• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4570govt
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Scope suggestion for my Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel

Hello, I have a new to me 6.5 Grendel in the fine Howa Mini action. The rifle came with three magazines, a 20 MOA EGW rail and a Redfield Revenge scope. Rifle looked to be new, at least hardly fired at all.

My first groups after zero indicate fine accuracy. Shot one .75 inch group at 100 and slinged up, prone firing position at that! Most hovered around one inch. I then backed off to 200 and fired, the group was exactly two MOA. Ammo is the Hornady 123 grain SST.

I'll use the rifle mainly for target shooting, though I will probably shoot some deer with it this fall! I'm a volunteer with Project Appleseed and in this program we promote the use of the military sling and shooting in positions, same as service rifle in NRA High Power, which I also use to compete in. I believe this rifle will be great for some of the Known Distance shoots that we hold periodically through the year and the fast changing detachable magazine is a big plus!

Anyhow, I want to change the scope for something more suitable. Shooting will be from 100 to 600 yards, ease of elevation and windage changes is a big plus, so must have target turrets.

Any suggestions on a decent scope for this rifle? I've been leaning toward the Nikons. I have a nice VX II Leupold 6x18, but it just would look too ungainly on this neat little rifle!
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

I have 3x9 Redfield Tac on my Howa which is pretty good but at 500 yds. I cannot pick a tiny spot to aim at clearly so I ordered a VortexHST 4x16x44 to try.I think this scope will be better for me.It will be a couple of weeks before I recieve it.

Comment

• 4570govt
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
      I have 3x9 Redfield Tac on my Howa which is pretty good but at 500 yds. I cannot pick a tiny spot to aim at clearly so I ordered a VortexHST 4x16x44 to try.I think this scope will be better for me.It will be a couple of weeks before I recieve it.
      That Redfield TAC just might be what I need, I have one on two different AR's, good scopes!

Comment

• 4570govt
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Since I had the Leupold here, I just went ahead and mounted it, then sighted in. I was on paper at 35, then moved to 100, then to 200. I'll probably justhang with the Leupold for a while!
        sa1JSi5.jpg
        B4RFpyx.jpg
        1yCwQ4k.jpg
        pkvpHUD.jpg
        All the groups were only three round groups, I was running low on ammo! All shooting in the prone position with sling. I'm sure, if using a bipod or other rest, the rounds would have all been in sub MOA groups. I am quite pleased with this rifle, but I will have to buy extended rings or mount, to give me a little more eye relief!
        Last edited by 4570govt; 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• 4570govt
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

The last group shone is 200 yards, prone with sling.I'm looking forward to shooting in a KD event with it!

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

+3 for the Redfield Revolution TAC. Damn great American made scope for under $300.

Before I ramble on about scopes, what is your budget?

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I went with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD SFP I had, which is a great little target scope with good glass and a lot of features, tracks well, zero stop, etc.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 4570govt
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                +3 for the Redfield Revolution TAC. Damn great American made scope for under $300.

Before I ramble on about scopes, what is your budget?
                I would go up to $500.00, but looks like the Leupold will be fine, thanks!

Comment

• 4570govt
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  I went with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD SFP I had, which is a great little target scope with good glass and a lot of features, tracks well, zero stop, etc.

Thanks for the picture, I'll check into it! I'm sure it works well and looks good on the rifle too!

Comment

• todd458
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

I am having a rifle being built now . It Will have a 20 inch Bartlein barrel. Looking for the lightest scope possible, price is not a concern. Will be used for target and hunting. Barrel will be medium/heavy contour at 20 inches . I'm trying to find some weight savings. I'm thinking no more than 18 power, I guess a little less if I can get that perfect scope at a very good weight? I was told to forget about the Germans as they are inherently heavy? The rifle is going to be expensive and I do not want to skimp on the scope,but I am trying to keep it to a weight that I can walk and stalk at least a mile or two. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm somewhat new to the AR platform, and all my scopes were purchased in the 80s and early 90s. Wow! How these optics have changed Thanks in advance ps hope I'm not hijacking this thread

Comment

• xlcc
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

That is a nice setup you have!I wanted to go the same way but found a 4x16 HST for a hundred bucks cheaper and decided to give it a try.That scope I ordered cost me $755 which is a lot for me to shell out.I figured the the $100 I saved on the PST 2 1/2x10 will go into bullets.I hope I like my choice...

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

Well.. to save on weight, stay away from the 30mm scopes bodies, keep with 1 inch scopes. Stay away from anything that says "tactical". Next, the smaller the front scope lense is the less it will weigh. Since $ are not a consideration good glass will more then make up for the brightness loss associated with smaller bells. And remember that the lower you can get the scope to the barrel the easier the rifle will be to carry, shoulder and shoot. Batteries, scope mounts, rings, lense covers, slings and bipods all add ounces .
                        Maybe a 2-7 scope with QD rings for hunting, and the change to your giant target scope for the bench would be better?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          Well.. to save on weight, stay away from the 30mm scopes bodies, keep with 1 inch scopes. Stay away from anything that says "tactical". Next, the smaller the front scope lense is the less it will weigh. Since $ are not a consideration good glass will more then make up for the brightness loss associated with smaller bells. And remember that the lower you can get the scope to the barrel the easier the rifle will be to carry, shoulder and shoot. Batteries, scope mounts, rings, lense covers, slings and bipods all add ounces .
                          Maybe a 2-7 scope with QD rings for hunting, and the change to your giant target scope for the bench would be better?
                          Yes, for a little hunter set-up, a 2-7x or even a 1-4/1-5/1-6/1-8/1.5-6x/1.5-8 make a lot of sense.

To be honest, as configured with the bipod and 2.5-10x44 PST on mine, it's still a super handy little rifle and balances out very well.

I wish I had a range in my backyard to shoot from.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ripcord
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2016

I use a Redfield Pro-Staff 4 - 12 X on my Howa mini.

Comment

• 4570govt
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

I wish I had a range in my backyard to shoot from.
                              Living on my small farm is great for shooting, I can shoot up to 350 yards here. I shoot something almost everyday since I'm retired now. Target today was the six inch bullseye SR21 (reduced for 600 yards) High Power target at 200 yards. All shooting, slinged up, prone firing position, kept them all in the black with the last group all in the 10 ring, I am well pleased with this little jewel!

Comment

Working...
                              X