• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todd458
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Lighter high end optic

I am having a rifle being built now . It Will have a 20 inch Bartlein barrel. Looking for the lightest scope possible, price is not a concern. Will be used for target and hunting. Barrel will be medium/heavy contour at 20 inches . I'm trying to find some weight savings. I'm thinking no more than 18 power, I guess a little less if I can get that perfect scope at a very good weight? I was told to forget about the Germans as they are inherently heavy? The rifle is going to be expensive and I do not want to skimp on the scope,but I am trying to keep it to a weight that I can walk and stalk at least a mile or two. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm somewhat new to the AR platform, and all my scopes were purchased in the 80s and early 90s. Wow! How these optics have changed Thanks in advance
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I know you said money wasn't an object, but can you give a budget range you would like to stay with? That will help narrow things down... otherwise my post will be a darn book lol

Is illumination something you require?

What kind of reticles do you prefer?

Moa or mrad?

Is this a primary hunting rig with some long range plinking on the side? Or a long range plinker that you can also hunt with on the side? 50/50 do all?

What kind of hunting do you plan on doing? Varmints, where high magnification and a small reticle/SFP would be ideal?
    Or large game where most shots present themselves at low light, where a highly visible reticle, field of view, and low light transmission are priority?
    Last edited by Kilco; 08-05-2017, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• todd458
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

I have a Mark 8 TMR 1.1x8 retical now illuminated on a 223 . Have I used it illuminated? No. I have hunted with it many times, and I just haven't turned it on. That's not to say that I wouldn't want the option. I have the option of shooting deer within 40 yards but at the same time I'm offered a 600 plus yard(not saying I would take it)shots on coyotes Whitetail deer and Javelina . Would I spent 10,000 on a scope? No. But I'd be willing to spend 3000. I guess I could just go from company to company and look at the different weights, just looking for a little assistance. I would like a retical that would be good for hunting and good for target work. Target shooting is something I'm just getting into to. I understand that what's good for hunting isn't necessarily good for Percision target. I thought I would like the fire dot duplex on the VX 6-HD, but being told it would cover up a lot of the target from a bench rest shooting standpoint . From what I'm hearing, the retical on my mark 8 is pretty good for both, it's just that my eyes are not that good and I struggle with the crosshairs . As long as I have readers on it's not an issue. I've shot deer out to 160 yards and I shoot fine at paper with it. I'm just open to new ideas, maybe something I haven't seen. I just qualified at a 300 yard range which is 5 shots within a 6 inch bull's-eye to move on to the 600 mark. 300 is the longest I've shot to date though . Realistically I guess I'm just saying can I get up to possibly 18 Max magnification in a light tube? Hope I've given enough information . But will provide anything I can

Comment

• acourvil
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

Swarovski and March make high quality scopes that are lighter than many of their competitors. IIRC, Swarovski has a 4.5-18 scope that is around 18 or 19 ounces. And I think March has 3-24 scope that is around 25oz. The March scope works well for both hunting and long range target. But with scopes, what works for you depends a lot on what you use it for and on personal preferences.

Comment

• D.Davis
          Warrior
          • Sep 2013

I have mounted Leupolds # 58450 @ 6.5oz and # 114400 @ 8.5oz on lightweight hunting rifles. 1" tube, duplex with covered turrets. Dave.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

If price is not an issue then I would choose March (made by Deon in Japan).

They have two second focal plane tactical options with a 10* zoom ratio that suit an AR in 6.5GR ;
            2-25*42, at 21oz
            2-25*52, at 25oz

The difference is only 4oz so you may as well go for the better twilight performer, the 52mm.

The 2.5-24* are the first focal plane versions (8X zoom ratio) which unless you (honestly) need to judge distance at every magnification you probably don't need and would prefer the slightly wider 10X zoom ration of the 2-25* SFP. Both FFP and SFP are suitable for short and long ranges.

