• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smcdurmon
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Howa Mini Possible Bottom Metal Option

I sent PTG "Pacific Tool and Gauge" an email inquiring about the possibility of them making Bottom Metal for the Howa Mini yesterday and got a reply back today saying it was in the works.

PTG stated "It's in prototype and will be out in the shop being manufactured within the next two months".

I sent another email asking if the new bottom metal will use the Howa Mini Magazines or if they were going to do something special so it would accept the AR-15 Magazines. I will post more info about this when I get a reply back.

Sound like a great option for the Howa Mini's and I can't wait to get one no matter what type of Magazine it uses.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I'm hoping for a BDL type for the mini. Much more sleek.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by smcdurmon View Post
      I sent PTG "Pacific Tool and Gauge" an email inquiring about the possibility of them making Bottom Metal for the Howa Mini yesterday and got a reply back today saying it was in the works.

PTG stated "It's in prototype and will be out in the shop being manufactured within the next two months".

I sent another email asking if the new bottom metal will use the Howa Mini Magazines or if they were going to do something special so it would accept the AR-15 Magazines. I will post more info about this when I get a reply back.

Sound like a great option for the Howa Mini's and I can't wait to get one no matter what type of Magazine it uses.
      Very interesting...

Comment

• smcdurmon
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2015

I would like to see BDL Style also. Guess we will all have to wait and see what they come up with, but it's nice knowing PTG is working on something for the Mini.

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

I too would prefer BDL style.

The world does not need another bolt action rifle that takes AR15 magazines as it is a pointless conversion.

Comment

• smcdurmon
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2015

I still haven't heard back on what Style of Bottom Metal PTG is working on. Fingers Crossed it will be a BDL Style. Guess we will all have to wait and see.

When and if I hear back from them I will definitely post what I find out.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

i do know that there are going to be a few options available that will take the howa mags as well as AICS mags....i do not have a solid eta on any of this at the moment. Also i do know that a standard internal box magazine is in the works but again... no eta.

Comment

• smcdurmon
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2015

Thank you for the update Matt.

Can't wait to see what all options become available. Really look forward to a BDL Style bottom metal.

Comment

• rickt300
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Just how easy do you think it would be to topfeed a BDL style magazine through the narrow opening in the Mini? My fat fingers just would not do it easily, probably why the rifle only has detachable magazines.

Comment

• smcdurmon
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2015

The Magazine sits pretty high in the action as it is, so I would imagine if a BDL style configuration could happen for the Howa Mini it would have to sit pretty high as well so the bolt would pick up the round as it passes by and not just glide over the top.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by smcdurmon View Post

Still no word?

Comment

• smcdurmon
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2015

Nothing that I've heard as of yet. Matt from LSI would have more of the Inside Scoop on them than I would for sure.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

It's pretty strange that Howa couldn't produce it quicker than the aftermarket could. Howa's work for Weatherby and the Webley&Scott brands have bottom metal from the factory.

Comment

• just_john
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2012

They have the CAD used to make the molds for the plastic, can't be that difficult to port it to a CNC system to cut up some metal. It is a shame to let such a great product be hamstrung with cheesy plastic.

Comment

• ThunderStick
                              Unwashed
                              • Sep 2017

Yeah, just like those cheesy Glocks. I sure wouldn't trust a plastic pistol with a plastic magazine to defend my life! No siree, J frame all the way baby,

I saw where someone did a 3 round flush fit magazine, I'll probably go that route myself, but after having 527s for so long even the box isn't that big a deal to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X