• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spitfiremac
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2015

Two-year Grendel owner, first-time Grendel poster

Hi Horde,

Name's Mark. I did about a decade in military intelligence before settling into the quieter life of Austin, Texas where I built my first personally-owned AR-15 in what else... but 6.5 Grendel.

Love it, love it, love it.

It's a SS 16" Bull as I wanted a "do-everything-at-any-reasonable-range" rifle from CQB fantasies to 600-800m+ on lucky days in the Texas sun. It's also a 1:9 twist because that was what was available back in the day, but I plan on buying a 16"-18" 1:8 SS Bull barrel to replace it with when this one wears down.

This is the first time I'm posting because I have the hankering for another upper, you know to maximize the versatility of the platform, and I'm wondering what caliber or setup to get to supplement what is already the best all-rounder caliber of the bunch. I'm thinking something I can get short and permanently attach a suppressor to because I don't want to SBR this custom lower.

300 AAC 10" + Perm Sup ?
    458 Socom 12" + Perm Sup?
    223 Wylde 12" + Perm Sup?
    223 Wylde 16"?

I want it to be unique and fill a niche that the Grendel doesn't, because why else build another? That has me leading to a integrally suppressed 458. 7.62x39 would be a consideration if reliability wasn't in question, but if I were going to that, I'd probably just brace up a AK pistol... (this instead?) I don't reload, although I see that in the distant future.

I'm all ears. Also, if this isn't the correct place to post this question about other complimentary calibers then please let me know. I figure that since we're all very aware of the Grendel's capabilities, then the hive mind would be the best place to go.

Best Regards,

Mark
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Welcome to the board!

I see no need for a different caliber. I presently have four Grendels, 2-16" and 2-20" with number five to be a 12.5" Faxon if they ever finish them. I'm more interested in simplifying my inventory than adding more to it.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Troutguide
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I'd go 300 and shoot subsonic. That would be only need for anything other than the Grendel. Good factory ammo too.
      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!

If your looking to build a thumper, don't count the 50 Beowulf out!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum spitfiremac! Tough to recommend something for someone else because I'm biased. For a compact rifle I really like my Tavor in 5.56 but think it would be terrific in 6.5 Grendel. Lump me into the bunch with mltuple 6.5 Grendel AR-15's. I have two 16" 6.5 Grendel AR's one with 1:9 carbine gas the other 1:8 mid length gas group buy Faxon. I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel 1:9 twist Shilen but have been very tempted to get the 20" Faxon group buy.

I think a 12"-14.5" 6.5 Grendel with suppressor would be a dandy but I can't own a suppressor in the Land of Lincoln.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

They are all good - that's why I have a 16" carbine in each .

I find 300 BLK and 458 socom only make sense if you reload. My 223 gets shot the most (quality factory ammo is back under 30 cents), 300 second and 458 the least. The 458 is of course the most fun but you can only shoot so many rounds in a session. It's also fun explaining why you cleared the shelf of gallon jugs of chocolate milk when it goes on sale for ten cents....

image.jpeg
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Would love to see the chocolate milk blasted on video.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Welcome aboard. Would love to see the chocolate milk blasted on video.
                So would I. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that if I'm going to hand my iPhone to an android guy wearing polarized sunglasses on a sunny day, I should do it at the beginning of the blasting session, not the end. I ended up with great footage of the ground before and after the 5 jug finale.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                X