X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Very glad you're ok enough to post here! Good testimony on the durability of Magpul's design.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• hdrolling
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Rob57 View Post
      I put an XLR tactical AR butt stock on my JP and am very happy with design and build quality. Lots of adjustments and rock solid - weigh 22 oz. Really helped to shrink my groups.

https://xlrindustries.com/collection...-ar-butt-stock
      Do you have any pics with this mounted?
      Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• DJL2
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

To me, minimalist stocks do a great job of looking good and poor job of most everything else. The hook shaped designed featured by most is great for snagging on cover, bags, benches, fences, gear...virtually everything. That same hook design also provides near zero functionality for using a rear bag or rest, or hand placement (if you prefer to shoot that way). Compared to the CTR it saves you...what...3 ounces? 6 ounces versus an ACS-L (or STR)? I've heard "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain" as often as anyone, but I'm not giving up a "proper" stock for a few ounces. That's just me though.

The LaRue RAT is worth a mention. It will not be fixed stock solid, but on my mil spec extensions it is close (I'm a Magpul and VLTOR guy, so that's my frame of reference - the RAT is a tighter, more solid fit than either). It also features a nice, smooth, angular bottom without protuberances. This is the reason I prefer the Magpul STR to the ACS, actually. That might be personal preference, but I prefer a smooth bottom surface with a consistent angle for use with bags, etc.

I am built a bit like a Dackel (Dachshund) compared to some here. If I get an off the rack shirt with the arms sized properly, the torso tends to run short. If the torso is the right size, the sleeves are probably too long. I run my adjustable stocks about halfway from nearly any shooting position. I learned "nose to charging handle" and that is how I habitually shoot. A well designed fixed stock is a wonderful thing...I wouldn't hesitate to switch if I found one that fit me well.
        Last edited by DJL2; 09-06-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• hdrolling
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DJL2 View Post
          To me, minimalist stocks do a great job of looking good and poor job of most everything else. The hook shaped designed featured by most is great for snagging on cover, bags, benches, fences, gear...virtually everything.

That's strange because everyone I've read about that owns one (including myself) have never had it snag on anything. It's light, it fits tighter than any other collapsible butt stock I own with no wiggle and they look great IMO.

The rear hook also fits very comfortably in my hand to use as a support.
          Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• DJL2
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by hdrolling View Post
            That's strange because everyone I've read about that owns one (including myself) have never had it snag on anything. It's light, it fits tighter than any other collapsible butt stock I own with no wiggle and they look great IMO.

The rear hook also fits very comfortably in my hand to use as a support.
            What can I say? I suppose I don't pass the 10% rule. FWIW, I have the same problem with BCM Gunfighter Charging handles with the large latch (and the med to a lesser extent). Loved 'em, ran 'em, enjoyed 'em - until I started carrying them and not just shooting them.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by kevperro View Post
              I swapped out my adjustable for the Magpul fixed MOE in rifle length and I couldn't be happier. I was worried that LOP would be too long for me because I'm short and stocky but I love it. The stock and shooting position comfort are so important to me. No wobble.... perfect cheek weld..... good price.
              I have both the fixed MOE and ACS-L. I prefer the fixed MOE. The ACS-L actually has a longer length of pull if that is a factor for you.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• DJL2
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                I have both the fixed MOE and ACS-L. I prefer the fixed MOE. The ACS-L actually has a longer length of pull if that is a factor for you.
                Is that their fixed MOE on the carbine extension? I was looking at that and...well...it IS tempting. I need to double check my typical LOP setup here and compare, I suppose.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by AZBackcountry View Post
                  I hope you took Klems advice in the 1st post reply. I used Magpul's MOE Rifle Fixed Stocks on all long range hunting AR's because I want a solid platform for accuracy. This last Saturday I put one of them through the ultimate test. My son and I were tracking an injured bear through the bottom of a very nasty AZ canyon over boulders the size of trucks while wearing packs. I lost my footing on a rock-slide and slid 30 ft using the stock as a trekking pole/rudder trying to protect the rest of the rifle and my arm. We were amazed that the stock survived with just some unique new textures. The buffer tube was undamaged also.
                  Lol love your signature. Jealous 1 here.
                  It amazes me those buffer tubes don't break more often or all the time. I was pretty giddy when I recently found a VSeven 316 SS buffer tube it strong as hell compared to the alum. Ones. Not light though obviously.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Midway has the UTG A2 stock, back in stock. I just bought another one last night. A2 stocks rock.

Now I have to start milling out a lower to have something to use it with.

Comment

Working...
                    X