• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WSAR15
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

NH Newbie

Well, I just joined. I am looking into my first AR15 6.5 Grendel build.
    I am now looking for a 20" SS lightweight barrel and matching bolt. Any advice?
    Any thoughts on the AA 18" lightweight barrel? It has a mid-length gas tube which I have never tried.
    Last edited by WSAR15; 07-23-2017, 02:16 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum WSAR15!

Hard to beat the deal on the current group buy 20" barrel and group buy bolt. Both should arrive in the next few weeks. A forum member put up the cash so the purchase of the group buy 20" Faxon 1:8 twist QPQ (Nitride/Melonite) SS barrel could be ordered. Nathan from Faxon has a post in the GB thread reference to the expected delivery.

There is also a group buy for 6.5 Grendel bolt which is Nitride and is a nice match to the 20" Faxon. I got into the Faxon 16" group buy and I really like my Faxon barrel. The 20" barrel is a light profile. The 18" mid length gas barrels are gtg and the Alexander Arms fluted 18" 6.5 Grendel barrel get great reviews and cost $195.

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of rifle-length 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by Faxon Firearms. These are great hunting barrels. At 20" they give the best velocity one can get within a reasonable field length and with standard
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome sir!

As stated, the 20" faxon group buy seems to fit your needs for a 20" tube.

I don't have personal experience with the 18" AA barrel, but their stuff is top quality and at a damn good price.

I've never used a 18" MLGS, but it would probably function just fine. Maybe an adjustable gas block or heavier buffer could tone things down a bit of required.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        Welcome to the forum WSAR15!

Hard to beat the deal on the current group buy 20" barrel and group buy bolt. Both should arrive in the next few weeks. A forum member put up the cash so the purchase of the group buy 20" Faxon 1:8 twist QPQ (Nitride/Melonite) SS barrel could be ordered. Nathan from Faxon has a post in the GB thread reference to the expected delivery.

There is also a group buy for 6.5 Grendel bolt which is Nitride and is a nice match to the 20" Faxon. I got into the Faxon 16" group buy and I really like my Faxon barrel. The 20" barrel is a light profile. The 18" mid length gas barrels are gtg and the Alexander Arms fluted 18" 6.5 Grendel barrel get great reviews and cost $195.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...uy-205-Shipped
        Welcome to the forum from North Texas.

+1 to what Vascar2 says!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Looks like the 20" group buy is an option.

The AA 18" fluted barrels are hard to beat for the price. MLGS with the correct port diameter will run a wide range of loads well. You have to use adjustable gas in most instances if you suppress them though, and probably a heavier buffer.

Lilja is another option for the AR740 20" barrel.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X