• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgr416
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Fixing.to start reloading 6.5 Grendel

I am going to build a 6.5 Grendel ar15 .I have been reloading.30 years and use a dillion. 550 press which I really like the press and the company. I am probably.going.to use 7.62x39 ,brass and form it because I can get it really cheap .I heard not to use Remington 7.62x,39 brass it collapses when formed .What dies are the best for the money .I have had nothing but trouble with hornady anything their dies ,brass and bullets I.try to stay away from them .Hopefully this works out good it's going.to be a kids training shooting gun for learning how to shoot and hunt .I THINK this is a cool little cartridge want to check it out !
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

I have been really happy with the Redding 6.5 Grendel die set I bought. Also I use a Lee collet style FCD crimp die. For brass processing I use a Giraud trimmer and annealer.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I've got mostly rcbs but my grendel dies are hornady. I have no trouble with any of them for all the shooting I do. I do use the 1-shot and let it dry, as my lube... with the rcbs kinda-runny lube I've gotten issues, especially when I don't lube the inside of the case neck. 1-shot for exterior and inside the necks and my brass has all been happy. whatever dies you use get the same brand for the shell holders. Been reloading since mid-70s but the grendels for about a couple years now. my $0.02.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

I started with the Hornady dies, and still use their FL sizing, but ran into issues with inconsistent OAL when compressing charges with the seating die. Also had this issue with their 223 Rem seating dies. Tried the VLD seating stem and still had variance.

Purchased a Redding seating die and the problem went away.

Again this was only when compressing powder during seating, specifically with 100gr bullets over 8208 and 123gr bullets over AR-COMP.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Formed 7.62x39 brass just isn't worth the effort in the long run, and charge weights won't match published data due to reduced case capacity. Brass life on the x39 brass is short as well, and uses Large Rifle Primers vs SRPs.

You're much better off with Hornady and Lapua brass.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

THE ONLY ADVANATAGEs using the Ak brass- is----- when hunting close range--- bye bye brass, and less speeds, for a bit less damage..

Comment

Working...
            X