• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARLegolover
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

New from Kalifornia

So any body here from NorCal ?
    Looking into getting a complete upper in 6.5 for Blacktails, Muleys, 1/2 breeds and was wondering if any one hunts with this caliber, if so what length, round etc.
    As most know the terrain is rough and usually thick (4-7000 ft.) And offers shots from 50- 200yds. Mostly track'n' stalk so weight is an issue and I have a great lower (DSArms, with a RockRiver 2 stage) that currently sports a Fulton Armory heavy match .223 that I want to swap out with so it can be my bench/field platform.
    Have gotten some good input on the newbie forum but still reaching out. I reload for my bolt guns and will be for this as well.
    DS Arms seems to offer some as well but with all that are on the bandwagon personal experience counts to me. Price range 5-600$,
    Maybe more. Any / all input appreciated,
    Regards and Thanks !
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I couldn't be any further from you here in Maine! Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you already have a great starting point with that lower. You will be very pleased with your Grendel. Let us know when you have receive it. I don't know a lot about DS arms, but they have been brought up a lot on the forums.

Comment

• ARLegolover
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Well Kilco at the time we are closer than you think...on Nantucket but bugging out Sunday ! Thanks for the welcome and will do on the update ! (P.S. picked up a couple of "chicken lobsta's, making rolls tomorrow)

Comment

• s3silver
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Greetings ARL. I'm from norcal. I mainly hunt with the 6.5 G. My personal setup has a 22" shilen barrel. Scoped, it weighs about 12 lbs. Mine has the dpms look with a2 stock so it's pretty heavy. The wifey's is pretty nice. With a 16" ar stoner barrel and nikon prostaff it only weighs about 7 lbs. Just put one together for my son; almost same setup as the wifey's, but with a 16" bhw from precision firearms. Scoped it weighs roughly 7 lbs also. They all shoot the same load with 123 eld and 100 ttsx less than moa.

I'd be glad to answer any questions. Good luck on the upper.

Comment

• newb
          Warrior
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by ARLegolover View Post
          So any body here from NorCal ?
          Where I'm at we consider ya'll to be central people's republic of CA.

You have to get north of Sacramento before we call it northern CA.... haha.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
            Warrior
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by newb View Post
            Where I'm at we consider ya'll to be central people's republic of CA.

You have to get north of Sacramento before we call it northern CA.... haha.

Welcome aboard.
            Ya but, everyone seems to consider Cali above the grapevine to be NorCal.
            Another LA centric view that's become commonplace.

Hell I say I'm from Fresno and people say it's NorCal. Idiots.

Welcome OP!

Comment

• s3silver
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
              Ya but, everyone seems to consider Cali above the grapevine to be NorCal.
              Another LA centric view that's become commonplace.

Hell I say I'm from Fresno and people say it's NorCal. Idiots.

Welcome OP!

Haha..Fresno is as central as you can get!

Comment

• ARLegolover
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2017

Thanks for the Humor ! Let me just say "Bay Area" and no real pride about that !(good money though...) so as far as the build goes..how about inbut on barrel length,twist when "non lead" gets crammed down our throats? Already enforced in Santa Clara County, but do my local with a bow. Cant find any info on testing,performance,etc

Comment

• newb
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by ARLegolover View Post
                  Thanks for the Humor ! Let me just say "Bay Area" and no real pride about that !(good money though...) so as far as the build goes..how about inbut on barrel length,twist when "non lead" gets crammed down our throats? Already enforced in Santa Clara County, but do my local with a bow. Cant find any info on testing,performance,etc
                  I grew up 1/2 my younger life in SJ, on the east side, where it wasn't cool to be anybody, especially a redheaded white boy. Last time I drove through my old hood, there were 4 people killed on the block that week. Glad I'm far away from that mess and rat race.

There are some good books for reloading and other info.

Hunting, IMO, use a shorter and lighter barrel; like a 16" or so. The steep terrain and hikes in the elevations you list, it's preferable to not have a heavy rifle.

One of these days I will get another upper in a 16", maybe up to 18", and built lite weight. My present one is 22", 1:8, medium contour, but entire gun weighs around 12 lbs. Mostly I target shoot with it, but have thumped coyotes. I have not reloaded for it yet. 123 gr Hornady Amax is my go-to. Recently picked up American Eagle 90 gr and they don't seem to be too bad. At 100 yds they grouped about 1 MOA to the right and maybe 1/4 - 1/2 MOA higher than the Amax through my rifle. (individual results may vary).

I would not hesitate to take a mule deer with the Amax or SST even out to 300 yds. Check the "Grendel knockdown survey" for more ideas.

Comment

• s3silver
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

A 1-8 twist will work for all barrel lengths and for all projectiles up to the 140 class, maybe even more with a long barrel. That's what I have in all the rifles mentioned in my previous post.

Performance is excellent. Between my wife and I we've shot 1 nice 2x2 at about 50 yards with a 123 sst. He was broadside. Hit him in the shoulder ball socket joint. The impact joint was mush and there wasn't much joint left on the other side. He ran about 30 yards and piled over. We got too other nice 2x2's with the 123 amax. One was facing towards us at about 80 yards. Hit him right in the chest. He went about 5 ft. The other was broadside at about 40 yards. This one dropped in his tracks.

Since switching over to the 100 ttsx we've shot a few bucks, biggest being a nice 3x3 at about 100 yards. A few 200-300 lb bears. All have not gone more than 50 yards. Complete pass throughs.

All rounds were handloaded. Remember, shot placement is the most effective thing you can do to take game down fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X