• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bullschmidt
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Hello from MO!

Hey guys! Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 6.5 build.

A little background - I live in St. Louis, and have about 100 acres in southern MO where I do a lot of shooting and some whitetail hunting. I've had an itch to build a longer range AR. Ive had Ruger AR556 for about a year, but I wanted something I could shoot farther with, and also use for hunting (5.56 is legal here in MO, but I don't feel comfortable hunting with it).

So I originally was just going to get an upper to put on my Ruger, but I figured I might as well just build a lower so I could have two full rifles. I ordered a 20" BCA complete upper, and am currently building my first lower on a stripped aero precision. Got the shipping notice from BCA Friday morning, but UPS still hasn't updated status. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of this week!

One thing I think that I may have goofed on is that I ordered a carbine buffer kit. Will this be okay on a 20" rifle length upper?

Also - I've been looking at Vortex optics as I've heard great things, but I stumbled across a company called Athlon and from what I can tell from reviews, they seem to be a pretty convincing alternative. I'm looking at the Argos BTR 6-24X50. Anyone have any experience with Athlon?

Looking forward to getting everything put together and sending some 6.5G down range! I'll post a thread once I get everything together and shoot it for the first time.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Hello sir and welcome!

Ironic, because your situation is eerie similar to mine. I had a Ruger AR556 sitting around and I wanted originally to just replace the barrel and bolt with a Grendel setup..

Then I decided to just build a Grendel upper and swap the uppers with the same lower..

Recently I decided they both deserve to be their own complete rifles, so I built a Stag Lower for the Grendel and put the Ruger lower back to its original configuration..lol.. feels better having two complete rifles!

Comment

• Wafavre2
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Hello Bull,
      Welcome! I have a 20" w/ RLGT on a carbine buffer and a SLR adjustable gas block and with just a few clicks it feeds and ejects just fine.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan! A partial AR is a sad looking, very lonely piece of steel. However, if you put two of 'em in a small room and leave 'em alone for a while then suddenly there are a whole bunch of 'em!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Bullschmidt! The length of the buffer tube determines the type of buffer and buffer spring required. Rifle length buffer tube as used in A-1 or A-2 type stock use rifle buffer and rifle spring. If you are using a carbine buffer tube use a carbine length spring and buffer. I use a carbine buffer tube with my 20" Shilen 6.5 Grendel with an adjustable gas block. I'm using a carbine buffer spring and standard carbine buffer with my setup. The only reason you might need an adjustable gas block on a 20" 6.5 Grendel is if you plan on using a suppressor. I'd try a carbine buffer spring and supplied buffer first. If the gun is over gassed you could try a Spike's T-2 or H-2 buffer which are heavier.

Good luck with your BCA 20" 6.5 Grendel, pictures and range reports are always welcome on this forum.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bullschmidt View Post
            Hey guys! Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 6.5 build.

A little background - I live in St. Louis, and have about 100 acres in southern MO where I do a lot of shooting and some whitetail hunting. I've had an itch to build a longer range AR. Ive had Ruger AR556 for about a year, but I wanted something I could shoot farther with, and also use for hunting (5.56 is legal here in MO, but I don't feel comfortable hunting with it).

So I originally was just going to get an upper to put on my Ruger, but I figured I might as well just build a lower so I could have two full rifles. I ordered a 20" BCA complete upper, and am currently building my first lower on a stripped aero precision. Got the shipping notice from BCA Friday morning, but UPS still hasn't updated status. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of this week!

One thing I think that I may have goofed on is that I ordered a carbine buffer kit. Will this be okay on a 20" rifle length upper?

Also - I've been looking at Vortex optics as I've heard great things, but I stumbled across a company called Athlon and from what I can tell from reviews, they seem to be a pretty convincing alternative. I'm looking at the Argos BTR 6-24X50. Anyone have any experience with Athlon?

Looking forward to getting everything put together and sending some 6.5G down range! I'll post a thread once I get everything together and shoot it for the first time.
            Welcome. Nothing wrong with a carbine RET and pretty much any barrel length you want.

There was a recent and very thorough review of one of the Athlon scopes. Short story: They don't track, can't pass a box test to save their lives. The features seem to be designed to lure people in combined with the price point, but the internals are garbage. Gears slip, don't adjust when turned, backlash, like most other low ball scopes from China. No surprise at the price point. Better to pile up $300 in a coffee can in the winter, strike a match to the paper, and warm your hands up some.

Or you could put that money towards a good scope mount and get a proven scope that won't crap out on you. Those of us who have seen the low budget scopes like that come and go over the years, who see people with them show up to courses, already know what the results will be based on the ingredients that get thrown into the oven. There are no shortcuts for quality brass alloys for scope gears, lenses, tubes, turrets, optical engineering, and mechanical engineering.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bullschmidt
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

Well, I ended up going with a Vortex HS-T 4-16X44. And i got it all put together today!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Looks like a great rifle let us know how it shoots!

Comment

Working...
                X