Kelbly's is the retailer for March in the States however the Australian website is better for photos and information.

Comment

• todd458
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

Thanks

Comment

• acourvil
                Warrior
                • Dec 2013

I think bullets.com took over as the main US distributor for March.

Also, some folks have complained about the eye box on the 42mm March scopes. I have a couple 52mm scopes and one 42mm on bolt rifles. I do think that the eye box on the 52mm scopes is more forgiving, but the 42mm is fine if set up properly. If you are looking for a (relatively) light weight high-end scope that you can use for both hunting and competitive shooting, March is hard to beat.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2016

OP,
                  I would take a look at the Leupold's VX6 HD line.

I have been looking at the 2-12x, for my Grendel.

Wt = 16.8oz according to spec. Exposed turrets and available with a variety of reticles. I like Leupolds Firedot reticle.

Saw a 3-15x model, wt = ~19ozs. Prices are in the $1500 range.

All models with HD glass, which in those power ranges should be really nice.

Just a thought.

SY

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Biggest thing to determine first is will the scope be able to take semi auto abuse, which is harder on the scope than even a magnum bolt gun in many cases.

With the 6.5 Grendel and the AR15 carrier, they are not as bad as an AR10, but you still do have the return-to-battery stroke of the action where the bolt, then the carrier slam into the breech with enough force to send impact forces through a scope that most scopes were simply never meant to take.

I've shot March a lot on bolt guns, but not the AR, however, they were the first company to come to my mind was well. I would also consider the March 1-10x24 at 19.75oz.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CastorTroy
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

I've got a Vortex Razor HD-LH 3-15 on my Savage 16 6.5 Creedmoor, and it's a pretty nice piece of glass. Being a 1" tube helps with the weight. I've had it out to 800 yards on steel, with good success. At ~$950 street price, it's on the cheaper end of the optics mentioned in this thread, but I think it'd do well

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Biggest thing to determine first is will the scope be able to take semi auto abuse, which is harder on the scope than even a magnum bolt gun in many cases.

With the 6.5 Grendel and the AR15 carrier, they are not as bad as an AR10, but you still do have the return-to-battery stroke of the action where the bolt, then the carrier slam into the breech with enough force to send impact forces through a scope that most scopes were simply never meant to take.

I've shot March a lot on bolt guns, but not the AR, however, they were the first company to come to my mind was well. I would also consider the March 1-10x24 at 19.75oz.
                        March work on an AR.

Comment

• Herodrh
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2016

If you drop over to Optics Talk forum there are some excellent reviews by a fellow named Ilya who is an optics guru. I was reading onne of his reviews of high end tactical scopes and a standout was the March 3-24x42 I believe. It had outstanding optics was quite compact and weighing in at around 19 or 20 Oz. By comparison my SWFA 3-15x42 scope is 23.4 Oz and it's bigger brother the 5-20x50 ffp scope is 30oz. I believe the illuminated version of that is another ounce and a half or so. Now the March is probably $2500.00 straight retail but I believe I saw it on a March US distributor site for around $1800.00. I doubt you will find more resolving power in a fully featured scope that is more compact or light. But, I could be wrong! RHH

Comment

• Herodrh
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2016

To edit my earlier remarks: that particular March scope is 3-24x42 with 8x zoom ratio, it's 21.9oz vice the 20 I had listed and it is 12.36 inches in length. I am not certain about their shock recoil rating but I'm going to guess they are quite stout. The SWFA tactical scopes I shoot are rated for. 50 BMG recoil and they have pretty much lived up to the stated spec. Sorry, I didn't want to give misleading info. That scope is ffp and utilizes a 30mm tube. If you were to add a Lancer or Nordic components carbon fiber tube to your build you would nullify 10 Oz of weight elsewhere. Food for thought!
                            Last edited by Herodrh; 08-09-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

The March glass is so good that I forgot I was on 2.5x with one while I was engaging targets out to 700yds.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X