X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I like doing color fills. Adds an extra touch of attention-to-detail.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cb4017
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Well, after reading LRRP's review in another forum, and in a weak moment fueled by a couple brews, I ordered the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit. I can assemble an upper but decided to let LaRue do that for me.

I think I'll be selling my PF barrel.
      Cliff
      USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• Burt Macklin
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2017

I've never been so happy to see the UPS guy. My LaRue Ultimate upper finally arrived.

Some posts indicate fit issues, but I'm not experiencing that at all. It is a tight fit on this lower, but not unreasonably so and it has no gaps. Even with the good fit, I really want a LaRue lower for this upper.

IMG_20170818_172918.jpg IMG_20170818_172720.jpgIMG_20170818_172339.jpgIMG_20170818_172809.jpg

Comment

• shooter545
          Warrior
          • Aug 2012

I got back off a work trip and mine was at the house. Today it goes together today!!!

More to follow!

Comment

• DJL2
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

I bought two...one in 5.56, one in 6.5. The 5.56mm hasn't shipped and I think I might cancel it...I actually bought that first because I was looking to shoot at range with an SPR-ish rifle that doesn't incur some of the draw backs my Remington 700 does in terms of ammo (7mm Rem Mag) cost. Never mind the box of VLD bullets sitting around...

Of course, then I realized that the cost of match ammo between 6.5G and 5.56 is pretty minimal and the former is vastly better for the task at hand...which is a great example of why we do research BEFORE we buy things...even if the LaRue kit IS a smoking deal. My DDM4V1 managed to produce 1-2 MOA groups from my shooting bad this past weekend using an Aimpoint PRO...I'm thinking I can just soldier on with that. Especially in light of the fact that I'll be spending money on AR-15 receivers that I hadn't intended too originally.

My LaRue 6.5G kit arrived - plain black, nice stuff. Sadly, it does not fit my DD lower. The lugs on the LaRue upper mic at .500 and .501 - the rear of my DD lower receiver mics at .490. I hadn't considered this ahead of time, so now I have a very nice upper I cannot shoot. I tested fired 10 rounds through it when my folks were in town (celebrating the birth of my second) - my Dad brought our LLC's SBR with it, built on a Aero receiver set, and that functioned without issue (and the fit was nice and tight, too). My search for a lower receiver has yielded the following not yet mentioned in this thread:

SMOS - Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply: one time supplier of none other than LaRue tactical with billet lowers.
            Rainier Arms - not merely a purveyor of goods, but a producer as well - similar to the Seekins Precision offering, from what I can tell.
            Tactical Innovations - slightly less expensive, but don't see an ambi option here.
            CMT Tactical - I think these were mentioned. However, worth noting you can get them "plain Jane" as well as custom Laser engraved.

I haven't checked out Sun Devil yet. I've no beef with Mega or Seekins...just thought I would throw some additional options out there for the curious.

Comment

• DJL2
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Speaking to the actual LaRue kit, a few notes...

Initial impression -
              I am a cheap SOB at times...so, I am waiting on buying a lower receiver. I tested the upper for function initially with an Aero Precision receiver. A lot of this is basic LaRue-ness, so if you're already familiar with their kit, you can just skip this bit. The LaRue upper is a tight fit internally as well as to the Aero lower. LaRue includes their combo tool for the barrel nut and brake, which is nice. The low profile gas block uses three screws - I suppose one may opt to apply loctite to the interface between the gas block and the barrel as well. The gas block and the gas tube come assembled and the barrel/upper receiver feature an index that makes alignment fairly straightforward. The hand guard is secured simply through four (4) T-15 torx bolts that use the upper receiver itself as the "nut." Fit, mount and alignment are completely independent from the barrel and barrel nut. However, virtually any multi-bit driver, traditionally gripped tool or t-handle tool is going to be a pain...just a plain old torx "key" is the best option here. The hand guard is svelte, very thin and handy...so much so, that adding some KeyMod panels or rail sections to the outside to won't wreck your form factor and leave you with a massive RAS-esque monstrosity. All in all, getting the upper ready to shoot is easy with but one exception.

