• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARLegolover
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

New from Kalifornia

Wow I am glad to find this forum ! Sure to be welcomed by other AR lovers !
    Looking for input on a complete upper to share my DS arms lower that currently sports a Fulton Armory match grade 20"heavy barrel.
    So DS seems to have a nice 18" in 6.5grendel in my price range. Will be used for Blacktails, Muleys and Porkeys. 50- 200+ yards. Not sure if 1-8 twist will be sufficient? Will be reloading once I gather some brass etc.
    Any one have input (silly can o worms question i know) on them or others ?
    Let the onslaught begin ! 😉
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum ARLegolover! 1-8 twist is gtg with a 18" 6.5 Grendel. On short barrels Bill Alexander's testing found the 6.5 Grendel accuracy benifited from a faster twist. AA 16" and shorter barrels use 1:7.5 twist, longer barrels are 1:8 and AA has sold 1:9 twist. I have a 1:9 twist 16" and a 1:9 twist 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels and they both have proven accurate with bullets less than 125 grains. My Son in Law has a 22" 1:9 twist and it has proven accurate with 129 grain Hornady SST and soft points.

Pictures and range reports are always welcome on this forum.

Comment

• ARLegolover
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Thanks for the response ! Any input on max bullet weight for this , just starting out with this caliber/barrel ?

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

129/130 is the max but chances are you'll have your best results with 123s.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

1:8 twist is ideal for your 18" or 20" barrels.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum ARlegolover from North Texas. I am currently experimenting with 140gr projectiles in my Grendel for under 300 yard use on pigs, I think the max recommended weight is 142 gr. The 120-123 gr is a sweetspot for hunting. I know a lot of target shooters who like the 107 gr Sierra for accuracy.

Comment

• ARLegolover
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

A big thanks Boys (Texas,Kilco,StpneHendge,Vascar2) !
              99% sure I'm going this route, a friend has a 6.8spc2(?) and ewants some company but.....
              Any body have input on DSArms uppers ? Going with a complete instead of a build so I can hold 1 person responsible for warranty, etc. My DS sports a Fulton Armory upper ($), also have a full PWS gas piston in .223 Wylde 20" and a BlackRain Ordinance with a STAG upper 16".556 but the DS will be my "swap out" because it has a Rock River 2 stage trigger and that should work well for hunting. Not looking to bust the bank on this upper (5-600$). Any suggestions/input on this or others ?
              Thanks.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

DSArms uses Odin barrels and the few members who bought from DSArms report good customer service. If DSArms had something I wanted I'd have no hesitation buying from them.

Comment

• newb
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2015

Hey, another from "the people's republic", welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X