• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizzo24
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

First Build, First Grendel: Battleworn Copper provided by Blown Deadline

Alright Grendel Fans.....here is my first Rifle Build & my first Grendel.
    Please feel free to share your thoughts: Any good ideas for next build is surely welcome.

* Aeroprecision M4E1 Builder Set.
    - Battleworn Copper done by Blown Deadline.
    - 15" M-Lok Hand Guard.
    * JP Rifles 18" Barrel Kit with Blended 1" x 3" Muzzle break.
    - JP Enhanced Bolt
    - Teflon coated barrel/break.
    - Thermal Dissipator.
    - JP 2-Piece Adjustable gas block.
    - RLGS.
    * Radian Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
    * Radian Ambi Safety Selector
    * Strike Industries Grip.
    * Strike Industries Polymer Dust Cover & Forward Assist.
    * Ambi mag release
    * Magpul B.A.D. Lever
    * BAD black Ti Takedown pins.
    * BAD Nitride coated Bolt Carrier.
    * PWS Buffer Tube, castle nut, end plate
    * BCM H1 buffer
    * Tubbs Flat buffer Spring.
    * Magpul STR Stock.
    * Timney Targa 2-Stage Short throw trigger.
    - Flat Blade
    - 2+2 lbs.
    * Larue Mount
    * Sig Sauer Tango6 3x18 FFP Mil Dot Reticle.
    * Harris BiPod with QD Mount.

-- 8.0 lbs before mount, optic, and bipod.........Then it just got heavy

Next step is to get it to the range and tune the gas block and sight in the optic.
    Let's hope things go smoothly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bizzo24; 07-23-2017, 08:19 PM.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

VERY NICE!!!! I really like that build! I bet it will be a damn good shooter. Don't think I've read about a JP barrel that didn't shoot well.

I like the Sig scopes as well. Great value.

Comment

• Bizzo24
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
      VERY NICE!!!! I really like that build! I bet it will be a damn good shooter. Don't think I've read about a JP barrel that didn't shoot well.

I like the Sig scopes as well. Great value.
      Thanks Kilco. And you're right.....that Sig scope was a great value. And my experience with their customer service has been fantastic.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

That is absolutely luscious!

Can you access the gas block adjustment screw with the handguard on? I can't on my RLGS JP 22er and Key Mod M4E1 kit. Works fine with my load at the factory setting so I'Ve yet to take off the handguard at the range to see if I can gas it down. I need to put that on my to do list lol.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Coqui
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2017

That came out awesome. Very nice, Happy Shooting.

Comment

• Bizzo24
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            That is absolutely luscious!

Can you access the gas block adjustment screw with the handguard on? I can't on my RLGS JP 22er and Key Mod M4E1 kit. Works fine with my load at the factory setting so I'Ve yet to take off the handguard at the range to see if I can gas it down. I need to put that on my to do list lol.

StoneHendge.....I couldn't access the gas block adjustment from the side on this one either. But it was located right in the middle of where 4 of the M-Lok slots came together. So I taped it off and used micro drill bit to start a pilot hole. Then I drilled it larger to the size of the allen wrench. I had to ream it a bit because I didn't get that angle right on the first shot.

Afterwards some light filing to debur and Alumi-black in the hole and now you can't see it unless you're looking for it. Allen wrench fits directly into the adjustment screw.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jcjarmon
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Nice setup. Look into a bi-pod stub. Will give you a more streamline look, and reduce the thickness of your mount a lot. I use this one, it says its for key-mod, but it works with M-lok too, and its expensive.

Comment

• Bizzo24
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
                Nice setup. Look into a bi-pod stub. Will give you a more streamline look, and reduce the thickness of your mount a lot. I use this one, it says its for key-mod, but it works with M-lok too, and its expensive.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impact-Weapo...YAAOSwKOJYHAaW
                I love the idea.

Does the stud allow the bi-pod to swivel? Mine has the Harris RBA-1 (Rotating quick detach adapter). That's why it's so bulky.
                I don't use the bi-pod all the time so I really like the QD. But if the bi-pod stud you use is simple to detach and permits swivel that would be great.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by Bizzo24 View Post
                  StoneHendge.....I couldn't access the gas block adjustment from the side on this one either. But it was located right in the middle of where 4 of the M-Lok slots came together. So I taped it off and used micro drill bit to start a pilot hole. Then I drilled it larger to the size of the allen wrench. I had to ream it a bit because I didn't get that angle right on the first shot.

Afterwards some light filing to debur and Alumi-black in the hole and now you can't see it unless you're looking for it. Allen wrench fits directly into the adjustment screw.
                  Hmmmm. I learned this weekend that it would be pointless to engage in further load development for my JP unless someone other than Hornady comes out with a 123 with a better G7 than the Scenar (I'm going to order a case of 1000 in the next week or so) or a powder that gets better velocity than CFE 223 (8 lb'er to be purchased next time I get out of my little valley). I have half a box of Hornady Black which gets about the same velocity as my Scenar load so I guess I should check them when I have my handguard off and I find the sweet spot, but its good to know there's a solution!

The Odin M Pod mount for a Harris is pricey, but it does allow it to swivel

Nozzie.jpg

Taking it off is just like taking it off a bolt gun with a swivel stud - only a minute or 2 once you figure it out
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Looking great Bizzo.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

That's one sexy build right there. Man. So jealous haha

Love the mod for the allen key. Cool to see someone actually modify some nice AR parts. Too many people seem afraid to do so. Funny to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X