• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgr416
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

any one on.here have a mini 30 converted to 6.5 Grendel

I jus talked to a friend who had a Ruger mini 30 that was converted to 6.5 Grendel .He said it shot awesome way under an inch at 100-yards .I am a Ruger mini 14 fan by far and this looks interesting .The guy was out of Duluth Georgia that did the conversions .I am building an ar15 6.5 Grendel but would rather have a Ruger mini 14-by far I trust them way better than any ar15 made !Used mini 30 are running about $500 these days and a stainless one would be even better .
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Damn, why'd you have to go and mention that! My other mini would be jeleous!

Comment

• dgr416
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Yep now I want one and they hold up way better than a ar15 does and you can have a stainless one .I will probably.look for a mini 30 stainless saw one or two cheap .I.think it's just a barrel swap but I want a boss on mine to tune it too .The one my friend had got shot a ton and never jammed and was always accurate .He said it was about a $500 barrel swap and a little work on.the barrel attachment .I think it's an awesome idea .

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Here is a thread where someone else converted a Mini 30 to 6.5 Grendel. I used the google custom sesrch and found this thread.

For those of you who have suffered over the Mini 30's inherently inaccurate barrel, I offer relief. Check out my Mini 30 conversion to a Mini 6.5! The work was done by Accuracy Systems, Inc. in Byers, CO. New furniture, 1x8 twist 21"x.850" satin finished bull barrel, 11 degree target crown, 3.5# trigger. I'm still

This Company is the only one I know who was converting Mini 14/30 to 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-24-2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• dgr416
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2017

accuratemini14.com does it too guaranteed 1-inch accurate .It's $829 with you furnishing your mini 30 but they use Kriger barrels which are awesome .I may go this way instead of building a ar15 6.5 Grendel .I really like mini 14 Rugers even though this can only be done with mini 30.I know where a stainless one is .This would be an awesome little gun .I am calling them tomorrow .I see too many people with ar15 problems .The friend that had the 6.5 Ruger said it outshot any ar15 they had seen !

Comment

• dgr416
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2017

Yes that is the same company .There is a guy here in Duluth Georgia that does it also.Dang I.just bought another mini 14 should have gotten mini 30 !

Comment

• Brandi
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2014

I'd never give up my Grendel AR but I'd love to have a Grendel Mini-30 to go with it. Unfortunately it's not in the budget but it's a great idea. I've never owned a Mini but I've shot them and I absolutely love the look and feel of them, especially the ones that are set up and look like a real miniature M14/M1A.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I've been around a few mini 14's as they were purchased by a lot of Police Officers in Illinios in the late 70's to early 80's. Mini 14's were around $400 at the time and a Colt SP1 was $800+. I traded for a stainless Mini 14 183 series with 1:10 twist barrel.

There was a Trooper involved shooting on I 57 near Paxton Illinois where a Trooper stopped a couple of cars speeding on Sunday night. The vehicles were stolen and there were at least three stolen vehicles traveling together from Chicago. It was an auto theft ring moving stolen cars from Chicago area south. A gun battle ensued where there was a perpetrator was armed with Mini 14. The Trooper was killed along with a person riding with the Trooper. One Paxton City Officer was killed and another wounded. A couple of the suspects were killed and a couple wounded.

After that incident many Troopers and rural LE started buying Mini 14's and a few who could afford them, AR-15's. Department policy didn't allow rifles at that time but the feeling was you'd rather be in violation of policy but alive. For 50-100 yards the Mini 14's were effective. The only real issue I ever saw with Mini 14's were poor quality non Ruger magazines. I also observed a few Mini 14's have a tendency for the trigger guard to come unlatched. The hinged trigger guard was used for disassembly and was a weak point in the design. If the Mini 14 was used extensively the trigger guards would start randomly coming unlatched.

It's strange how the market works, AR-15's have become so prolific they are now cheap compared to the Mini 14 which are now pretty expensive. At least Ruger has released factory 20 and 30 round magazines so the public can have reliable mags for the Mini 14.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-28-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• funnelcake
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

x2 on the mags!! I was doing a show some time back and an LEO bought a Mini from a buddy of mine. He was purchasing for duty use kinda like as noted above. He picked up a couple aftermarket mags at the show...I largely begged him to use ONLY Ruger stuff!!!

Comment

• Rbl2
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

New kid on the block here.

I just had my mini 30 converted to a mini grendel. The build is so recent i have yet to fire it. I am still waiting for the scope and ammo to be delivered.

Accuracy systems inc in Colorado did the work. It has a 20" x .850 brushed barrel. Trigger is set at 3.5 lbs.

I'd have to check the invoice to see what else was done.

The rifle was returned with a target showing it shot 3 rds into a .457 group.

When I get it sighted in I will post pics and a report

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Rbl2 what magazines are you going to use with your Mini through converted to 6.5 Grendel (Mini 6.5 G). I always figured the five round Ruger Mini 30's would work with 6.5 Grendel but I didn't ever hear for sure. Someone posted the Mini 6.8 SPC mags worked the best.

Just curious if ASI modified your mags or advised which mags to use?

Comment

• Rbl2
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

ASI sent 3 maga back with the rifle. Two are 5 rd ruger made for 6.8 spc. ASI called them 4 rd mags. The 3rd mag is by "promag". It's a 10 rd mag designed again for 6.8 spc. ASI called it a 7 rd magazine. I have yet to try them

I have read there is a problem making 6.5 grendel mags for the mini 30. Apparently that's so or ASI would have sent me better magazines.

I also read but have yet to try that putting a 6.8 spc follower and spring in the original mini 762x39 magazine will allow it to use the 6.5 grendel round.

These are things I've read on line. If they don't work don't hang me.

Comment

• Jmccracken
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Bringing this back from the dead.

To convert, is it just a simple barrel change?

Comment

• djw
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2018

Resurrecting this thread again. I just stumbled on Accuracy Systems page, then found this thread.

There is a laundry list of caliber conversions they will do to your Mini 14 or Mini 30, specific to each rifle.

For 65G, the whole shebang is $899 on your rifle (Mini 30). There are some lesser options, but go check it out. Link is in earlier post.

ALSO, they apparently have added the 6mm ARC to the caliber conversions they will do.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2019

To convert, is it just a simple barrel change?
                              A little more to it than a barrel swap. New gas block for the barrel depending on the profile, new buffer I believe and an op-rod for certain.

Quote from 2017 OP:
                              Used mini 30 are running about $500 these days
                              Mini 30's are almost always pushing 950 to 1G during these times. Even the Mini14's are in this realm. A conversion, if you don't own a Mini30 right now, would cost north of *2000 dollars easy unless you could virtually steal it from an unsuspecting seller who didn't know what they had.
                              *counting purchase of a used Mini 30, upgrading to the BEST barrel offered is extra $$$ plus the conversion itself, shipping charges, taxes, FFL fees, etc, etc.
                              An AR build for a very accurate gun is much less expensive. However, the "cool" factor of a mini in 6.5G may be worth it to some. I'll shoot my mini's as they are from the factory and throw Grendel rounds from an **AR and Ruger RAP.

**if I could find them after that terrible boating accident back in 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X