• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todd458
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Help choosing Buttstock

I'm building a Percision/hunting rifle. 20 inch Bartlein medium contour barrel. Trying to decide on the stock. As you can see the bottom one only weighs 5.9 ounces and the heaviest is 19.2 ounces. Would like some input, as I'm sure some of you have used some if not all of them. I will use this gun for benchrest as well as hunting. As I stated I'm just trying to keep the weight down without degrading the gun. 6.5 Grendel cartridge

The Luth-AR MBA 3 weighs 19.2 oz: https://www.luth-ar.com/product/mba-3/

The Magpul ACS-L weighs 16.5 oz: https://www.magpul.com/products/acs-...stock-mil-spec

The magpul CTR weighs 8.8 oz: https://www.magpul.com/products/ctr-...stock-mil-spec

The MFT Battlelink Minimalist weighs 5.9 oz: http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/...-Milspec-Stock
    Last edited by todd458; 08-06-2017, 12:21 PM.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

With respect, I wouldn't use any of them for what you want to use it for.

A top-end barrel and scope for bench-rest will be at the mercy of any play in the stock if you go collapsible. Plus the MFT won't slide on a rear bag. I have used the bottom three but not the Luth.

I know it's a feature of AR15's to be able to collapse the stock but frankly, do you really need this? I ask the question because a collapsible brings with it the risk of play in what sounds like a scenario where you want it to be as rigid as possible. Certainly remove the MFT and CTR from the list. Like I say I haven't used the Luth but if it is a Magpul PRS equivalent you don't really need an adjustable butt and comb on an AR (certainly not the comb). And those adjustment features add unwanted weight.

With a 20" barrel you won't find that collapsing the stock a few inches is going to be of much benefit (unless you have a bag which it won't fit into otherwise, and that would be an example of the 'tail wagging the dog'). I would add an A2 fixed stock to your list. Something like Magpul's MOE. It's is arguably more rigid and with more storage space than a collapsible stock and rides the bags in bench rest better than most.

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

How about a fixed stock that keeps the weight down, has a pretty nice cheek weld, looks darn nice, and doesn't break the bank? https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-a1-c...l#.WYZ4W_cpDgA

Alternatively, https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...stock_a2_lengh (same stock)

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Todd your listed weight for the ACS-L is a typo, the stock itself tips the scale at 12.5oz, add 4 oz for the receiver ext. ACS-L rides a bag better for me than either the CTR and Minimalist and for the matter and not mentioned Moe SL, STR and Vltor just to broaden the field. As Klem thoughtfully eluded to none of those ride a bag nearly as well as an A1 or A2 nor are as solid. Last weekend while trying to make the smallest groups possible with my ACS-L I seemed to have a bit of issue getting it lay the same bwtn shots, I had it in the back of my head that I should fork out for an A1 (short arm disease) and try again as I know it would set up with better repeat ability.

Comment

• todd458
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2017

Great info guys. Thanks! I'm relatively new to the Ar platform. Right now I have a Falkor 223 wylde. The gun shoots extremely well, but as some friends told me once that bug bites you'll keep coming back for more. Been shooting the same bolt guns for 30 years,270s, 243's, 308's, etc. I'm going to pass these on to my builder. I wasn't aware of those two carbon fiber ones. Like I said I do want to carry this in the field so don't want it to be too heavy. But I do not want to sacrifice accuracy. Going to start researching them now before we speak on Monday.

Comment

• din
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

VLTOR IMod Clubfoot. Bow chicka bow wow.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I bought this A2 stock because I wanted a retro look on one of my lowers and I would buy it again. I would give up my other collapsible stock first.
              The length of pull seems about an inch shorter than a typical hunting rifle. Just right for me.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

I've used the Magpul STR in every build I've done and don't plan on changing. It's 12.3oz, but even on my lightweight builds i won't sacrifice comfort for weight.

It offers a great cheekweld when shooting off-hand, prone, and the bench, it has the "lock down" feature and has absolutely ZERO wiggle once locked down, and the six position feature is an absolute must for me for any AR other than one you are only going to shoot from one position with one set of clothing with one shooter.

My wife shoots my ARs, my kids shoot them, and I shoot them in the summer wearing just a t-shirt, and in the winter wearing bulky clothing. The six position stocks are what make my ARs a any time of year any situation any shooter kind of guns.

Comment

• Jakerz
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2017

I went with a Magpul PRS on my 22" Grendel build with a JP Barrel. I found out on my bolt gun that actual weight doesn't really mean as much as perceived weight. with a 20" barrel it may actually feel like the gun is lighter with a heavier stock to balance the gun out. My TRG actually feels lighter with a KRG Folder on it then the factory stock even though the folder is about twice the weight of the factory stock, just because the gun is way more balanced when you're holding it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a fixed A2 or the Magpul equivalent though.

