• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Choice bwtn two scopes

I'll start off knowing I likely should just fork out for something else. Have two Nikon's, an older 3-9 Monarch and a newer 2-7 Prostaff, neither with anything special going on in the recital and sport plain cross hairs. Of the two, which would you pick considering most my shots are likely closer than farther and usually within a couple hundred yards. The rifle is a Grendel, 16" and prefer to keep the weight down, though I suspect both of the above likely tip the scales at similar weights.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Given the monarch should have a bit better glass I would go that route unless the weight difference was significant.

I presently run a pro staff on one Grendel and had a monarch in the past. I have no issue with either model.

For short range hunting I prefer a simple duplex reticle
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Weight is about the same, although the length of the monarch is about an 1.5" longer. Clarity goes to monarch by a nudge, I suspect japan glass but assembled in philippines as this is an older 3-9 scope, the 2-7 is also a philippines. Size wise the 2-7 appeals to me more on the 16" upper. I think I just need to get a 20" barrel for my spare stripped upper and it would settle my debate.

Comment

• maxxmojo
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

I'd probably go with the Prostaff. A bit smaller makes it handier, and I'd prefer the 2x lower end over the 3x, it should give you a bit more field of view if you need to make a quick shot.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I like the way a 2-7 fits a 16" AR, but if I were you I would quickly mount each one and see what fit and feel you prefer. Depending on how much newer the pro-staff is than the monarch, the glass quality could be a toss-up.

Both are very good scopes, and will serve you just fine as a 200 yard hunting scope. I'd also compare low light transmission, as that is very important as a hunting scope.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Thank you for you opinions, 2-7 is just a couple of years old unlike the monarch which is likely 10yro maybe a bit older as I just don't remember. I mounted up the 2-7 for now as Kilco mentioned it seems to fit better with my intentions as stalking type of rifle which is typical for me in my location. Longer shots are available but generally it's out to 200 to 300 max at best and it would seem since the table fare is generally moving it will help closer up on the hogs.

Comment

Working...
            X