NRA Mid Range (Prone) Tactical Rifle (AR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soloelcap
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

NRA Mid Range (Prone) Tactical Rifle (AR)

Anyone shooting this new High Power Comp with the 6.5 Grendel. I'm building an upper in 6.5 for this match, I shoot it now with a 223 and know the 6.5's will shoot through conditions better. New to the forum but have been following the site for many years. Rules are section 23 in the NRA High Power Rule Book.
    NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Solo,
    I do. I built my Grendel specifically for this type of match.

Initially I was not interested in the Grendel when it was first brought to my attn. I am an F-class competitor and the capabilities of the Grendel I deemed not ideal for that type of competition.

Enter AR-Tact and the Grendel looked appealing all of a sudden, mainly the 6.5mm ballistics. And I did not want to shoot a 223 and the Gr gave me a good reason to try it out.

My rifle is a Satern barreled 18in. I put it together with whatever parts I could get at the time I wanted them. Was not interested in waiting for custom parts, as this would be an experiment.

All I have to say is, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of this round. I have almost 1k rounds down the tube and no malfs whatever. It has turned out to be a good hunting round also, as I took 2 deer with it last season, and it will be the default hunting rifle going forward.

I like the ergos of this cartridge so much, that I am going to build a 6mm variant just for the hell of it to see how it does.

Feel free to ask any questions,I will try my best to answer.

SY

Comment

• soloelcap
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

SY,
      Doesn't seem like others in the hoard are building the 6.5 for this type of match based on the number of view and no replies.

My project went astray as the best laid plans often do. The 6.5 Grendel barrel I bought had issues that I discovered after building and shooting a few rounds down range, the muzzle threads were off and I couldn't screw on a flash hider or thread protector. Sent it back for exchange (not another 6.5). So I lost some time and match season is coming to a close.

In the meantime I bought a 6mm Predator barrel from ARP (mainly because many on this forum love to bash H). Working up loads with Seirra 95 TMK, Varget and CFE it shoots sub MOA all day. I'm going to shoot a couple practice relays at 600 this weekend to see how it does.

I probably won't even bother with the 6.5 Grendel as my tool for the job in the Ar Prone Match, the 6mm is looking good.

Rl
      NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior
        • Apr 2016

Solo,
        Bummer that you did not get the Grendel up and running. I am also looking at that 6mm predator combo, and might get to it one of these days.

You said your project went astray, I went the other way. An AR10 complete upper/lower fell into my lap, and because I did not want another .308, ended up getting into 6.5 Creedmoor.

If the Grendel was really good at AR tact, then the guys at my club are really going to hate the 6.5C. The one I put together shoots just as good as my Grendel except with more oompf.

That oompf is prob why I won't use it much in competition, way more powder consumption than the Grendel.

Let us know how your 6mm Predator does, am really interested.

SY

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
          SY,
          Doesn't seem like others in the hoard are building the 6.5 for this type of match based on the number of view and no replies.

My project went astray as the best laid plans often do. The 6.5 Grendel barrel I bought had issues that I discovered after building and shooting a few rounds down range, the muzzle threads were off and I couldn't screw on a flash hider or thread protector. Sent it back for exchange (not another 6.5). So I lost some time and match season is coming to a close.

In the meantime I bought a 6mm Predator barrel from ARP (mainly because many on this forum love to bash H). Working up loads with Seirra 95 TMK, Varget and CFE it shoots sub MOA all day. I'm going to shoot a couple practice relays at 600 this weekend to see how it does.

I probably won't even bother with the 6.5 Grendel as my tool for the job in the Ar Prone Match, the 6mm is looking good.

Rl
          Nobody loves to bash anybody. The guy made personal threats to us.

I'm going to consult with site admin and recommend that we no longer allow mentioning of his company or products if I see this kind of crap popping up again, especially when I see so many low post count members mentioning his stuff. He has openly asked people to go on other forums and mention his products with promises of rewards, which has resulted in people getting banned for violating CoC that didn't even know about his solicitation.

We don't have any room for that kind of childish behavior here.
          Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X