Jake

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jakerz View Post
                    I went with a Magpul PRS on my 22" Grendel build with a JP Barrel. I found out on my bolt gun that actual weight doesn't really mean as much as perceived weight. with a 20" barrel it may actually feel like the gun is lighter with a heavier stock to balance the gun out. My TRG actually feels lighter with a KRG Folder on it then the factory stock even though the folder is about twice the weight of the factory stock, just because the gun is way more balanced when you're holding it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a fixed A2 or the Magpul equivalent though.

Jake

I don't think the OP is interested in the heaviest stock on the market at 28-31oz. The PRS may be Magpul's flagship and impresses a lot of shooters with its high price (including me! I mean it's crazy expensive so it must be good, right?). My experience of the PRS is that it is overpriced, heavy, and does not ride the bags well when bench resting. Very disappointing. I also have no use for the adjustable mechanisms which is a waste of potential storage space. Finally, it costs three times as much as an A2 MOE which is 14oz.

This idea of perceived weight due to a front-heavy gun does not sit well with me either. It's nice to hold a SBR or bullpup but practical AR's, suppressors and heavy barrel profiles will always have the balance point forward of the middle. If balance is an issue you will only notice this when shooting offhand after bringing it up to the aim. At all other times it is either slung or carried or rested . If front-heavy you hold the gun a little further forward at the balance point when stalking. If you think weight will help when bench-resting you can always fill the storage compartments of a stock like the MOE with shotgun pellets. Then empty it when hunting.

Comment

• Jakerz
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      I don't think the OP is interested in the heaviest stock on the market at 28-31oz. The PRS may be Magpul's flagship and impresses a lot of shooters with its high price (including me! I mean it's crazy expensive so it must be good, right?). My experience of the PRS is that it is overpriced, heavy, and does not ride the bags well when bench resting. Very disappointing. I also have no use for the adjustable mechanisms which is a waste of potential storage space. Finally, it costs three times as much as an A2 MOE which is 14oz.

This idea of perceived weight due to a front-heavy gun does not sit well with me either. It's nice to hold a SBR or bullpup but practical AR's, suppressors and heavy barrel profiles will always have the balance point forward of the middle. If balance is an issue you will only notice this when shooting offhand after bringing it up to the aim. At all other times it is either slung or carried or rested . If front-heavy you hold the gun a little further forward at the balance point when stalking. If you think weight will help when bench-resting you can always fill the storage compartments of a stock like the MOE with shotgun pellets. Then empty it when hunting.
                      Oh I wasn't suggesting he get a PRS, lol. I would just saying that I wouldn't get weight be the #1 priority based on the rest of his gun setup. I would go with the Magpul MOE over the PRS for his rifle.

Jake

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post

I wouldn't have guessed it from your avatar, but you must be blessed with the facial structure and upper body skeletal structure that fits right into a MOE stock. Everyone is different. I am in no way "in love" with the PRS on my JP 22er build, but the small amount of cheek rise I use is invaluable with a scope with a 34mm tube and 50mm objective. And I use all of the LOP adjustment - and I'm only 5'11". I just happen to have a long torso and long arms - so much so that I use a layback seat post on my Litespeed hard tail to get me in the best position (that's right - I replaced a perfectly good $100 Thompson post with another $100 Thompson post to move my center of gravity back an inch). I find adjustable stocks to be pointless because I am always at the longest setting. I have 2 ARFX stocks on build's with small objective optics that I do love and the main complaint I read about them is that the LOP is too long. I think they could be a tad longer. Consider yourself lucky! (And don't ask where I have to position the front triangular post in the peep sight of my Type 99 Arisaka - it's not in the center!)
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• todd458
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
                          How about a fixed stock that keeps the weight down, has a pretty nice cheek weld, looks darn nice, and doesn't break the bank? https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-a1-c...l#.WYZ4W_cpDgA

Alternatively, https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...stock_a2_lengh (same stock)
                          So what are y'all thoughts on these two synthetic stocks? Any consensus? They seem to be a good option. I don't know even know if I want to bring up my scope options LOL. I have the Mark 8 Leopold 1.1 x 8 on my 223. I'm thinking about possibly the 2 to 12 VX 6hd . Quite a few oz's lighter than 3x18. Never owned a night force . I know they're highly respected and was seriously considering it until I saw the weight.

Comment

• Jakerz
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by todd458 View Post
                            So what are y'all thoughts on these two synthetic stocks? Any consensus? They seem to be a good option. I don't know even know if I want to bring up my scope options LOL. I have the Mark 8 Leopold 1.1 x 8 on my 223. I'm thinking about possibly the 2 to 12 VX 6hd . Quite a few oz's lighter than 3x18. Never owned a night force . I know they're highly respected and was seriously considering it until I saw the weight.
                            You should pick up a Vortex Razor Gen II (48.5 oz) if you think that Nightforce is heavy! lol... seriously, you could use that scope as a boat anchor! I do hear one of the Razor AMG 6-24x50's (it's 29 oz) calling my name for my build though.

Jake

Comment

• todd458
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2017

⚓️

Comment

Working...
                              X