• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Barrel bedding.

When I built my wife's Grendel I forgot to bed the barrel. I just slid it in and torqued her down. I did use anti seize in the nut though. I am kicking myself but am wondering if it should be fine since she will only use it for deer and hogs. She is not into precision shooting. I know it's not hard to break it down and bed but I don't want to if it will work fine as is. It's a 16" AA light with an Aero forged upper reciever. What say the Horde?
  • funnelcake
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

For your purpose(s) run it!! Aero receivers (upper & lower) are typically finished very well. If less than desired results occur THEN head back in!! JMO!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Is there uneven wear on the rear of the bolt lugs where they engage the barrel extension teeth?

I think squaring the receiver face is more important for balancing the stress on the lugs.

It can't hurt to bed it, but I ran my old school 16" AA Grendel barrel for all these years without bedding.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

shoot it and see

Comment

• Redomen
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

I have not fired it yet. I am in Corpus Christi on a fishing trip. I was going to take it to the range when I get back home.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

I use blue loctite.. never tried it without..

I've use BCM uppers now.. rarely do I get a high spot when I lap the upper, and the barrel extension always goes in VERY tight.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

+1 LR..52 - One of the main reasons to square the face of the upper is to equalize the stresses on the bolt lugs - keeps 'em from breaking after the first missed shot at that BIG critter ( but before the second shot, and now the bolt won't close and the critter is just wounded )

Comment

Working...
              X