• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earl Keese
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Tranquilo owners?

I'm working on my first Grendel AR, and have zero experience with suppressors so please go easy on me ;-)
    Does anybody here have experience with/own a Tranquilo? I've been reading for a few days and I'm still as confused as when I started. I'm waiting on one of the Faxon 20" group buy barrels and the primary purpose will be coyote hunting, with a fair amount of range use as well. I'd like to stay around this price range and it seems this can is designed for the AR specifically. Any opinions would be welcome, but I'm primarily looking for user feedback. Thanks!
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I don't have one and have never shot one but its very heavy from the specs.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      I don't have one and have never shot one but its very heavy from the specs.
      So, the unique selling proposition here is that this suppressor is designed for auto-loaders. I read that in order to reduce the crap spitting back on the shooter (via the breech) it has 'an internal design that allows a percentage of pressure to bypass the main flow-path'? I take it this means an expansion chamber that vents to the front of the can. This would be consistent with a number of holes facing forward? if so, to mitigate face-spit some of the pressure is not being suppressed.

Does anyone have any independent specs on how loud this is?

Comment

• jcjarmon
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

If your planning to sink that kind of money in a rifle, do this. Order you a GOOD Krieger barrel, have it threaded 3/4-24tpi, and get you a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 for 6.5. Its worth it I you ever plan to use this rifle to protect your like.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
          If your planning to sink that kind of money in a rifle, do this. Order you a GOOD Krieger barrel, have it threaded 3/4-24tpi, and get you a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 for 6.5. Its worth it I you ever plan to use this rifle to protect your like.
          That's good to know but can we please stick to the thread topic; the Tranquilo. Have you any experience with it?

Comment

• SDet
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

I have not used this can. That said, in my experience, only 1 testing session with a 5.56 rifle and a 30cal can, an adjustable gas block will make around a 5db difference at the shooters ear.

I'd like to do a long session with a bunch of cans and different buffers and springs, but I haven't had a chance yet.

Comment

• Earl Keese
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Not sure I understand the comment about sinking money into a rifle. The Larue can is priced towards the bottom of the market, yet has some interesting features. I'd love to have an Ultra9, but it's significantly more expensive. If a standard suppressor will allow me to safely shoot(hunt) w/o ear pro, that would be fine too I guess. Considering how long I'll have to wait after purchase, I just want to make a good decision.

Comment

• SDet
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2016

An adjustable gas block with a 7" can will get you hearing safe shooter's ear. But a quieter can will likely allow for even less noise, it will just take more testing.

If you'd like to see a comparison of the whole TBAC line (yes I work there, no I'm not trying to push them, just the only video I know of testing many cans on the grendel) look up Ray Sanchez on YouTube. He also metered just the bolt drop recently, to show how noisy an AR is.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by SDet View Post
                  An adjustable gas block with a 7" can will get you hearing safe shooter's ear. But a quieter can will likely allow for even less noise, it will just take more testing.

If you'd like to see a comparison of the whole TBAC line (yes I work there, no I'm not trying to push them, just the only video I know of testing many cans on the grendel) look up Ray Sanchez on YouTube. He also metered just the bolt drop recently, to show how noisy an AR is.
                  Thanks! I'll check Youtube.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SDet View Post

With respect, I am unconvinced any high-power centre-fire suppressor can be made 'hearing safe'. The point being, unsuppressed sound at the muzzle starts around the 175db mark with a good quality suppressor shaving 30-40db's off that. Your own videos are showing suppressed sound at the shooters ear of 140db. International western Worksafe sound levels for all day sound is down around the 80-85db mark. Above this the recommended time limit for unprotected hearing drops. For example 115db for 30secs only. If we leave the .22L and Blackout type cartridges to one side and concentrate on a normal supersonic like the 65Grendel then we're looking at a suppressed sound at the firing point of 130+db. This will damage your ears if unprotected. Damage of course is a cumulative thing so one or two may not be noticeable compared to a range session where you deliberately shoot strings without ear protection thinking 'I paid a lot of money for this' so I'm going to prove that it works and enjoy the comfort of not wearing ears. It may not be noticeable for another twenty years of doing this.

Also bear in mind that the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. Differences in db above 120db for example represent a wider range of sound pressures than below 120. Suggesting there is a 5db difference between a 6.5 dedicated suppressor (7.6mm aperture) and a 30cal (8.6mm aperture) is only true if the testing was done with the gun in the same position and the sound meter also in the same position, with the same ambient conditions. And the claim will only be technically relevant for that gun using that ammunition. But, we can still shoot with different suppressors at the time, or over time and say with confidence, 'that suppressor is quieter than this one'. That works for me, but you need to be unbiased and have some experience up your sleeve.

It's difficult thing comparing suppressors but I can only imagine this Tranquilo is trading some sound to mitigate the typical auto-loading spit-in-the-face. If it can cool and slow the gas before it exits then that's great but in that small package I have my doubts.
                    Last edited by Klem; 07-31-2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• SDet
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

So, the hearing safe rating that is used in the firearms industry is an osha standard. 85 DB is for 8 hour exposure, and 140 is a hard limit with no exposure over.
                      140 at the shooter's ear is what we define as safe. And other things factor into that. A lot of our videos are indoors or under a roof, it would be quieter out in the open.
                      The rifle is a factor, but mostly action type and barrel length. Weather can play a big role, that's why we'll do any comparison on the same weapon, with the same ammo, within about 10 minutes of each other.

That said, I still wear hearing protection 99% of the time. You can't control what someone else is shooting, a lot of rounds at 135db can still hurt, and it's just really comfortable. Like I said above, ars are loud, no way around it. I too am curious about the tranquilo, but suspect the same as you.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

I already have some tinnitus and hearing loss(occupational). For range use, ear pro is used and will always be used. Currently, I wear electronic muffs as well for hunting. The downside is interference with cheek weld, amplified ambient noise is distracting, and simply put, my dang ears get hot. Maybe the solution for me is lower profile electronic ear pro. Suppressor would be more fun though.

Comment

• Crews
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2017

I took one look at the weight and decided no thanks. I'm sure they're solid cans, and probably rated for a rate of fire that I'll never have a need for. I'm sure their claims on backpressure are accurate as well, but I'm happy with my Thunderbeast and SLR adjustable gas block. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

The Tranquillo has to handle .260 Rem muzzle pressure over volume as well, so I think that has something to do with its construction.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2017

My advice to the OP would be to read up and watch more. There is a wealth of info online. 140 db is the firearm hearing safe threshold everyone uses. No it's not perfect but it's pretty realistic and a nice even number.

Sure, supersonic rifle rounds are not exactly quiet out of a suppressor. But it's far better than without! All things are relative. When it comes to decibels this is really key.

If you really want a truly quiet rifle well below 140db, your best option is a non-autoloading gun chambered in a caliber with effective subsonic ammo available. That's the only way to get in the low 130s, or lower. Of course, ballistics are not like supersonic loads. That's the catch.

Good luck. Enjoy your new addiction haha

Comment

Working...
                              X