X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todd458
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

I was with a group of friends today and none of them had anything really negative to say about the March. However two of them had Leopold's and one of them a night force . Saturday one of them bought the VX 6HD 3-18x42. We all looked through my Mark8 1.1x8 power and thought if it wasnt just as clear it was a tad better. I wouldnt have believed that if I hadn't seen it for myself. I think that scope list it for around $3200(mark8) or so. He's got a contact that he says he can get me the VX 6HD 3-18 x 42 for $1482 . Everything I've seen, I think that is one hell of a deal. I believe he does some shooting for them or demoing. I need to find out as he's good friends with a friend of mine.

Comment

• todd458
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

So let me ask you this guys. VX 6hd 3x18. Would you go with the 44 or the 50 mm . I've heard pros and cons with both.
      A friend of mine said that a Leopold rep told him that if he was older and his vision is not that good that 40 would be better than 50 because too much light could make things worse. Now mind you, that goes against everything that I've ever heard , as my vision has definitely gotten worse and I would think more like coming in would be a benefit . I was going to call Leopold myself but I'm sure some of you would know just the same

Comment

• todd458
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2017

Nice. What mounts are you using?

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by todd458 View Post
          Nice. What mounts are you using?
          SPUHR (Sweden)

The March has 120MOA elevation range (60 above and 60 below). More than enough for the longest supersonic range possible in the 6.5GR so a level scope is fine.

The Leupold VX-6HD 3-18*44 you are talking about has only 75MOA elevation travel (37 above and 37 below). That's cutting it fine for the longest range elevation you will need if you are ever in that situation. Maybe 40MOA for when the bullet goes subsonic. If you choose that scope you will need a 20MOA canted mount to maximise the utility of the calibre.
          Last edited by Klem; 08-10-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• todd458
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2017

Nice! #1Mount for Percision shooters

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Where is the Vortex Razor LH glass from?

I was about to pull the trigger on the Razor LH 3-18 for lightweight bolt action when I saw this thread and comments regarding March. I like that 2.5-25x42 from March.

I have opportunity to get Razor LH at 50% discount; so $550 for 3-18 Razor LH (approx 17 oz) or $1830 for a 2.5-25 March (21 oz)...is March worth the price difference?
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                Where is the Vortex Razor LH glass from?

I was about to pull the trigger on the Razor LH 3-18 for lightweight bolt action when I saw this thread and comments regarding March. I like that 2.5-25x42 from March.

I have opportunity to get Razor LH at 50% discount; so $550 for 3-18 Razor LH (approx 17 oz) or $1830 for a 2.5-25 March (21 oz)...is March worth the price difference?
                I went looking on Vortex's site and cannot see a Razor 3-18 at 17oz. There's a big 34mm Razor GENII HD 3-18*50 HD which is 46oz, and a 1" Razor with capped turrets 3-15*42 HD LH at 16.5oz. The others have different magnifications.

Which one are you talking about?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Vortex has a Razor HD hunting line with 1" tubes for lightweight hunting (LH) rifles. Newer product line.

The one I see is a 3-15x42 HSR at 16.5oz. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...escope/reticle
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Sorry...3-15x42 Razor HD LH, HSR-4, 16.5 oz

Last edited by BjornF16; 08-11-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

OK, the elevation range in the Vortex HSR4 is only 55MOA but with a 20MOA canted mount you will be able to shoot out to the furthest effective distance of this calibre without issue. Both scope's are made in Japan however without comparing the two it's likely the clarity will be better in the March. The smaller 44mm objective in the Razor theoretically transmits less light, especially noticeable at sunset and at night. The best night exit pupil for the average person's pupil (7mm) which is 6* in the Vortex and 7* in the March, but to be fair both are good hunting magnifications. I cannot vouch for recoil/repeatability in the Vortex but it's likely going to be very good. The specs on the field-of-view between the scopes look the same for the same magnifications.

A big difference (apart from price) between the two scopes is the 5x magnification range on the Vortex compared with 8x on the March for front focal plane, or 10x for the second focal plane. I am also curious as to why the Vortex has capped turrets; does this mean the scope is not waterproof with them off?

The price difference is in reputation, light clarity, magnification range and perhaps also repeatability if you could measure this in lab conditions (unlikely to be much difference in repeatability however). You might assume the March uses stronger components and is more robust but that would only be an assumption. Whether these differences are worth the difference in price is up to you. The Bench Rest discipline swears by March and those guys are as pernickety as they come. March pioneered the 10* zoom ratio which other manufacturers are copying so they are both innovative and know their stuff. Again, is all this worth the highest prices you pay?...up to you. They are both nice scopes.

I wouldn't buy the Vortex for the reasons mentioned above plus the graduations only come in Imperial/MOA. All my scopes are Mils graduations/Mils reticles. I live and work in metric which is more familiar to me, plus Metric is a decimal system so arguably more intuitive for fast calculations. Vortex is a US-owed company so understandably Imperial-biased. The USA is a big market which also explains the prevalence of MOA.

Why don't you buy the Vortex, sell it for a profit and buy a March? ;-)
                      Last edited by Klem; 08-11-2017, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• dega37
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2014

Speaking March scopes did you see this 1-8? How are you supposed to mount this thing? http://www.bullets.com/shop/brand_ma...cope?src=march

Comment

• CastorTroy
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2015

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm a big fan of the 3-15. Furthest I've had it out to is 800 yards, and it did very well.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
                            Speaking March scopes did you see this 1-8? How are you supposed to mount this thing? http://www.bullets.com/shop/brand_ma...cope?src=march
                            With pride?...You use only one scope ring like an Aimpoint. From the website (This special FFP scope has a very short front tube section and requires only one scope ring to mount.)

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Klem, where are you at? (I just caught the Twin Peaks reference...lol)

This wouldn't be for a Grendel, but rather 280 Rem. At sea level shooting 150 gr Accubond LR, drop at 500 yds is 8 MOA. This is the absolute maximum I would take a shot. If I re-barrel to 280 AI, I'll shoot 168 ABLR with approx 9 MOA drop.

If I were to put it on my Grendel bolt shooting 129 ABLR, then at 500 yd the drop would be approx 10 MOA; 1,000 yds (for fun) would be approx 35 MOA drop.

I think the capped turrets are a hat tip to hunters. I do prefer tactical style turrets.

Castor, how does the Razor HD LH perform in low light? My only concern is seeing reticle in low light against wood background. All my other Vortex's are illuminated.

Comment

• keystone183
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2013

Just in case you were looking for another option..... https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes

I know very little about these guys, other than they come from Nikon and there are a few good reviews on them. Seem to be good value, made in Japan.

A 3-15x42 at 20oz....

(sure wish someone would buy one and provide another review)

Comment

Working...
                                X