This is a minor nit pick, but LaRue doesn't include an "idiot's guide" with their comp (like Surefire) - I completely blanked out on shim thickness color codes. I had one blue, one green, two black, two red, one purple and one unmarked - and if I had any idea on their thickness or a reference, it would have made my life much easier. Surefire not only provides a reference for shim thickness with the flash hiders/comps, but also a helpful guide that suggests shim combinations based on how your device times when "naked." As it is, I think I am a couple degrees off and it is driving my nuts...so, at some point, my micrometer and I are going to measure all the shims and nail the timing through the power of mathematics...then fix this. If you do this all the time an know shim thickness and timing in your sleep, this is a non-issue. Now I'm curious to see if that Surefire guide is on-line...

I am hesitant to purchase a lower for this setup in hopes that LaRue might run a subsequent special on lowers for their Stealth uppers. (ETA: I AM going to do so now because otherwise I cannot shoot this thing!) The upper wears a Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50mm - which, frankly, looks comical. I opted, partly on a whim, for the 10 MOA, QD Cantilever mount (754, I think). I am a mostly unreformed "nose to charging handle" shooter, but this mount should have enough flexibility to accommodate a change in my technique (it currently rides all the way forward on the upper receiver, with the scope as far forward as possible in the mount). Initial ammo available for evaluation is WPA, ELD-M and SST (the former at 100 gn, both the latter at 123 gn). One interesting discrepancy - LaRue specifies 30 in-lb for their mount, Vortex specifies 18 in-lb for their optic. On the bright side, being an AR-15, it's still plenty handy even with a 2lb hunk of glass on top of it. At some point, this "rifle" will get KeyMod rail covers and a liberal application of Aervoe.
              Last edited by DJL2; 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Im really hoping LaRue offers a color matched lower for purchase in the future as I know that nothing I buy will match in color and so far every receiver I have tried from my own collection and friends collections just dont look quite right. Most lock up nice and tight but the lines just dont look good. The problem is there are alot of people who bought the complete rifles that will be very upset if LaRue offers a separate lower allowing guys like me to own the complete rifle for less than they purchased it for. Several people on the LaRue owners thread in another forum have stated as much.

Comment

• carlhwv
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2017

I'd be pretty surprised if lower are offered by LaRue any time soon. It undermines their premium rifle business. Get something decent and shoot it.
                  Carl
                  NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                  Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                  Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I checked and the LaRue upper off my Stealth fits on my Sharps Bros Hellbreaker billet lower just fine.

Would look pretty sick color-matches and accented with the teeth and everything.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DJL2
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

I ordered mine in black...it'll all color match after a couple coats of Aervoe.

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Oh I already am, just hoping a lower comes out in the future to match. Functions just fine on anything else for now

Comment

• carlhwv
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2017

ML just posted in a thread related to his large frame upper offer that at some point he will be offering lowers to buyer of his uppers....just didn't commit to when....

I keep asking the question, and I'm not getting an answer, which I usually take as and answer in itself, but I thought I'd ask here....

I compared my FDE upper to my FDE Costa and my FDE Heavy barrel tAR. The coating doesn't seem the same....on the Ultimate upper it looks more like paint, rather than the Guncote I know is on the Costa and what I'm assuming in Cerakote on the tAR.

It was suggested I just oil it up and the color would come in, but I wondering if it is going to have the same wear resistance as the ceramic in the other coating. Does anyone else with an FDE Upper kit have an observation?
                          Last edited by carlhwv; 08-24-2017, 10:31 PM.
                          Carl
                          Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• DJL2
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

All you guys fretting color matching and wear are the best argument I've seen to just rattle can it ;-) Or, you know, order it in black to save cash and then send the entire package for refinishing.

Comment

• carlhwv
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

That is a great plan. It's about $200 for a top notch job in one color and you will know exactly what product is being used rather than having to guess. For me, it's not the color but the toughness and being a fan of Cerakote I'm looking forward to their latest coating.
                              Carl

Comment

• DJL2
                                Bloodstained
                                • Aug 2017

Finally got mine to the range...made a somewhat tongue in cheek thread chronicling, in very long winded fashion, all the work that went into firing six shots and one decent group (hey, batting .500!) at 100 meters. Heh. I really need to get out again though...got chronometer data to record, adjustments to make, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X