• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smbob
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

First trip to the range with the new Grendel

First time out with the new Grendel since I put it together. 18" BCA upper. Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44mm scope. I had 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 90gr TNT HP.
    Got it sighted in at 50 yards with 3 rounds. Had cycling issues that I traced to having too heavy of a buffer. I switched the upper over to my 223 Wylde lower and the problems went away immediately. First shot at 100 yards....BULLSEYE! Shot MOA or less groups from there. Amazing! Right out of the gate this baby is on the money! Only a total of about 30 rounds fired today. This rifle and this caliber are outstanding. Recoil is so sweet with this round. Just a nice push to let you know it means business! Going to order some brass, powder, and bullets then get down to business. Thanks for everyone's help and all the vast knowledge here on this forum.

Robert
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting Smbob, sounds like the recoil impulse is a little lighter with 90 grain Federal TNT. What buffer were you using which appeared to heavy. My 16" 6.5 Grendel both have 6 position milspec stock with standard carbine buffer and spring. Both my 16" 6.5 Grendel uppers also function with Spikes T-2 and Colt H-2 buffers.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Thanks for posting Smbob, sounds like the recoil impulse is a little lighter with 90 grain Federal TNT. What buffer were you using which appeared to heavy. My 16" 6.5 Grendel both have 6 position milspec stock with standard carbine buffer and spring. Both my 16" 6.5 Grendel uppers also function with Spikes T-2 and Colt H-2 buffers.
      Did you notice any differences going From a carbine buffer to a H2 is your 16" as well?

Smbob, seems like you have a damn fine shooter on hand!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

What's the gas port diameter and location on the BCA 18"?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
          Did you notice any differences going From a carbine buffer to a H2 is your 16" as well?

Smbob, seems like you have a damn fine shooter on hand!
          I have two 16" 6.5 Grendel carbines, one has a carbine gas system and I used a carbine buffer for a long time. I bought a Spike's T-2 buffer for another build where I ended up using an adjustable gas block. I thought I'd test the T-2 with the carbine length gas barrel and it has functioned fine really can't tell any difference when shooting.

My second 16" 6.5 Grendel is a Faxon mid length gas and is pretty light weight build. I noticed the recoil was noticeably heavier than my 16" H-Bar carbine gas so I had a H2 buffer I decided to test it in the Faxon. The H2 really smoothed out the recoil impulse on the Faxon group buy barrel build. The Faxon has still functioned 100% with the H2 buffer. I need to test the Faxon in cold weather to ensure it still functions but otherwise it's a keeper.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-23-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Smbob
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2017

To be honest, I don't remember who I got the buffer from. It was one of those late night impulse kind of buys from a sight I don't even remember. I do remember it being a "heavier weight, more heavy duty buffer". Big mistake! Standard carbine buffer works just fine! Don't go there! I know better now. Lesson learned.

Robert

Comment

• Mytie
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

Glad to hear it's at least one moa. I to have a ArStoner/BCA barrel. I haven't shot it yet. I was worried from the mixed reviews on these barrels.

Comment

• Smbob
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                What's the gas port diameter and location on the BCA 18"?
                Not sure of the gas port diameter, but it is a mid length setup.

Robert

Comment

• funnelcake
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

The BCA 18's I've seen are .070.

Comment

Working...
                  X