• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burt Macklin
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Newbie from Denton County

Hi all. First, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this site. This site has provided a wealth of knowledge about the 6.5 Grendel.

I was looking for another rifle caliber other than .223 or .308 in the AR platform. Looking for something I could confidently hunt with that had some "legs" on it but was lighter weight than the .308 platform. I don't reload so also needed a caliber that had ammo readily available for purchase.

The Grendel looks to cover all the bases and is beyond the wildcat phase of development. Wish there were more ammo options, but this will slowly improve as we get more converts to the caliber. FYI, I'm doing my part - I convinced a buddy to go Grendel as well. We both have a 6.5 LaRue upper kit on the way. Wasn't planning on another build so quickly as the Grendel I have only has 60 rounds through it, but the offer was to good to pass.

I'm limited on time today, and the 31st is my company's year end so I'll check in when I can but probably won't be the forums biggest contributor.

From what I've read here, there are a lot of people much smarter than me on the subjects discussed, so the forum may be smarter without me contributing.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Burt Macklin! I'm retired so I hang out here quite a bit but we have many members who read a lot and only post occasionally. Many forum members enjoy seeing other members 6.5 Grendel builds and range reports.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Burt, welcome to the Clan! I'm about 40 mi east of you, straight out 380, kmon is just south of me and there are a whole raft of us Grendelizers in this neck of the woods. It isn;t that we may be smarter ( or not ), we just got a head start on you.

Comment

• Burt Macklin
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2017

Thanks. One of the reasons I joined was so I could see the pics only available to members. Attempting to upload pic of my Grendel in this reply.

She shoots great, I'll save targets from next range visit to show results. Shooting 123 AMAX that I picked up when SWFA had on sale. When it runs out, will be moving to the Hornady Black for target and SST for hunting.

IMG_20170806_084118.jpg

Comment

• Burt Macklin
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Hey just_john, thanks. Saw that Fossil Pointe has a long distance shooting league 200 - 800 yards. I'm thinking about checking it out, I've never been to their range.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum from North Texas. Denton is my home, graduate of NTSU. Since acquiring my first Grendel, the 7.61X51 and 5.56X45 rifles have been safe queens.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

And there are others as well. Been talking to the folks at foulbore.com. they also have to 800 and then to a mile.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Welcome from Maine!!

I know all about year end... my wife works as an accountant for the federal government and we always dread year end
                .. no time for play..

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

There are 47 factory loads by my last count. Affordable ammo is plentiful on ammoseek.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Burt Macklin
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Comment

• Troutguide
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Fellow Denton county tax payer. Welcome lots of good and knowledgeable people on here.
                      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
                      X