fix with two screws - Then stake. As I understand it, the original reason for staking is due to the belief that if thread locker alone is used on the key's bolts it risks the glue losing purchase as the carrier heats up. Colt have always specified Permatex #3 Aviation as the liquid gasket to use on their keys. Permatex claims a temperature range of -65 - 400 F on their website.

Permatex Aviation link;

An early Colt repair manual in PDF;

On another forum in threads discussing sealing the carrier key someone wrote they had seen a photo in a 2014 Colt manual that had the worker using Loktite sealant. I am thinking there are equivalent sealants and glues in both brands given the close association between the two companies over the years. I have also read that LMT uses Loktite 518 on their keys.

Stands to reason that any liquid gasket sealer that is similar to Permatex #3 Aviation will work at the gas block also.

That said, I have never sealed gas blocks with glue. Typically there is an oversupply of gas to the system and the weapon is quite tolerant of small leaks. If you have functioning issues then sure, why not. I have read that some people lap/polish the join between the carrier key and carrier for a better seal without glue. I have also read advice not to use thread locker, but a dedicated liquid gasket. I have only assembled three carriers with keys and in those cases I used a tube of liquid gasket (can't remember the brand) from the local auto parts store. They still work fine several years later.
    Last edited by Klem; 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X